WTF???

Options
I don't EVER post about myself by I'm desperate!!

It seems, and I'm sorry this is a rant, that I cannot lose weight. I have tried every diet, every kind of exercise (when I could) including; going to the gym, going to curves, swimming, and walking, all have failed me. I try to eat right, drink water and for what? to not lose any weight. Ugh, I get so damn pissed off every week it's the same old thing - no weight loss. I worked my butt off in the pool yesterday (everyday that I'm there really) and I'm just so sick of trying. I look the mirror because people say "You will see results in how you look" Or "You will know when your clothes get loose" and it's funny, I actually start to think that my clothes are getting loose however it's my mind playing tricks on me probably cause I want it sooooo bad. I at a loss here.

Granted the last week or so was crazy and I did not eat as well as I should have....With that said, I have eaten below my allowed calories and I have eaten back most of my exercise calories (on most days), so what the F gives here? What am I doing wrong? I need help, obviously. I am open to any suggestions, comments or constructive criticism.

Thank you, Melissa

Edit** I guess I should add that I have been off of MFP for long time (no internet) and have been back on for only a month or two. I don't eat at fast food everyday, I try to eat healthy when I can. I have injuries to my back, knee and ankle that is why I swim.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!

Firstly, you don't lose weight through exercise. It will help you look and feel better, but really, to drop the pounds you have to concentrate on your diet.

How good are you at logging foods? I see a number of gaps in your diary. Make sure you log everything. Then have a look at what you're eating and see if it could be improved.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your food diary a month+ back in time.

About 50% of the time you don't log at all, and 20% of the time you only log breakfast. Almost everyday that you do log you are under your calories by 300-1000calories. (Also I think maybe you need to take a serious look at whether you truly burn 1600 calories exercising, that would be extremely difficult)

I hate to state the obvious, but maybe you need to be more consistent with this calorie counting before claiming it doesn't work for you?

Also your ticker says you lost 17lbs, is that not true?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Your ticker shows you've lost 17 lbs, so something must be working somewhere! :tongue:

When you say you've tried everything, how long have you stuck with an exercise or way of eating before deciding it didn't work, and changing it? It can take 4-6 weeks before the body adjusts to new workouts or calorie intake and you start seeing results.

And I agree with the others - lots of gaps in your diary, and tracking that food is key. Log everything, use measuring cups and a food scale - if you don't have one, get one - totally worth it, and they aren't expensive (I've seen them at Costco and Target recently).

I have had my best success since I started using the info in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

I used the tools and info there to find my BMR and TDEE and eat in between those two numbers. Absolute best results with fat loss using this method! I exercise 5-6 days a week, an average of an hour a day - 3 days of weights (dumbbells at home), kickboxing and/or walking my dogs, and 3 days of running (3-5 miles). My diary is open and my story is in my profile - feel free to have a look.

Eat well, drink water, exercise, get good rest - and most importantly - have patience! Hang in there!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You need to log consistently. You said the last week or so was bad but even bad days must be logged. if all you have to go on are halfway decent days and half logged days, you will never ever be able to put a pin on exactly what your weight loss problems are. Look, I used to do the same thing. I "thought" I ate ok but once I started consistently logging, boy was that an eye opener!

Try to eat better. More fruits and veggies, less processed foods. I'm no clean eater but I've made small changes over the years and try to eat more whole foods than not. I still have pizza and chocolate and chinese take-out but try to limit it to one thing per week or only if it fits in my calorie/macro goal. This works well for me to because it gives me a good reason to put off temptations.

Be careful with the exercise calories as some listings on MFP are overestimated. Shoot for eating back more like 1/2 to 2/3rds what they give you. And don't use the extra calories as an excuse.

Plan your meals as much as you can. This can also help avoid temptations. if you know you've got a meal in the crockpot or chicken in the fridge that'll go bad if it's not cooked tonight, you're not going to waste that food by stopping at a fast food joint on the way home.

Set goals. I don't like weight loss goals because the number on the scale can be tripped up by several factors. Instead set fitness goals, maybe sign up for a charity event (walk) and work to do a certain time before it happens. For instance I signed up for a 10k the fall of my first year losing weight and I spent that spring and summer walking like crazy to get the distance down and then try to increase my speed a bit.

Don't just go by how your clothes feel, take actual body measurements so you know for sure. And/or take progress pictures. We don't always see changes in the mirror but pictures can show a lot!

Good luck, you can do it!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    how can you fix what you are doing if you don't know what you are doing?

START RECORDING EVERYTHING.

It' will show you your weakness much more quickly than we can.

