People who say cardio is "too boring" are full of crap

Options

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    @mburgess458 - What do you do for cardio/exercise? I see no picture, no stats on your profile. How is your fitness level? Do you run? Lift? Spend hours on a machine watching Netflix?

Can you keep up with me?

@mburgess458 - Still waiting. You've been on the site since I posted this last night. Why suddenly so shy?
  • ItsAllMental819
    ItsAllMental819 Posts: 68 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I don't do cardio for one reason - I HATE it but do find it boring also. Don't see the point of walking on a treadmill or riding a stationary bike (unless I was preparing for a competition - still boring) that's not going anywhere... I'd rather be outside or lifting weights. Just my opinion :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I LOVE U!. so so true!, lazy bums!, I do a different thing every day!, snowshoeing, skating, skiing, winters,, and summers, roller blading, kangoo jump running, stand up paddle boarding, I look for new and different things to do each day.I love to be different, I burn over 1000 calories a day, so so easy!!! SO MUCH FUN! WHAT A HIGH!, get off the couch you lazy bums!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    brittyn3 wrote: »
    Curious if OP is going to come back or not. Thread backfire?

I doubt that very much. Such a provocative title...
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I LOVE U!. so so true!, lazy bums!, I do a different thing every day!, snowshoeing, skating, skiing, winters,, and summers, roller blading, kangoo jump running, stand up paddle boarding, I look for new and different things to do each day.I love to be different, I burn over 1000 calories a day, so so easy!!! SO MUCH FUN! WHAT A HIGH!, get off the couch you lazy bums!

Okay. Come join me in a high intensity weight lifting session. Lift all they weights I lift. Then I'll join you for a session of cardio. Well see what you think after that.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    [soapbox] It drives me nuts when people claim they don't do cardio because it's just too boring. If sitting on a couch watching TV/movies isn't too boring for you then how can running on a treadmill/riding a stationary bike/etc. while watching the exact same TV/movies be too boring?

You aren't doing cardio because it's too hard or you don't enjoy sweating or whatever, not because it's too boring. If you don't want to do cardio then don't, just be honest with yourself. [/soapbox]
    Do you lift too? Because people that tend to do nothing but cardio and Zumba have the same "boring" speech about lifting. Just sayin'.
    Also, there's a big difference on running on a treadmill and running outside. Time passes MUCH FASTER when I run outside versus a treadmill.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm not trying to bash someone who doesn't like cardio.
    Lol, yes you are. You'd rather just have them say it out loud rather than use running on a treadmill as an excuse.
    Please explain how doing X while sitting on the couch can be less boring than doing X while running?
    I've ran on treadmills many times while watching TV. While not really "boring", I do have to pay more attention to running, than the actual show unlike sitting on a couch and watching the same show. It IS different when you watch between the two.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    If someone finds something boring, who am I to tell them otherwise. Not sure why you are letting other people drive you nuts as you say, in the end we are all different. You do you :)

It started driving me crazy when people would ask me what exercise I do... I tell them and they say "I can't do that, it would be too boring... I spent 8 hours sitting on the couch binge watching a show on Netflix". Then I noticed a lot of people on this board using the same excuse of it being boring.
    Lol, dude running on a treadmill is pretty boring. That's why I need TV to do it. :D:D:D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    tjkita wrote: »
    Cardio may be boring but it works for weight loss! Gotta get that heart rate up somehow!
    Incorrect. Lots and lots of people spend HOURS on cardio a week with no results. They may be fitter, but if their EATING isn't conducive to weight loss, they aren't going to lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• jenscolinharris
    jenscolinharris Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    For me indoor gym work is boring as f*!k. Treadmill, spin bike, weights, you name it. However, I work away weeks at a time on a vessel so indoor workouts are essential for me keeping on top of my fitness.

Can't do movies/TV while working out. Too busy concentrating on posture, breathing, counting and sometimes just bloody standing up.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    jbirdgreen wrote: »
    Boring is subjective.
    It is not like saying something is blue or green.
    Fun and exciting are antonyms to boring. So if someone says that cardio is "not exciting" or "not fun" they are saying the same thing as it being boring.

If I am watching a thriller on my couch, I feel as if that is exciting to me -- I am living vicariously through someone else.. It doesn't matter if the thriller is a series that I am binge-watching on a Sunday in my pjs. It is still exciting -- to ME.
    If I feel as if the above is more fun than running on a rubber belt with no end, then that is my prerogative.

Also, when most people say "cardio is boring!" they are talking about the indoor gym kind -- treadmill, elliptical, etc. Things where you're probably staring into space as you do it. They aren't talking about Zumba or rebounding or spin/soulcycle -- things with a fun atmosphere.
    I personally love Cardio -- I do classes, which can get more fun. I also like the treadmill right now because to me, it's a change.

I have to leave for an appointment so last post for a while. This one is a perfect example of why I kept responding. If you like watching a thriller on your couch why can't you watch the same thriller while "running on a rubber belt with no end"? And I said several times it's your prerogative, I just don't understand saying it's more boring than doing the same thing while sitting still. This post, like many others, didn't seem to even read my point that if you like watching TV why don't you like watching TV while running?

My takeaway from this tread is that I didn't realize some people simply can't watch TV/movies while running. It never occurred to me, just like it never occurred to the one poster that a single mother would run on the treadmill at the gym because they have daycare. Live and learn.

Because my dreadmill is not in my home theater. When I watch a movie I do not want be distracted by a rubber belt. I spent tons of money and time perfecting my environment to make it so I get completely removed from reality. This does not involve exercise.
    BOOM. I used to be an Audio/Video manager for Circuit City. We never involved exercise equipment in home theater setups. :D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I don't care for cardio. The only "cardio" I do is walking at a fast pace on a local trail or occasionally walk or walk fast at a high incline on the treadmill. I love lifting and could do that 7 days/week, 365 days/year if I could, but I need a rest day
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
    Except bad kareoke singing.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    If someone finds 'cardio' too boring for them then they're not doing the right cardio for them.
    Well that's subjective. With the exception of kickboxing and possibly outdoor biking, I find most cardio to be pretty boring. I can't kickbox all the time and bike riding (especially when it's windy) isn't that great either.
    I really like doing 5k/10k/half marathon events. I love the energy, the people-watching, the atmosphere. I'd do them 4-5x a week if I could. But for many reasons I cannot. So I need to do other things so that I can accomplish what I want (being able to run the entire event) when I do those events. Running outside is not always possible due to weather, logistics, etc. so I'm often on my treadmill in the evenings. I can't just walk/run on the treadmill. That is boring. As in there is nothing to entertain my mind. So I read (Kindle for running, real book for walking) or listen to music.

Walking/running outside is more entertaining, especially if I have someone with me...
    And see I have NO DESIRE to run a 5K much less any of the others. 2 miles is about it for me a day and the rest of the day I'm just actively moving around (NEAT).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I find treadmills or any "on the road to no where" exercise machines incredibly boring, no matter what exciting movie or show is playing on the tv.

But walking or jogging outside... I can do this for hours and enjoy every minute.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I like cardio... I used to hate it, cause I sucked at it, but once I done it for multiple years I found I really enjoyed how it made me feel. If you find ways to do cardio you can make it fun. You do not need to be on a treadmill prison for hours trying to achieve your goals, go outside! There is a world of fun cardio to be had have fun.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Aren't we all full of crap? I'm sure even the queen of England poos.

Car-URGH-dio is not fun.

How dare you, off with your head
    Our queen doesn't poo
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    OP if you like cardio do your cardio
    Who cares what others think and are doing
    I tell my daughter all the time, we don't all have to like the same thing
    P.s I think cardio is boring, esp on the treadmill. I feel like I am moving but getting nowhere
  • LJOMalley
    LJOMalley Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    cardio is never boring. I love RPM class. Watching the sweat drip off the trainers gorgeous biceps while we ride up a few mountains is the best entertainment ever ;)