Exercising but no results

Options

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Well...there has been an ongoing debate on here for the 6 years i've been here that a calorie is a calorie. And if you are eating within your range you are good. I can tell you for a fact that is NOT true. I looked back at your diary and to be honest, i would say not feeling better and no results is coming from your eating. I am from USA and you have some different foods logged that i dont know, but eating bread and jam for breakfast and cheeseburgers and candy etc is not going to get you results. 80% of results come from food! Clean up your diet. More grains, eggs, tuna and fruits and veggies and you WILL see results i guarantee it. Try some homemade salads with a protein or two and lots of veggies with homemade dressings, oatmeal instead of bread and biscuits in the morning, low calorie cheese stick and a hardboiled egg to replace the yogurts, add avocado into your diet, etc. Hope this helps.

If I consume over my calorie budget with, just spinach I am going to; gain weight! While high volume, nutrient dense & low calorie consumables help with satiety they, don't cause; weight loss themselves!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    As for not feeling fitter, it takes more than 7 weeks of exercise 3-4 times a week to build noticeable muscle and/or get in great cardiovascular shape. It is a good start - keep it up! :)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Full stop. Doesn't even require exercise, but of course it's better with.

fascinating, but not helpful or relevant.

how is it not relevant??? it is directly addressing the problem presented~!

No it's not. It's stating a fact that's as obvious as gravity and thusly isn't at all useful in analyzing the problem.

It's a facile way to run off new posters and discourage them from having meaningful interactions.

how is telling someone to eat in a calorie deficit going to scare them off?

Because what you're saying is "you're too stupid to know this"

Thus, not helpful or relevant.

Other unhelpful phrases

Water is wet.
    The floor is down.

But it's not calling anyone stupid. Just because its obvious to you, doesnt mean it's obvious to everyone. There are honestly people who do not know this. If you've spent any length of time in the forums, you see posts frequently about people thinking all they have to do is work out/eat clean/low carb/whatever, and calories don't matter. We have the great fortune of living in the MFP bubble where this is discussed frequently, but there are lots of people out in the world who don't know this either.

In this case it is, since he started out by stating that he's only getting 1800 Calories.

Now, a quick review of his diary shows that what he needs to do first is log accurately and completely.

At which point, when he actually gets to 1800 Calories, he'll likely lose weight
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Well...there has been an ongoing debate on here for the 6 years i've been here that a calorie is a calorie. And if you are eating within your range you are good. I can tell you for a fact that is NOT true. I looked back at your diary and to be honest, i would say not feeling better and no results is coming from your eating. I am from USA and you have some different foods logged that i dont know, but eating bread and jam for breakfast and cheeseburgers and candy etc is not going to get you results. 80% of results come from food! Clean up your diet. More grains, eggs, tuna and fruits and veggies and you WILL see results i guarantee it. Try some homemade salads with a protein or two and lots of veggies with homemade dressings, oatmeal instead of bread and biscuits in the morning, low calorie cheese stick and a hardboiled egg to replace the yogurts, add avocado into your diet, etc. Hope this helps.

Nope.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/39285070#Comment_39285070

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it/p1

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

A calorie is a unit of energy, and yes a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

You have a lot to learn.

Ironic post is ironic.

If I run a precisely measured one mile course, does it make a difference if it's uphill, downhill, in the rain, in the snow, in 110 degree heat, whether I'm barefoot, wearing running shoes, dress shoes or combat boots? Does it make a difference if I run it at 3:08 in the morning, 12:00 noon or 6:37 pm? Does it matter if I'm fasted or have a full stomach? Does it matter if I'm a 6'4" male or a 5'1" female? 18 years old or 72 years old?

Tell me which of those things would change the fact that I ran one mile. Yeah, it's kinda like that with calories too. They're a unit of measure, just like a mile is.

This should be stickie'd. very good way to explain it. i've tried the an hour is an hour if your watching your favorite show or stuck at the DMV. . .they just feel way different. But are still both the same amount of time.

• Darrenmh316
    Darrenmh316 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Have people been able to look at my diary? Can you see the exercise too? I've been doing it for about 50 days only the last couple i haven't logged as I felt disheartened.

I'm 33 by the way and weigh 12 stone currently. At my heaviest I've been 13 and a half stone but want to be 10 and a half stone
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Have people been able to look at my diary? Can you see the exercise too? I've been doing it for about 50 days only the last couple i haven't logged as I felt disheartened.

I'm 33 by the way and weigh 12 stone currently. At my heaviest I've been 13 and a half stone but want to be 10 and a half stone

I just looked through your diary and the handful of days I looked at you were eating 3000-4000 calories per day! a lot of this thread went sideways with some other discussions - but this is your problem - I don't see how you are anywhere near the 1800 you said.
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

You have a lot to learn.

no, you obviously do.

all calories are the same from an energy standpoint; however, they do not all contain the same nutritional profile THAT is the difference.

so 100 calories of cake = 100 calories of carrots from an energy perspective; however, they do not contain the same nutritional profile.

Yes. Basically the exact same thing i said if you read my entire post. His eating has tons of room for improvement. So, everything i listed vs the twinkie diet someone else mentioned are not going to have the same results of the same calorie count. He is saying he saw no results in 50 days. Yet he probably has more activity than i do. Yet, i was on mfp for 35 days and lost 13 pounds. Yet, my diary was cleaner eating than his. However you want to take that. I had a valid suggestion with telling him to look at what he's actually putting in his mouth. Calories are not the only thing that matter. NUTRITION MATTERS!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

You have a lot to learn.

no, you obviously do.

all calories are the same from an energy standpoint; however, they do not all contain the same nutritional profile THAT is the difference.

so 100 calories of cake = 100 calories of carrots from an energy perspective; however, they do not contain the same nutritional profile.

Calories are the only thing that matter for weight loss

FTFY
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

You have a lot to learn.

no, you obviously do.

Yes. Basically the exact same thing i said if you read my entire post. His eating has tons of room for improvement. So, everything i listed vs the twinkie diet someone else mentioned are not going to have the same results of the same calorie count. He is saying he saw no results in 50 days. Yet he probably has more activity than i do. Yet, i was on mfp for 35 days and lost 13 pounds. Yet, my diary was cleaner eating than his. However you want to take that. I had a valid suggestion with telling him to look at what he's actually putting in his mouth. Calories are not the only thing that matter. NUTRITION MATTERS!

no, you said a calorie is not a calorie and then went on to say that OP should clean up his diary without even addressing the fact that he was inaccurately logging. He needs to reduce overall calories and accurately log.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options

You have a lot to learn.

no, you obviously do.

Omg...really. Yes. Basically the exact same thing i said if you read my entire post. His eating has tons of room for improvement. So, everything i listed vs the twinkie diet someone else mentioned are not going to have the same results of the same calorie count. He is saying he saw no results in 50 days. Yet he probably has more activity than i do. Yet, i was on mfp for 35 days and lost 13 pounds. Yet, my diary was cleaner eating than his. However you want to take that. I had a valid suggestion with telling him to look at what he's actually putting in his mouth. Calories are not the only thing that matter. NUTRITION MATTERS!

While nutrition matters, that doesn't cause weight loss/gain only; calories do!