And I can almost guarantee you aren't burning 1600... I am obscenely busy- and I work out ALL the time. I don't burn that much.
  • sayrejf
    sayrejf Posts: 3
    Options
    I am new here too. I am confused as to how many caloires i should be eating. My BMR is 1882 calories a day. My exercise plan shows buring approx. 350 calories a day - 4 days a week. I cannot excersise very strenously as i have low back and feet issues along with fibromyalgia. Anyway for my daily caloric intake should it be 1882 or should I be addng in my exercise calories and eat approx. 2232 a day.- which doesnt make sense. RIght now (only 4 days in) i am having trouble hitting 1200 a day. thanks for the help!
  • daftthoughts
    Options
    What the posters above said is true - not logging foods or eating below 1200 calories (if that's why your log shows gaps) will hurt your body's ability to lose weight.

You have set your daily calorie goal to 2,322 now after you had it set to 1,500. How tall are you and how much do you weigh now?

I'm 6'1"/1.86m and weigh 275lbs/124,9kg right now, and to lose 1 1/2lbs a week I need to stay below 1890 calories a day, and that's mostly because I'm really tall! If you're shorter than me, then your goal needs to be lower or equal to mine depending on how much you want to lose a week.

That said, DON'T over estimate your calories burned! MFP's values are quite off by default, so if you overestimate how much you burned by several hundred calories and you eat those calories back, you're not eating a deficit of calories. I've heard that walking is the only exercise MFP has that's relatively accurate (which is the only exercise I currently do) and I still am careful to eat only about 50% of those calories burned back just in case.
  • wannabhealthy50
    wannabhealthy50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Do you log everyday? Are you honest about what you log? Do you weigh and measure everything you put into your mouth? Do you eat protein first? These are vital to weight loss!
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!

Firstly, you don't lose weight through exercise. It will help you look and feel better, but really, to drop the pounds you have to concentrate on your diet.

How good are you at logging foods? I see a number of gaps in your diary. Make sure you log everything. Then have a look at what you're eating and see if it could be improved.

Thank you for B~Day wish! I had been off of here for quite some time. I lost internet and the only reason I am now is because I am at my daughter's place. Before I lost internet I logged in daily.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you need to lose close to 200 lbs it's impossible that you can't lose anything. Be honest with yourself, honestly log or track your food intake and the pounds will come off. You can't exercise off the weight without doing the work with your food intake as well. It sounds harsh but losing weight is not that hard if you really put in the effort and stop making excuses why you're that special snowflake that can maintain 200 lbs of extra fat no matter how hard you try.

Quit eating back your exercise calories as well, or only eat back a small portion of them. Most likely you aren't really burning nearly what you think you are.
  • Mgregory723
    Options
    I took a peek at your food diary a month+ back in time.

About 50% of the time you don't log at all, and 20% of the time you only log breakfast. Almost everyday that you do log you are under your calories by 300-1000calories. (Also I think maybe you need to take a serious look at whether you truly burn 1600 calories exercising, that would be extremely difficult)

I hate to state the obvious, but maybe you need to be more consistent with this calorie counting before claiming it doesn't work for you?

Also your ticker says you lost 17lbs, is that not true?

Thank you for your comment, I had lost internet so yes, my logging is lacking. I have lost 17 lbs but that has been for a year. I have been trying to get below 300 for a year now. I stay between 307 and 302 not a pound less. I have injuries to knee, back and ankle and I am in pain most days......Even without logging I eat the same.
  • Mgregory723
    Options
    If you need to lose close to 200 lbs it's impossible that you can't lose anything. Be honest with yourself, honestly log or track your food intake and the pounds will come off. You can't exercise off the weight without doing the work with your food intake as well. It sounds harsh but losing weight is not that hard if you really put in the effort and stop making excuses why you're that special snowflake that can maintain 200 lbs of extra fat no matter how hard you try.

Thank you for your comment. Harsh is what I need right now. I guess I should have put that I have been off for months (didn't even think if it) but anyway, you are right I Do need to work on my diet and that is why I am reaching out.
  • Mgregory723
    Options
    Do you log everyday? Are you honest about what you log? Do you weigh and measure everything you put into your mouth? Do you eat protein first? These are vital to weight loss!

Thank you for you comment. Here are your answers: I try to log in everyday when I have access to the intenet. Yes, I am honest about what I put in my mouth. I weigh but I haven't really measured along the way. I have a really-really hard time eating in the morning, I have to force myself.
  • laineretail
    laineretail Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I definitely think you're over-estimating your exercise calories and think that's the culprit. I can't imagine any exercise I do burning over 1,000 calories.

And you may want to get your thyroid checked just to rule that out.

