Options
124»

Replies

• ItsBetterThisWay
    ItsBetterThisWay Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    It took me a year to start into LV|CHF and a few more weeks to get to keto leves. I think the idea of change is almost harder than the actual change. LOL

I know right. How weird is that? Lol.

Make sure to get 3000-5000 + mg of sodium per day. There's 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of table salt, so that's 2 tsp or more per day. If you get fatigued, headaches, stomach issues, cranky, and muscle aches or weakness, then you are getting low on sodium. A cup of broth or salted water will help.

Good luck. :)

You're basically my guru now lol. Thanks.

Question though, wouldn't that much sodium contribute to water weight? And what's your thoughts on using sea salt or/& pink himalayan salt rather than regular table salt?
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Carbs help my exercise performance. I just try to eat complex carbs most of the time. May not help everyone though.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It took me a year to start into LV|CHF and a few more weeks to get to keto leves. I think the idea of change is almost harder than the actual change. LOL

Make sure to get 3000-5000 + mg of sodium per day. There's 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of table salt, so that's 2 tsp or more per day. If you get fatigued, headaches, stomach issues, cranky, and muscle aches or weakness, then you are getting low on sodium. A cup of broth or salted water will help.

Question though, wouldn't that much sodium contribute to water weight? And what's your thoughts on using sea salt or/& pink himalayan salt rather than regular table salt?

It doesn't contribute to water weight but it can help offset the water people lose when they go LCHF.

When you cut carbs your insulin requirements drop, and it is insulin which is responsible for a higher carb eater's water retention. Once you cut carbs you will lose water weight. With that water lost will be electrolytes being lost. If you don't replace the electrolytes you are losing, it can end up causing a headache to being life threatening.

Once sodium gets low, you'll need to supplement potassium and magnesium too as those get leached out of the body to act as electrolytes. If you get to muscle cramping, your sodium replenishment is way too low and you need K and Mg now too.

Remember that you aren't actually adding extra electrolytes to your body, rather you are replacing lost electrolytes. KWIM? Increasing salt intake will not cause more water retention. In fact, chances are that you'll still lose a pound or two of water.

I have a few different salts that I use for different flavors. I still use some table salt for iodine (I have thyroid issues that could benefit from iodine) but I prefer a really nice pink Himilayan salt we have.

Join the Low Carber Daily MFP group. There are lots of low carbers and keto'ers there with a LOT more knowledge than I have. They're a helpful bunch.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

• ItsBetterThisWay
    Options

It doesn't contribute to water weight but it can help offset the water people lose when they go LCHF.

When you cut carbs your insulin requirements drop, and it is insulin which is responsible for a higher carb eater's water retention. Once you cut carbs you will lose water weight. With that water lost will be electrolytes being lost. If you don't replace the electrolytes you are losing, it can end up causing a headache to being life threatening.

Once sodium gets low, you'll need to supplement potassium and magnesium too as those get leached out of the body to act as electrolytes. If you get to muscle cramping, your sodium replenishment is way too low and you need K and Mg now too.

Remember that you aren't actually adding extra electrolytes to your body, rather you are replacing lost electrolytes. KWIM? Increasing salt intake will not cause more water retention. In fact, chances are that you'll still lose a pound or two of water.

I have a few different salts that I use for different flavors. I still use some table salt for iodine (I have thyroid issues that could benefit from iodine) but I prefer a really nice pink Himilayan salt we have.

Join the Low Carber Daily MFP group. There are lots of low carbers and keto'ers there with a LOT more knowledge than I have. They're a helpful bunch.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Yep yep! Makes perfect sense. I probably won't go full blown keto as I train pretty intensely. For me 100 - 150g of carbs is on the low end. For the next 2 months my carbs will hover around 100g - mostly veggies, sweet potato and brown rice. I wanna see how my training, fat loss and mental state fare while doing LCHF. I'll be adding bone broth to the mix too. As I type this my head is bleeping lol. Thanks for the gems.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Re the water weight, my cardiologist had already told me to increase my sodium intake b/c of my low BP, and I discovered after eating LCHF that my weight no longer tends to bounce up after a restaurant meal (which it used to do b/c of the high sodium). Now I'm more likely to get bloated/water weight if I eat some high carb foods that I'm no longer used to.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2017
    Options

Yep yep! Makes perfect sense. I probably won't go full blown keto as I train pretty intensely. For me 100 - 150g of carbs is on the low end. For the next 2 months my carbs will hover around 100g - mostly veggies, sweet potato and brown rice. I wanna see how my training, fat loss and mental state fare while doing LCHF. I'll be adding bone broth to the mix too. As I type this my head is bleeping lol. Thanks for the gems.

What kind of training do you follow? How does your protein look like? How has your recovery been? And what is your goal outside of fat loss?
  • ItsBetterThisWay
    edited April 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

What kind of training do you follow? How does your protein look like? How has your recovery been? And what is your goal outside of fat loss?

My current training program is x3 full body sessions with HIIT on those days. I work a real physical job so hitting the gym 5 days a week is over kill for me. In terms of recovery that's not a problem if my sleep is in check. I fast too and that seems to help recovery. Other than physique goals I wanna find the best formula for myself that'll keep me healthy well into my latter years in life. I also want my brain to be sharp with laser like focus as much possible so I can get more out of life than say an average person would.

And my macros: 150 P 100 C 140 F