Advice on saying "No Thanks" for office snacks

Options
12346»

Replies

• TLCorsini
    TLCorsini Posts: 78
    Options
    My Office is ALWAYS bringing in sugary stuff! Literally 2 minutes ago when I saw this post, my boss brought in cupcakes!! WTF! I would just tell them "thank you for sharing, but I am trying to be healthy and watch what I eat" I also have this theory that "if it doesnt' fuel your body for the better, it doesn't need to be in my mouth" I've only had this theory for a few days, hopefully its just the quote i need to tell myself to keep going lol Best of Luck to you!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I've started saying that that stuff "is not food journal friendly" (and sometimes will add "But you can go ahead and put it on YOUR food journal!" with a big cheesy smile).

With stuff that's particularly hard for me to resist, I've even taken it to others in the office and said, "I need you to hide this from me....especially if you ever want to see it again or have any of it later."
  • ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I know its hard to say no, but its definitely something you need to do and be firm on! I wasn't, and I gained 50 pounds in one year that I'm still trying to lose!
  • dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Something I forgot to tell OP:

Your ticker shows you've just started making your lifestyle changes (and major kudos to you for taking that step!). Once you start losing weight, it will get easier for you to say no. When I was close to my "15 lbs lost mark" my co-workers started to comment on my weight loss, because they could see a difference, and suddenly I had my perfect excuse. "Thank you, but I've worked so hard to lose weight I just don't want to sabotage that for myself".

Once people get in the habit of thinking of you as "that health-nut", it'll get easier to say no, because they'll expect you to.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    There are always goodies up for grabs where I work. If a colleague tells me they brought treats to the lunchroom, I just respond with, "No thanks, my calories are counted for the day." 99% of the time that ends the conversation and the person respects my boundary. In the rare case where they press further, I tell them I have a goal weight I want to reach by September and I really don't want to slow my progress. It usually ends there but sometimes leads to a discussion about the whats and whys of what I'm doing.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Many good ideas here! For me, I'll say "maybe later" when offered food I don't want to eat or didn't allow for. It's simple, doesn't draw attention to yourself, and no one remembers if you ate or not!
  • Heavybetty
    Heavybetty Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE for all the GREAT advice....apparently a lot of people have dealt with this at one point!