It can be so frustrating. Good luck on your journey.

Laine
  • Mgregory723
    Options
    Your ticker shows you've lost 17 lbs, so something must be working somewhere! :tongue:

When you say you've tried everything, how long have you stuck with an exercise or way of eating before deciding it didn't work, and changing it? It can take 4-6 weeks before the body adjusts to new workouts or calorie intake and you start seeing results.

And I agree with the others - lots of gaps in your diary, and tracking that food is key. Log everything, use measuring cups and a food scale - if you don't have one, get one - totally worth it, and they aren't expensive (I've seen them at Costco and Target recently).

I have had my best success since I started using the info in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

I used the tools and info there to find my BMR and TDEE and eat in between those two numbers. Absolute best results with fat loss using this method! I exercise 5-6 days a week, an average of an hour a day - 3 days of weights (dumbbells at home), kickboxing and/or walking my dogs, and 3 days of running (3-5 miles). My diary is open and my story is in my profile - feel free to have a look.

Eat well, drink water, exercise, get good rest - and most importantly - have patience! Hang in there!

Thank you for your comment. I am not sure how long I stick with a plan...seems like forever. I will look into a food scale as soon as I move and I will check out that thread too. I don't sleep well due to the pain and I do not drink enough water....all things I am willing to work on.
  • Mgregory723
    Options
    You need to log consistently. You said the last week or so was bad but even bad days must be logged. if all you have to go on are halfway decent days and half logged days, you will never ever be able to put a pin on exactly what your weight loss problems are. Look, I used to do the same thing. I "thought" I ate ok but once I started consistently logging, boy was that an eye opener!

Try to eat better. More fruits and veggies, less processed foods. I'm no clean eater but I've made small changes over the years and try to eat more whole foods than not. I still have pizza and chocolate and chinese take-out but try to limit it to one thing per week or only if it fits in my calorie/macro goal. This works well for me to because it gives me a good reason to put off temptations.

Be careful with the exercise calories as some listings on MFP are overestimated. Shoot for eating back more like 1/2 to 2/3rds what they give you. And don't use the extra calories as an excuse.

Plan your meals as much as you can. This can also help avoid temptations. if you know you've got a meal in the crockpot or chicken in the fridge that'll go bad if it's not cooked tonight, you're not going to waste that food by stopping at a fast food joint on the way home.

Set goals. I don't like weight loss goals because the number on the scale can be tripped up by several factors. Instead set fitness goals, maybe sign up for a charity event (walk) and work to do a certain time before it happens. For instance I signed up for a 10k the fall of my first year losing weight and I spent that spring and summer walking like crazy to get the distance down and then try to increase my speed a bit.

Don't just go by how your clothes feel, take actual body measurements so you know for sure. And/or take progress pictures. We don't always see changes in the mirror but pictures can show a lot!

Good luck, you can do it!

Thank you for your comment. You gave good advise!
  • Mgregory723
    Options
    how can you fix what you are doing if you don't know what you are doing?

START RECORDING EVERYTHING.

It' will show you your weakness much more quickly than we can.

And I can almost guarantee you aren't burning 1600... I am obscenely busy- and I work out ALL the time. I don't burn that much.

Thank you for your comment!
  • Th3stral
    Th3stral Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Have you been to your doctor? There are medical situations (insulin, cortisol, thyroid, oestrogen/progesterone balance) which can seriously hamper weight loss. At over 300lb just making a few small changes to healthier options should see at least a small weight loss each week, especially if you are swimming regularly. If your genuinely sticking to a sensible calorie restriction and it's not coming off then something could be amiss with your chemistry.
  • Mgregory723
    Options
    What the posters above said is true - not logging foods or eating below 1200 calories (if that's why your log shows gaps) will hurt your body's ability to lose weight.

You have set your daily calorie goal to 2,322 now after you had it set to 1,500. How tall are you and how much do you weigh now?

I'm 6'1"/1.86m and weigh 275lbs/124,9kg right now, and to lose 1 1/2lbs a week I need to stay below 1890 calories a day, and that's mostly because I'm really tall! If you're shorter than me, then your goal needs to be lower or equal to mine depending on how much you want to lose a week.

That said, DON'T over estimate your calories burned! MFP's values are quite off by default, so if you overestimate how much you burned by several hundred calories and you eat those calories back, you're not eating a deficit of calories. I've heard that walking is the only exercise MFP has that's relatively accurate (which is the only exercise I currently do) and I still am careful to eat only about 50% of those calories burned back just in case.

Thank you for your comment. I am 5'4" and weigh 306 as of today (weigh in days are Friday) How do I know what calories I have burned if not through MFP?
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bump