Advice on saying "No Thanks" for office snacks

Options

Replies

• TipTopMMR
    TipTopMMR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If I want to look like you- I'd eat like you.

I would be incredibly hurt if anyone I worked with said that to me. In some places I can imagine that being interpreted as a low-level form of bullying.

Agreed; there's no need to hurt anyone's feelings.
  • ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    It'll only be an issue at the beginning, after that everyone will realize you're serious about it/ you're "one of those healthy people" and quit expecting you to have some. I don't think it comes from a bad place, people are just naturally curious about why someone who usually partakes in the office goodies all of a sudden isn't.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I just say "No thanks, I'm not hungry". Then it's easy to walk away as they stand dumbfounded wondering why I wouldn't eat a cookie because I wasn't hungry.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Save a few calories and have a SMALL piece of what they are offering. Not going to make or break your weight loss/fitness! If you really don't LIKE what they are offering, just say, "No thanks, it looks good- but I'm trying to watch what I eat." =)
    why should you have to save calories to eat something that you do not want, in order to make some idiot at the office "happy" that you ate their snack..

just say no ..if they ask why say no...
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Save a few calories and have a SMALL piece of what they are offering. Not going to make or break your weight loss/fitness! If you really don't LIKE what they are offering, just say, "No thanks, it looks good- but I'm trying to watch what I eat." =)
    why should you have to save calories to eat something that you do not want, in order to make some idiot at the office "happy" that you ate their snack..

APPLAUDS!!
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty lucky because I hate chocolate, and it seems that there's either chocolate cake, cupcakes, or some type of chocolate chip ice cream always in order for celebrations around my office. In saying that, whenever there is something else and I can't use that excuse, I just say "no thank you". If they push the issue, as there's always someone that does, just say you're not big into sweets.

What can they say after that..."Yes you are!!!"

Probably not...
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

Amen.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I tell people I suffer from MYGO syndrome and cant eat high sugar/high fat/high carb snacks. Most dont ask what it is but if you're asked (My Eyes Glaze Over)
  • MonaMel01
    MonaMel01 Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm allergic to sweets...it makes my hips swell.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you did all that was necessary!
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I just pass or stay away from the area. If they insist, I will remind them how much I have lost so far and I don't want to undo all my hard work. They comment about they should do that to, then they take another bite. I do indulge once in a while, but I will split it in two different snacks so its not all at once (if I'm in the mood) but lately I have just turned it down.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to sweets...it makes my hips swell.

I like this one.
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    hey i've worked in an office most of my working life, treat yourself to the odd bit of cake or biscuit now and then, dont sweat it. if i dont want anything, and believe me you get asked all the time working in an office where there is a constant supply of sweets/biscuits/chocolates etc, i usually say 'im a bit full up from lunch, i might have some later', ofcourse i never take a piece later, but then later no one notices anyway cos they're either mucking about sending stupid e-mails or actually working.
    i would say dont even let it bother you. or another one i use is, 'nah, you can have my piece if you want', someone will always take your piece with no questions asked..
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    'No thanks' seems to work but our 'treats' are in the kitchen almost out of sight out of mind until you go in there.

But if you're in there and people are wondering why you arent eating any, I say 'im training tonight and wouldnt really fancy tasting it twice'.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    ambiguous medical issues are a great excuse, especially if you elude to your bowels. Nobody wants to think about you pooping from the snacks they forced on you.
  • emmgetsfit
    emmgetsfit Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It'll only be an issue at the beginning, after that everyone will realize you're serious about it/ you're "one of those healthy people" and quit expecting you to have some. I don't think it comes from a bad place, people are just naturally curious about why someone who usually partakes in the office goodies all of a sudden isn't.

This.

Also, I encounter this on a weekly basis. Once a week we have lunch and dinner catered, and occasionally we'll have a business partner stop by with goodies. If the polite “no thank you” doesn’t work, and the food is prepackaged (like chips, cookies, candies, etc), I usually take a package, say thanks, and keep it stashed in my drawer. Inevitably, a day or two later, the guy who was pushing me to take the food will come back to see what goodies I have that he can eat. It's a win/win!!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    If I want to look like you- I'd eat like you.

I can't stand when people get pushy with me. I am VERY opinionated about that these things. I have strong self discipline and when I decied to not eat something I don't.

I'm stubborn..Sometimes it's hard to say no to treats, but if I say no, and someone tries to push it on me anyway?
    OMG, they better back the h#ll up.
  • erinkwr
    erinkwr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great advice all. It is endemic here. Pot-luck lunches celebrating nothing but the lunches themselves. Then there is the anonymous Dunkin Donuts order, and sharing of leftover food in the kitchen area. Gee thanks: my boss will buy something for her cravings and then dump the rest in the kitchen for everyone else to consume and get rid of. The "I'm watching my glycemic index" excuse much of the time goes over people's head, so not having a clue as to what you are talking about, they let it go. Any medically complicated excuse people will not pursue. They will just walk away confused and mildly humbled. Works for me. :wink:
  • SlimSlim2013
    Options
    Lol... Good one Cheeky. I 2nd that or joke about it. "No thanks, I'm a recovering addict & really trying to stay clean right now."

I've taken a small slice, split into smaller bites, peeled the icing off & smashed the cake to it, back at my desk I discreetly drop it in the trash(plate down) when no one is paying attention.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Ask the person who brings the snacks in why everything brought from their home smells like cat piss. They'll stop offering.

This made me LOL. :bigsmile: