Exercising but no results

Options

Replies

• danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    A_Rene86 wrote: »
    Well...there has been an ongoing debate on here for the 6 years i've been here that a calorie is a calorie. And if you are eating within your range you are good. I can tell you for a fact that is NOT true. I looked back at your diary and to be honest, i would say not feeling better and no results is coming from your eating. I am from USA and you have some different foods logged that i dont know, but eating bread and jam for breakfast and cheeseburgers and candy etc is not going to get you results. 80% of results come from food! Clean up your diet. More grains, eggs, tuna and fruits and veggies and you WILL see results i guarantee it. Try some homemade salads with a protein or two and lots of veggies with homemade dressings, oatmeal instead of bread and biscuits in the morning, low calorie cheese stick and a hardboiled egg to replace the yogurts, add avocado into your diet, etc. Hope this helps.

Hey lady, see this part where you say you can tell him for a fact that it's not true that eating within his range is enough? This is the problem. I don't see anything in that statement that suggests you understand that deficit is all that matters for weight loss.

Nutrition is huge for weight loss! He said in 50 days he saw no results. My nutrition differed from his and i had less activity than he did and lost 13 pounds in less than his 50 days. So, yeah it has something to do with it. I never once said he doesn't need a deficit. Show me where i said he doesn't need a deficit? i have not once argued you don't need a deficit. But, he also talked about over quality and how he's feeling which doesn't come from eating cheeseburgers!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Well...there has been an ongoing debate on here for the 6 years i've been here that a calorie is a calorie. And if you are eating within your range you are good. I can tell you for a fact that is NOT true. I looked back at your diary and to be honest, i would say not feeling better and no results is coming from your eating. I am from USA and you have some different foods logged that i dont know, but eating bread and jam for breakfast and cheeseburgers and candy etc is not going to get you results. 80% of results come from food! Clean up your diet. More grains, eggs, tuna and fruits and veggies and you WILL see results i guarantee it. Try some homemade salads with a protein or two and lots of veggies with homemade dressings, oatmeal instead of bread and biscuits in the morning, low calorie cheese stick and a hardboiled egg to replace the yogurts, add avocado into your diet, etc. Hope this helps.

Hey lady, see this part where you say you can tell him for a fact that it's not true that eating within his range is enough? This is the problem. I don't see anything in that statement that suggests you understand that deficit is all that matters for weight loss.

Nutrition is huge for weight loss! He said in 50 days he saw no results. My nutrition differed from his and i had less activity than he did and lost 13 pounds in less than his 50 days. So, yeah it has something to do with it. I never once said he doesn't need a deficit. Show me where i said he doesn't need a deficit? i have not once argued you don't need a deficit. But, he also talked about over quality and how he's feeling which doesn't come from eating cheeseburgers!

What it has to do with is that you were (at least possibly) accurately tracking your calorie intake and staying within your goals. It's been clearly shown in this thread that OP is doing neither of those things. Thinking that you're eating 1800 calories a day is a lot different than actually eating 1800 calories a day. You would have lost the same amount of weight eating anything else if the calories had been kept identical.
  • danigirl1011
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

why not a cheeseburger, it's got carbs, protein, fats...can be very lean beef, add in Aged cheddar, lettuce tomato, avocado mayo some bacon...nom nom...

There isn't anything wrong with it. But, i think i mentioned that, because (and i dont know if i am remembering totally correctly) there was a day he logged like 2 double cheeseburgers from a fast food place or something and that caught my eye. That is very different than the cheeseburger you mentioned or one made at home.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Last line of OP was "I don't feel any fitter" This whole thing has gone off on a tangent, some of it is somewhat relevant because losing weight will certainly help to being fitter, but seven weeks of training certainly should show some progress if the training was intense enough.

