I am starting a fast...any stories or tips?

Options

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    A fast for weight loss is the ultimate yo-yo, so by doing that you're embracing the yo-yo diet lifestyle. Nothing good will come long term from water fasting to try and loose weight quickly. The not eating after 8pm and eating a balanced responsible diet during the day is a good idea, that's real discipline. Also working out is discipline. Fasting will probably do more harm than good to your metabolism too which will cause weight gain later on.

Excellent post
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    My advice...don't do it. Please. This woman did, and I would not call her results successful.

http://forum.fitnessthroughfasting.com/showthread.php/2093-Michelle-s-40-Day-Water-Fast

Was just going to post this.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Lineape
    Lineape Posts: 9
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting, normally on a 16/8 split, but I often try to make the fasted state last as long as I can.

First off, coffee. Drink lots of coffee. Depending on how strict you are, you can drink it black, with sweetener, or even a splash of milk. I use skim, and it probably only adds 5 or 10 calories. I probably burn that getting up to make the damn thing.

Sugar-free gum is also good. Lets you chew on something, but without the calories.

Most important, do something! Don't sit around thinking about all the food you could be eating. Go out for a run, read a book, etc, etc.

I find that I'm at my most productive when I'm in my fasted state. Maybe reorganize that closet that's been bugging you.

Have fun, and good luck!
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Read up on intermittent fasting there are groups on here, make sure do it properly if you dont do the research and find out if its the right thing for you then its guna be more harmful that helpful !
  • spaceylacey
    Options
    she lost 42 pounds though, @ a pound a day....i think that is successful...if i do 15 days i should be about where i want to be and then wean myself slowly back to a healthy diet...thats what i am thinking anyway
  • spaceylacey
    Options
    it is yo-yo-ing....i know....i just cant even fit into my clothes right now and need a fast fix...that is my biggest concern right at the moment
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    she lost 42 pounds though, @ a pound a day....i think that is successful...if i do 15 days i should be about where i want to be and then wean myself slowly back to a healthy diet...thats what i am thinking anyway

so youre going to take in nothing but water for 15 days?

and there really is no quick fix. if there was, this site wouldnt exist or maybe it would be called My Fasting Place.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    She also had painful gout, dizzy spells, icky white film on her tongue, bad breath, dry mouth, headaches...not to mention whatever damage she may have done to her body that we don't know about. It's just not worth it.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Let us know how it goes!
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    put me in the don't do it camp. I know you can find a study for anything but ones I have seen show that people who fast or do extreme weight loss programs end up putting it all back on and usually more within 6-12 months.

Be patient and try to eat properly, try for 10-15% less calories and exercise more. That is generic advice, but is what is tried and true and does work.
  • JessieMaeH82
    JessieMaeH82 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I tried yesterday and FAILED miserably! I BINGED when I got home. It was awful.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Let us know how it goes!

you wanna set up a placeholder for her "i lost 15lbs on a fast and gained it all back" thread, or should i?
  • l_clc
    l_clc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I did this when I was a teenager. My advice is don't do it, you really don't need to put yourself through that! I lost about 17lbs, but guess what? As soon as I started eating again I gained it all back. It's torture, you have no energy and it's not worth it. Eat sensibly...at a deficit and move more. The weight will come off and stay off :) Good luck!
  • DancingDreams1234
    Options
    I have two friends who went on the lemonade diet, and it's pretty close to water fasting, and they both said it was not a pleasant experience. The mood swings, the hunger, the tiredness, the fact you can't concentrate. Eat healthy, it's not difficult.
  • wannabhealthy50
    wannabhealthy50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Not a smart move, in my opinion. You will only lose water weight and as soon as you start to eat again, whether healthy choices or not, you will gain it all right back and be right back where you started. Start today by choosing to eat healthy foods, lean protein first, then vegetables, then fruits, then healthy carbs.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think doing stuff ike fasting is probably part of the reason you are yo-yo ing. Starving yourself is probably going to lead you to a binge later. Reducing calories from your TDEE and exercising is going to help you a lot more in the long run. Does it take longer to come off? Absolutely. But it's a lot easier to maintain that type of weight loss.

^^^^^
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My advice...don't do it. Please. This woman did, and I would not call her results successful.

http://forum.fitnessthroughfasting.com/showthread.php/2093-Michelle-s-40-Day-Water-Fast

Omg.. that was awful to read!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, and to try to learn some discipline...i have a hard time with yo-yo-ing....i was 27 pounds 3 weeks ago and went on an eating binge and have since gained 15lbs....so i want to get that off fast while teaching myself to deny the urge to eat...i often do it for no real reason....its an addiction i think.

Just another bump on your endless yo-yo ride. When you stop considering nonsense like this, you will stop yo-yoing.
  • wannabhealthy50
    wannabhealthy50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering...did she keep those 15 lbs off and continue to lose?