I am starting a fast...any stories or tips?

Options
I am starting a water fast today and was wondering if anyone has ever tried one....what kid of success anyone has had, or any advice you could give me....anything helps! Thank you :)
♥Lacey

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I am starting a water fast today and was wondering if anyone has ever tried one....what kid of success anyone has had, or any advice you could give me....anything helps! Thank you :)
    ♥Lacey

Advice? Don't do it. Why are you wanting to do it? Religious purposes? Or just because?
  • spaceylacey
    Options
    For weight loss, and to try to learn some discipline...i have a hard time with yo-yo-ing....i was 27 pounds 3 weeks ago and went on an eating binge and have since gained 15lbs....so i want to get that off fast while teaching myself to deny the urge to eat...i often do it for no real reason....its an addiction i think.
  • aliasbee
    aliasbee Posts: 27
    Options
    Just keep telling yourself you can do it. Accept the hunger you feel as temporary (it is, you forget about being hungry over time.)

If you're having trouble, just tell yourself
    "Just one more hour" or other period of time, and when you make it, say
    "Oh, I made it an hour, what's one more?"

Good luck!
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think doing stuff ike fasting is probably part of the reason you are yo-yo ing. Starving yourself is probably going to lead you to a binge later. Reducing calories from your TDEE and exercising is going to help you a lot more in the long run. Does it take longer to come off? Absolutely. But it's a lot easier to maintain that type of weight loss.
  • nomeejerome
    Options
    For weight loss, and to try to learn some discipline...i have a hard time with yo-yo-ing....i was 27 pounds 3 weeks ago and went on an eating binge and have since gained 15lbs....so i want to get that off fast while teaching myself to deny the urge to eat...i often do it for no real reason....its an addiction i think.

You don't need a water fast. If you want to learn discipline, then start by stopping the yo yo crap. Sure, reducing calories to flippin nothing will help that number on the scale go down, but as soon as you start eating again that number will go right back up. And teaching yourself to deny the urge to eat? What? So you can keep up the binging behaviors? And the yo yo? You asked for advice and i stick to my initial response. Don't do it.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Soooooo how is undergoing a fast not a part of yo-yoing again?
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    My advice.... Dont do it. You can lose weight and learn better eating habits without starving yourself. That is just setting yourself up for failure.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    If youre fasting, you should not do it for more than about 5 days. When you come off the fast, start slowly by eating raw veggie and fruits, and slowly adding more things into your diet, otherwise you just gain back what you lost. I would recommend to seek advice from a doctor about fasting to make sure you are doing it safely.
  • emscol
    emscol Posts: 2
    Options
    I just collapsed after a few days.
    And then got into a mindset that ANY food afterwards made me feel greedy.
    My advice is that it's not sustainable.
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Instead of fasting, why don't you do the IF 16/8? Basically you skip lunch and you stop eating at 8 (so you have to eat in an 8 hours window). It helps you with the discipline, but it's not as tough as a complete fast. When I started doing the IF I realized two things:

1. I don't die if I don't have breakfast, I actually eat less if I don't eat breakfast
    2. I enjoy more my meals, because I'm looking forward to them, instead of just giving them as ready.

There are some groups in here that advocate IF and you'd try it if you want to. Some people are not made for this (like anything, every body is different!).

(I follow IF with 5:2 diet, again, it's working for me so I'm quite happy with this.).
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Not the site for water fasting support. But I have done this, and think it is great if you have knowledge and the right motivations. A great book on the subject is written by the doctor Herbert Shelton. Google and get that book! Fasting Can Save Your Life, is the name of it.
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My experience with fasting to kick off a weight loss program was not good. I would restrict and feel good about it, scale going down, etc.....then i would crack and have a little treat, then end up bingeing then saying "eff it" and i'm off to the races again of eating whatever and not exercising

later, rinse, repeat over and over again for yearsssssssssssss

now i'm looking at it as a lifestyle change. not doing anything radical, just lowering calorie intake and exercising. this is 6 months of doing this (size 16 to size 10, and i'm 48 and going through menopause)

1z1cxtz.jpg

no drastics necessary. don't deprive yourself, you don't need the headaches (literally)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    will power > water fast

if you're talking about intermittent fasting, well thats another story.
    do some research on that.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I advise against it. It's a dumb and desperate idea. does your body no good and is not sustainable. you would be much better off sitting down with a good book, like 'Good Calories, Bad Calories' and deciding on a diet approach you can manage for the long term. Make THAT decision today. Any diet that 'demands' discipline that is counter to your body's own intelligence is useless. your body's intelligence will fight you and win. go with what works for your body and that is easy to figure out and demands very little discipline. I've been on my own program for years now. I refine it, I learn, I don't 'count calories'. I eat when i'm hungry. there's still some weight I'd like to lose but my health is excellent. wise up. relax and solve this problem in a REAL way. not some harmful way that only wastes your time and somehow convinces you that you're undisciplined.
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    A fast for weight loss is the ultimate yo-yo, so by doing that you're embracing the yo-yo diet lifestyle. Nothing good will come long term from water fasting to try and loose weight quickly. The not eating after 8pm and eating a balanced responsible diet during the day is a good idea, that's real discipline. Also working out is discipline. Fasting will probably do more harm than good to your metabolism too which will cause weight gain later on.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    If you want to learn discipline, might I suggest taking a martial arts class instead of water fasting.
  • nomeejerome
    Options
    will power > water fast

That would be awesome if she was talking about IF
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My advice...don't do it. Please. This woman did, and I would not call her results successful.

http://forum.fitnessthroughfasting.com/showthread.php/2093-Michelle-s-40-Day-Water-Fast
  • spaceylacey
    Options
    I like that advice :) thank you
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    will power > water fast

That would be awesome if she was talking about IF

lol agreed, but not optimistic. ;)