People who say cardio is "too boring" are full of crap

Options

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    LJOMalley wrote: »
    cardio is never boring. I love RPM class. Watching the sweat drip off the trainers gorgeous biceps while we ride up a few mountains is the best entertainment ever ;)

Ha sounds better than netflix
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    not everyone enjoys tractor pulls. People have different tastes.....and that's okay.

Slightly OT - that's a blast from the past - my family used to get involved with this back in the 70s and 80s. I actually had a couple of tractors over a period of a few years. One had a tank engine in.

I used to enjoy it. Or did I? Maybe it was just being caught up in my family's enthusiasm for it. Can't stand it now, would rather be cycling :)
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    tjkita wrote: »
    Cardio may be boring but it works for weight loss! Gotta get that heart rate up somehow!
    Incorrect. Lots and lots of people spend HOURS on cardio a week with no results. They may be fitter, but if their EATING isn't conducive to weight loss, they aren't going to lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

LOL. Just because people undo their deficit by eating too much, doesn't mean that cardio doesn't work for weight loss. Unless you want to imply that doing cardio automatically will result in a person eating too much, which is just silly. Many of us have used cardio as the primary way to increase energy expenditure and therefore deficit without having to restrict ourselves to very little food. And we've lost weight. So it obviously works.

For someone who advertises their expertise on every post, you should not be peddling misinformation. And saying cardio doesn't work for weight loss IS misinformation.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Cardio may be boring but it works for weight loss! Gotta get that heart rate up somehow!
    Incorrect. Lots and lots of people spend HOURS on cardio a week with no results. They may be fitter, but if their EATING isn't conducive to weight loss, they aren't going to lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

LOL. Just because people undo their deficit by eating too much, doesn't mean that cardio doesn't work for weight loss. Unless you want to imply that doing cardio automatically will result in a person eating too much, which is just silly. Many of us have used cardio as the primary way to increase energy expenditure and therefore deficit without having to restrict ourselves to very little food. And we've lost weight. So it obviously works.

For someone who advertises their expertise on every post, you should not be peddling misinformation. And saying cardio doesn't work for weight loss IS misinformation.

I normally don't like to be adversarial, but I cant agree more with you Traveler120.

If you think cardio doesn't work, then I don't think you have been doing cardio. You don't need to do any exercise to loose weight, just having proper nutrition can accomplish this. HIIT and Steady State cardio both have huge benefits in weight loss when incorporated with a proper nutrition plan. Yes you can loose weight by just weight training, but you could also loose weight doing nothing but dieting...

People usually discredit cardio because they can't stand the physical effects or mental duress it puts you through. Just cause people don't like it doesn't mean it should be down played in any facet.

• richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    When people say it's boring they are usually referring to indoor cardio on a treadmill or stationary. Going outside for a run/cycle or going up a mountain hiking, playing a sport etc are not boring.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I run I want to end up somewhere.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm 50/50 on this, I sometimes feel like I live on my stationary bike... I use it daily I read or watch youtube whilst working out, If I didn't I know I would not be able to do as much as I do and I would be so bored but I enjoy the exercise buzz if that makes sense.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It's like you think we all have treadmills in front of our TVs at home. Or maybe you just think it's incredibly interesting to watch news, sports and infomercials on gym TVs. Well, I don't think it's interesting. LOL @ that being so much fun.

I actually happen to love cardio, which I like to do outdoors, but I think stationary cardio machines (treadmills, bikes, ellipticals, etc.) are all super boring. Most of the crap on TV is boring, too. I don't sit on my couch and watch TV. So maybe you're the one who's "full of crap"? Just sayin... ;)

ETA: Don't know why somebody flagged the OP, though. It's not abusive. If you don't agree with it, that's cool, but don't flag it just because you don't agree!
  • old_me
    old_me Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When people say they find cardio boring....They obviously mean stationary equipment and not the type of people who'd rather sit on the couch. I would have to agree that cardio in the "stationary equipment" definition sense is boring.

