People who say cardio is "too boring" are full of crap

Options

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Your toes sticking out of that cold water makes me shiver. I never got into dunking in an ice cold mountain lake in spite of all the opportunities. That finger hold is nice as well!

I'm kind of a baby about getting into cold water, but my girlfriend is brutal and won't accept my excuses.
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Boring is subjective.
    It is not like saying something is blue or green.
    Fun and exciting are antonyms to boring. So if someone says that cardio is "not exciting" or "not fun" they are saying the same thing as it being boring.

If I am watching a thriller on my couch, I feel as if that is exciting to me -- I am living vicariously through someone else.. It doesn't matter if the thriller is a series that I am binge-watching on a Sunday in my pjs. It is still exciting -- to ME.
    If I feel as if the above is more fun than running on a rubber belt with no end, then that is my prerogative.

Also, when most people say "cardio is boring!" they are talking about the indoor gym kind -- treadmill, elliptical, etc. Things where you're probably staring into space as you do it. They aren't talking about Zumba or rebounding or spin/soulcycle -- things with a fun atmosphere.
    I personally love Cardio -- I do classes, which can get more fun. I also like the treadmill right now because to me, it's a change.
  • BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I used to think that cardio was boring.. Then I got a Bowflex Maxtrainer, and it's no longer boring.. It's down right exhausting and epic.. Now I look forward to my time on it.. Finally a cardio machine that doesn't hold clothes!!! lol
  • laurens47
    laurens47 Posts: 117 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    trpj3hu61xpy.jpg
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It is so sad that most people seem to think of something like treadmill or stationary bike when they think of cardio.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Cardio while watching TV is boring to me because I can't focus on a hard workout and pay any attention to the show AND I can't really pay attention to an interesting show if I'm doing even an easy workout.

That leaves me with a boring workout and a boring show. No thanks. I'll take myself outside and have a nice non-boring run with music and a story.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to bash someone who doesn't like cardio. Please explain how doing X while sitting on the couch can be less boring than doing X while running?

preferences?

perhaps people find mentally stimulating activities such as watching TV more desirable?

How is watching TV from a couch more "mentally stimulating" than watching the same show while doing something else?

i can't concentrate on TV whilst bouncing around on a treadmill

I can't concentrate on tv while on the treadmill either and there are commercials since they don't have my DVR'd shows at the gym.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    jbirdgreen wrote: »
    Boring is subjective.
    It is not like saying something is blue or green.
    Fun and exciting are antonyms to boring. So if someone says that cardio is "not exciting" or "not fun" they are saying the same thing as it being boring.

If I am watching a thriller on my couch, I feel as if that is exciting to me -- I am living vicariously through someone else.. It doesn't matter if the thriller is a series that I am binge-watching on a Sunday in my pjs. It is still exciting -- to ME.
    If I feel as if the above is more fun than running on a rubber belt with no end, then that is my prerogative.

Also, when most people say "cardio is boring!" they are talking about the indoor gym kind -- treadmill, elliptical, etc. Things where you're probably staring into space as you do it. They aren't talking about Zumba or rebounding or spin/soulcycle -- things with a fun atmosphere.
    I personally love Cardio -- I do classes, which can get more fun. I also like the treadmill right now because to me, it's a change.

I have to leave for an appointment so last post for a while. This one is a perfect example of why I kept responding. If you like watching a thriller on your couch why can't you watch the same thriller while "running on a rubber belt with no end"? And I said several times it's your prerogative, I just don't understand saying it's more boring than doing the same thing while sitting still. This post, like many others, didn't seem to even read my point that if you like watching TV why don't you like watching TV while running?

My takeaway from this tread is that I didn't realize some people simply can't watch TV/movies while running. It never occurred to me, just like it never occurred to the one poster that a single mother would run on the treadmill at the gym because they have daycare. Live and learn.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    To be fair, some forms of cardio are extremely boring...droning away on some piece of stationary cardio equipment is boring as all hell regardless of whether or not there is a television present...getting out on the road for a ride on the other hand...doesn't get much better than that.
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I hate watching tv on a treadmill. I try to, to keep my mind on something other than how bored I am with running towards a stationary wall on a stationary machine, but my eyes cant focus well on the screen with all the movement. Not to mention, trying to read the captions during the show. Lot of work there.

If I am watching tv, which I rarely do, i much rather be stationary.

Rather just run outside. Its a bit harder( i live at the bottom of a hill), but so much more to look at.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I can't watch TV while on a treadmill, it makes me puke.