One thing I see a lot at the gym is people who are "training" that barely break a sweat and never really get to a point where they are breathing hard. If that is what is happening it is going to take a long time to actually see results. Does OP have muscle soreness after training? Is he/she pushing it in training sessions would be my question. You don't have to push until you puke, but you do have to challenge your body towards a point of failure to actually make some improvements. Learn to like a little discomfort and you may see some improvement.
  • danigirl1011
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

What it has to do with is that you were (at least possibly) accurately tracking your calorie intake and staying within your goals. It's been clearly shown in this thread that OP is doing neither of those things. Thinking that you're eating 1800 calories a day is a lot different than actually eating 1800 calories a day. You would have lost the same amount of weight eating anything else if the calories had been kept identical.

Could be true. But, i guarantee i would not have felt as good. Someone mentioned the twinkie diet on here. There is no way in hell someone would feel the same quality eating 1800 calories of twinkies every day as someone who eats 1800 calories of clean food.
  • AnvilHead
    Options

why not a cheeseburger, it's got carbs, protein, fats...can be very lean beef, add in Aged cheddar, lettuce tomato, avocado mayo some bacon...nom nom...

There isn't anything wrong with it. But, i think i mentioned that, because (and i dont know if i am remembering totally correctly) there was a day he logged like 2 double cheeseburgers from a fast food place or something and that caught my eye. That is very different than the cheeseburger you mentioned or one made at home.

Is it really now?: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-fast-food-meal.html/

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

not really the one I mentioned at home has more calories, higher fat content etc.

My point is that it's not the food for weight loss as you have commented...

Nutrition is for health...had nothing to do with weight loss...directly.

a calorie is a calorie regardless of where it comes from but yes nutrionally dense foods make it easier to stick to that deficit but isn't required.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

says the person who had this for dinner last week:

Taco Bell - Dorito Locos Taco Supreme, 1 Taco 190 15 11 8 390 3
    Taco Bell (Corr) - Cheesy Bean & Rice Burrito, 1 Burrito 420 55 17 11 920 6
    Taco Bell - Nacho Cheese Side, 56 grams 110 4 10 2 460 0
    Pepsi - Wild Cherry - Can, 9 oz 120 32 0 0 23 0
    Reese's - Peanut Butter Egg, 2 piece 340 36 20 8 270 2
    Oreo - Chocolate Candy Bar, 0.33 Bar 77 8 5 1 28 0
    Quick Tools 1,257 150 63 30 2,091 11

Really? Did you even happen to notice that this was EASTER SUNDAY?! And you took one day of my diary and made it into a horrible example. I went and looked at 2 weeks of his diary not just a holiday. But, thanks. Wow. I was over extremely few days in 41 days. And you took the one day i actually gave myself as a cheat day. What a sweetheart. The OP says he hasn't seen results. I was down 13 pounds in 35 days. Yet my diary looks drastically different than his!

just thought it was an interesting day from someone lecturing people about their nutrition!

Yeah and like i said, it was my first day in however many days on here that i was over on calories. I even told all my friends on here it's easter weekend and was having anxiety about it because it was my first time in 35 or 36 days that i had a weekend full of gathering with people where i didn't plan the menu and a bunch of eating. And that i didn't want to mess up progress. And it ended up making me gain 2 pounds this week that i already got off. Why? because i ate well this week and had a damned DEFICIT that everyone is so worried about. I didn't even work out this week! So, yeah i'm sure you've never had a cheat day in your life so take the one example from someone's diary. Don't mention any of the other stuff on my whole entire diary. How did that help the OP other than to just put someone else down? My comments were helpful if he listens. Were they perfect? No, probably not. But, good thing there is more than just one person giving him advice huh?

You didn't eat 7,000 or so extra calories over a couple days and have a 7,000 calorie deficit over another couple days all within a week. Water retention.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    Last line of OP was "I don't feel any fitter" This whole thing has gone off on a tangent, some of it is somewhat relevant because losing weight will certainly help to being fitter, but seven weeks of training certainly should show some progress if the training was intense enough.

One thing I see a lot at the gym is people who are "training" that barely break a sweat and never really get to a point where they are breathing hard. If that is what is happening it is going to take a long time to actually see results. Does OP have muscle soreness after training? Is he/she pushing it in training sessions would be my question. You don't have to push until you puke, but you do have to challenge your body towards a point of failure to actually make some improvements. Learn to like a little discomfort and you may see some improvement.

sweating and breathing hard have nothing to do with it or how hard you are working out.

