Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sugar Addiction Myths

Options
ndj1979
ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
I was browsing the interwebs during lunch and came across the below article.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/10_myths_about_sugar/14526#.WQOG8ojyuUk

I found it interesting as it debunks every myth that we see posted in the forums about sugar every day.

discuss...

Replies

• ndj1979
    Options
    anyway, I found it interesting and it is no way peer reviewed...
  • kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I also found it interesting regardless of the "validity". I do have to agree that I do not find sugar to be addictive and/or toxic. I know people will argue the idea of "mental addiction" to sugar, but I personally find that to be more habit than anything else. That could just be my opinion; I think the idea that sugar is always "bad" or "toxic" is very much fact though.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    kclaar11 wrote: »
    I also found it interesting regardless of the "validity". I do have to agree that I do not find sugar to be addictive and/or toxic. I know people will argue the idea of "mental addiction" to sugar, but I personally find that to be more habit than anything else. That could just be my opinion; I think the idea that sugar is always "bad" or "toxic" is very much fact though.

So you don't eat fruit, vegetables, bread, pasta, etc?
  • ndj1979
    Options

how exactly is sugar toxic?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Given that the basic definition of a carbohydrate is something that the body can break down into glucose (SUGAR) to be used by the body for energy, how exactly is this toxic? Is the body trying to kill itself?!?!?

don't know and never really understood that claim. Technically, water is toxic because if you drink too much you can die from water poisoning but I don't see anyone saying "avoid water."
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Oops. Major typo there; I meant to type "false" not "fact". I completely agree that sugar is neither bad nor toxic. HUGE typing error there.

bahahahahaha.....

LOL, no problem. I kind of thought that might be a typo...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    It disagrees with the "myths" but I'm not sure I'd say it debunks anything. It's just someone's opinion.

The one about sugar not being just empty calories is just a facile semantic argument. Basically, its reasoning is that calories are a nutritional component, and since sugar has calories it has nutritional value. That's basically just denying that there's any such thing as "empty calories." Pure refined table sugar is the prime example of empty calories, as that term is used by the medical community.

ETA I also noticed whoever wrote this doesn't think alcohol addiction exists either. So I'm not sure I'd put much stock in what he says.

So carbohydrates aren't nutrients and have no calories? Sorry for me being literal when someone claims a food has empty calories.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    It could be just me, but apple pie doesn't really need sugar, or strawberry shortcake imo.

Course then again I put cocoa powder in full fat unsweetened yogurt and call it fantastic, so idk, my tastbuds are different?
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Does anyone listen to podcasts? Freakonomics just released one on sugar. They do a good job of showing both arguments although it's pretty clear at the end of the episode which one is the standout.