Running is boring.
    Cardio is not boring. I like kickboxing, I like Zumba, I like jumping rope and mixing in fun jumps.

Running is boring. It's freaking repetitive. Also good luck focusing on your breathing properly while trying to focus on a TV show. Watching TV with a devoted mind and watching it with a distracted mind (whether because you're running, on the computer, playing solitaire, etc.) are two very different things. - This is my answer to your specific question. Try having a conversation while watching a show and tell me if you enjoyed the show as much as you would have if you hadn't talked through it. Also. Sometimes the show you have on is ALSO boring (say you're at the gym watching one of those little TV's with 4 channels). Two borings don't make an interesting, as the saying goes.

So if by "cardio" you mean only running - then I think it's obvious why there are lots of people who don't like "cardio". But cardio is not only running.

I hope you understand that people have different interests in life. Part of those would be their exercise preferences. To think that everyone's brains work the same way is ... naive.

I recommend staying off that soapbox lol.
  • SpotLighttt
    SpotLighttt Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    It is so sad that most people seem to think of something like treadmill or stationary bike when they think of cardio.

The OP specifically mentioned watching TV while doing it and I think most of us have been responding to that. Watch a lot of TV while out canoeing or whatever?

lol!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I can't watch TV while on a treadmill, it makes me puke.

Running is boring.
    Cardio is not boring. I like kickboxing, I like Zumba, I like jumping rope and mixing in fun jumps.

Running is boring. It's freaking repetitive. Also good luck focusing on your breathing properly while trying to focus on a TV show. Watching TV with a devoted mind and watching it with a distracted mind (whether because you're running, on the computer, playing solitaire, etc.) are two very different things. - This is my answer to your specific question. Try having a conversation while watching a show and tell me if you enjoyed the show as much as you would have if you hadn't talked through it. Also. Sometimes the show you have on is ALSO boring (say you're at the gym watching one of those little TV's with 4 channels). Two borings don't make an interesting, as the saying goes.

So if by "cardio" you mean only running - then I think it's obvious why there are lots of people who don't like "cardio". But cardio is not only running.

I hope you understand that people have different interests in life. Part of those would be their exercise preferences. To think that everyone's brains work the same way is ... naive.

I recommend staying off that soapbox lol.

I can't watch anything too serious while I'm running on the treadmill -- it has to be something really fluffy otherwise I can't really follow it. There's no way I could binge watch a show that I'm seriously into or follow a movie.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I can't watch TV while doing any indoor cardio.. makes my head hurt.

Anywho who really cares? Not real sure how this should affect someone so seriously.

"Affect someone so seriously"? I spent a couple of minutes typing on the computer. I'm not suicidal. Seriously, read some of the threads on here, you don't have to be seriously affected to start a friggen thread.

you're furiously replying to everyone who disagrees with you

Sorry if I'm coming off as furious, just trying to get my point across.

Your point seems to be that people who say cardio is boring are liars that just don't want to admit it is too hard for them.

People have different interests. What is boring to me may be very enjoyable for someone else. And that is ok. We don't all have to like the same things.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    But I fold laundry while watching Scandal and honestly that is the only good thing on TV right now. I guess I could buy a treadmill and watch TV, while folding laundry, and running. That would be a challenge. Naw. I'll just stick to trails or icy sidewalks. Plenty of excitement for me. I just got a mountain bike. I'm either going to have a fun summer, break something, or both. I'm sad for people who do boring cardio while watching boring TV.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

The OP specifically mentioned watching TV while doing it and I think most of us have been responding to that. Watch a lot of TV while out canoeing or whatever?

Did I say that the OP's thinking of cardio as something to be done in front of a TV was not sad? ;)
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    So boring. Oh my god. I just can't even. It's so much more exciting to pick metal up and then put it down again.

33309256284_e51955e4d8_o_d.jpg

33267142152_060138318f_o_d.jpg

27080411036_54404fd0b3_o_d.jpg

31453343662_3cafb34537_o_d.jpg

I'm a fellow PNWer. see I don't consider the above photos to be cardio :)

its called living!

cardio to me is in a gym on a boring machine and yeah its boring.

and as for the post about watching tv and movies and why couldn't I do them while on a treadmill? because I don't want to! they are two completely separate activities to me. I watch movies with my kids and hubby while enjoying time together. I work out at a different time with other people. I like to keep these things separate