Muscle soreness indicates lack of use of that muscle...I get it still after lifting for 3 years...

Exercise if for health and fitness...calorie deficit for weight loss...nutrition for health.
  • danigirl1011
    Options

Is it really now?: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-fast-food-meal.html/

Yeah really. And omg a calorie is a calorie. Ok. My point was nutritional value in the calorie. That's like saying 5 lbs of fat is like 5lbs of muscle. Do they both weigh the same? yeah. 5 lbs is 5 lbs! but i guarantee 5 pounds of muscle on you looks better and fits in your pants better than 5 pounds of fat!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Yeah really. And omg a calorie is a calorie. Ok. My point was nutritional value in the calorie. That's like saying 5 lbs of fat is like 5lbs of muscle. Do they both weigh the same? yeah. 5 lbs is 5 lbs! but i guarantee 5 pounds of muscle on you looks better and fits in your pants better than 5 pounds of fat!

A calorie doesn't have nutritional value. Calorie is a measurement. That's like saying "The material of a meter".
    And for losing weight, those calories are the deciding factor. You can eat as healthy as you feel like, too many calories and you move nothing.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it
  • AnvilHead
    edited April 2017
    Options
    And omg a calorie is a calorie. Ok.
    That's not what you originally said. Re-read your first post. And then you replied "You have a lot to learn" to somebody who stated that a calorie is simply a unit of measure.

My point was nutritional value in the calorie.
    That's an entirely different discussion which moves the goalposts from your original statement. Speaking purely in terms of weight loss, calories are all that matter. When taking overall health, proper nutrition, body composition and workout performance into consideration, the context changes.

Going back to my post about a mile being a mile, there could be a lot of other factors involved if we widen the context. Perceived exertion levels, comfort, potential for danger/injury, possibility of frostbite or heat exhaustion, etc. Yet it still doesn't change the fact that despite all those things, you ran one mile. The measure of one mile has nothing whatsoever to do with the other collateral factors.
  • danigirl1011
    Options

not really the one I mentioned at home has more calories, higher fat content etc.

My point is that it's not the food for weight loss as you have commented...

Nutrition is for health...had nothing to do with weight loss...directly.

a calorie is a calorie regardless of where it comes from but yes nutrionally dense foods make it easier to stick to that deficit but isn't required.

Have a hard time following. 2 double cheeseburgers (which is what i originally mentioned) from Mcdonalds (i dont remember where his were from) is 840 calories. And you dont even know what's in it. There are talks its not real meat etc. I calculated a 1/3 pound burger on a bun with the toppings you said (no bacon) and it comes to 435 calories. How is that not less? Also, from my original answer it was mainly based around nutrition. You may be right with a deficit (again i NEVER once argued the deficit point), but when have you ever heard of someone 400 pounds stuffing their faces with double cheeseburgers saying they feel as good as someone who eats clean and does yoga? Yes, his problem is deficit, but better nutrition would no doubt help him with feeling results like he was saying he doesnt notice any difference in feeling, etc
  • danigirl1011
    Options
    And omg a calorie is a calorie. Ok.
    That's not what you originally said. Re-read your first post. And then you replied "You have a lot to learn" to somebody who stated that a calorie is simply a unit of measure.

My point was nutritional value in the calorie.
    That's an entirely different discussion which moves the goalposts from your original statement. Speaking purely in terms of weight loss, calories are all that matter. When taking overall health, proper nutrition, body composition and workout performance into consideration, the context changes.

I disagree. If you're eating breads and mcdonalds and a bunch of candy (which is all over the OP's diary) you may not feel like being as active and may not have as good of a performance while active as you would if you ate better. Yes, calorie deficit is what matters! But, there are a lot of other things that tie into weightloss in general.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    ...Yes, calorie deficit is what matters!...

At least we've come that far.