Before life got too busy with kids and career balance, I used to row early mornings as part of a quad team. We trained for head races. I absolutely loved every second of that 90 minute cardio. It wasn't only exhilarating, it was also peaceful and meditative at the same time ...Being a part of nature, gliding over water.

Get my team on rowing machines or indoor rowing tanks during winter and it was BORING as hell. Although we were focused and did it as part of our winter training, the honest truth is that it felt like way more work than being outside on the lake ...Only because it was BORING! It was easy to show up at the docks at 5:30 am, but became a task when it was an indoor training session.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I normally don't like to be adversarial, but I cant agree more with you Traveler120.

If you think cardio doesn't work, then I don't think you have been doing cardio. You don't need to do any exercise to loose weight, just having proper nutrition can accomplish this. HIIT and Steady State cardio both have huge benefits in weight loss when incorporated with a proper nutrition plan. Yes you can loose weight by just weight training, but you could also loose weight doing nothing but dieting...

People usually discredit cardio because they can't stand the physical effects or mental duress it puts you through. Just cause people don't like it doesn't mean it should be down played in any facet.

What Niner is stating is that cardio doesn't directly contribute to weightloss. It increases energy expenditure which can result in a deficit. But weight loss will only occur with a deficit whether that be with or without cardio. I lose weight purely through strength training and a deficit soooo.

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel like I live on my stationary bike... I use it daily I read or watch youtube whilst working out.

Lately, I've been the same.

I'm trying to lift more because I know it's good for body composition and bone density as well as a few other things, but I seem to gravitate towards my exercise bike, elliptical or taking my 2 year old out for long trail walks.

• EternalSnow627_
    EternalSnow627_ Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Cardio is boring like I rather do other things like play video games,watch anime but I do however use a treadmill at home and watch movies or shows when I do it but I can't work out on it without watching something.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    It's boring and I hate it. So what? Shush.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,796 Member
    Options
    Cardio is tedious and kinda boring, I put a movie on while I run, but I can't focus on it because I'm focused on my run and how miserable I am, so it's a lot different than sitting and watching tv.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    Cardio is tedious and kinda boring, I put a movie on while I run, but I can't focus on it because I'm focused on my run and how miserable I am, so it's a lot different than sitting and watching tv.

This is exactly how i felt. I was too busy watching the minutes on the dreadmill to focus on what was on tv.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Cardio DOESN'T work for weight loss if there isn't a calorie deficit. One could do all the cardio they want, but if they still consume maintenance or higher, they aren't going to lose weight. That's NOT DISPUTED in any Journal of Science.
    Cardio can HELP to create a deficit, but the deficit is created more by INTAKE not output. Think about it, how long would it take to burn 500 calories? Now how long does it take to eat 500 calories? If one burned 300 calories from doing cardio, but ate 500 calories because they felt they exercised to offset it, then they are +200 calories on their eating. So no misinformation, it still comes down to CICO.
    Again, if you don't believe that, you'd still have to explain how so many do cardio for hours and hours a week, but don't lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Lol, I teach cardio based classes in kickboxing. I'm not AGAINST cardio. The point is that people get this idea that cardio is for burning fat and without doing it, they may not lose weight effectively. The CORRECT information is cardio is for fitness and health. It can HELP to create a calorie deficit, but as I've mentioned the deficit is more dependent on the intake, not the output.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• eok902
    eok902 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do cardio and strength training as well as Pilates and yoga every week. Of all my activities, I find my modest 5k run the most boring but actually that's part of its appeal for me. Running gives me a chance to go outside, disengage and switch off. Also, despite being boring (to me), I love the fact that I can do it and how I feel afterwards. And it doesn't stop me admiring people who love running but that's just not me.

As said by others up thread, people are diverse and have different motivations for doing things. One-size-fits all assumptions are rarely helpful.