Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sugar Addiction Myths

Options

Replies

• dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    That's why the definition of 'empty calorie' has to specify devoid of vitamins, minerals, fiber, essential fats and proteins, I suppose. No macro is used solely to produce energy and for nothing else.
    No, they're not empty in that sense. They're empty in the sense of pointless or unhelpful. They may have some food value, but not enough to give them a meaningful nutritional role in the context in which they're being discussed.

Again, cardio.

You're agreeing with me, I think. I've pointed out that where calories are needed or important in the diet, they're not referred to as empty calories. If an athlete needs to eat more calories to perform or to stay well nourished, they're not empty calories. If a diabetic's insulin levels are too high and she needs to eat sugar to deal with that, they're not empty calories. But if an overweight person eats a bag of candy without needing the calories from it, they're empty calories. That's the way the term is used.

• dfwesq
    Options
    That's why the definition of 'empty calorie' has to specify devoid of vitamins, minerals, fiber, essential fats and proteins, I suppose. No macro is used solely to produce energy and for nothing else.
    No, they're not empty in that sense. They're empty in the sense of pointless or unhelpful. They may have some food value, but not enough to give them a meaningful nutritional role in the context in which they're being discussed.

Which is why he definition is the way it is - to define the context. That is because no macro is truly "pointless or unhelpful" beyond providing energy. If that were not the case, such a specific definition would be unnecessary.
    I'm not defining this term in a new way or refining its definition. I'm pointing out the meaning it already has.

It's not macros that are referred to as empty calories - it's foods. Typically foods like candy, sugary drinks and desserts, potato chips, and the like that contribute primarily unneeded extra calories and little else of importance. That's not to say they are devoid of nutrients, just that whatever they contribute could just as easily be obtained from much more nutritious or lower-calorie foods. And to reiterate, the term is only used where extra calories are not an asset, which is the case with most people in developed countries.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    In my humble opinion the obesity levels we are seeing in the Western world have a lot to do with the increased sugar levels in our food. (but not the only one)

Globally we consume roughly 173 million tonnes of sugar per year. That is 24 kg per person on average! In the US that's apparently almost 44Kg per person! That's over 170,000 calories which is over 460 per day! That's very high compared to historical levels and has been raising steadily for the last century at least!

Now don't get me wrong I'm not a anti-sugar zelot or a pro-fat crusader, in fact, just because saturated fat might not be as bad as I once thought I see no reason to stick butter in my coffee .

I genuinely believe that a majority of people have no clue how calorific their food is or what their energy needs are.

sugar consumption is actually down ....

No it's not. Not even close. The sale of sugar in shops is down. True. However consumption continues to grow.

How would sales be down but consumption up? Do they grow sugar beet themselves?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Again, cardio.

You're agreeing with me, I think. I've pointed out that where calories are needed or important in the diet, they're not referred to as empty calories. If an athlete needs to eat more calories to perform or to stay well nourished, they're not empty calories. If a diabetic's insulin levels are too high and she needs to eat sugar to deal with that, they're not empty calories. But if an overweight person eats a bag of candy without needing the calories from it, they're empty excess calories. That's the way the term is used.

fixed it for you
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Again, cardio.

For the maybe 2-3% of the population that runs 30+ or so miles a week (or bike, swim an equivalent amount) you have a point. For the rest it's low nutrient/high calorie (i.e., empty calorie) food.

Now nothing wrong with some level of low nutrient/high calorie food in the diet. I believe the WHO recommends no more than 10% of total calories come from added sugars.
    http://sugarscience.ucsf.edu/the-growing-concern-of-overconsumption/#.WQiBr9ryuUk

This would be the case for a typical individual. Someone on a low calorie diet would most likely need to eat a smaller % to ensure proper nutrition. An endurance athlete could eat a higher %.

A good and long workout will burn as much if not more calories than those 10%. That's just 200 calories for the 2000 kcal standard human used in most places. It doesn't take too much to get that much.
  • dfwesq
    Options
    With all the posts claiming there's no such thing as empty calorie foods, it's not surprising to me that people get the impression there's a substantial anti-nutrition contingent here.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Which is why he definition is the way it is - to define the context. That is because no macro is truly "pointless or unhelpful" beyond providing energy. If that were not the case, such a specific definition would be unnecessary.
    I'm not defining this term in a new way or refining its definition. I'm pointing out the meaning it already has.

It's not macros that are referred to as empty calories - it's foods.

Well, no, it's ingredients, specifically "calories from added sugars and/or solid fats, but with little if any nutrient value." (Cites: http://www.foodpyramid.com/myplate/empty-calories/; https://www.ars.usda.gov/news-events/news/research-news/2012/snacking-associated-with-increased-calories-decreased-nutrients/; some of the links you provided earlier.)

Foods contain empty calories, they may also contain ingredients with nutrients.

That you can obtain the same nutrients from a lower calorie food does not make the food itself "empty calories." You can obtain the nutrients in whole milk from skim or lower fat milk, but whole milk is not empty calories. (It does contain empty calories according to the USDA, which also, sigh, recommends low fat cheese.)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i would also like to know where in this thread someone said consume sugar to the avoidance of all other nutrients...????????
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    With all the posts claiming there's no such thing as empty calorie foods, it's not surprising to me that people get the impression there's a substantial anti-nutrition contingent here.

who is this person saying to ignore nutrition?

Not sure how you get to people saying sugar is not empty means that they are "anti-nutrition"...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excluding-the-middle.html/
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Again, cardio.

For the maybe 2-3% of the population that runs 30+ or so miles a week (or bike, swim an equivalent amount) you have a point. For the rest it's low nutrient/high calorie (i.e., empty calorie) food.

Now nothing wrong with some level of low nutrient/high calorie food in the diet. I believe the WHO recommends no more than 10% of total calories come from added sugars.
    http://sugarscience.ucsf.edu/the-growing-concern-of-overconsumption/#.WQiBr9ryuUk

This would be the case for a typical individual. Someone on a low calorie diet would most likely need to eat a smaller % to ensure proper nutrition. An endurance athlete could eat a higher %.

A good and long workout will burn as much if not more calories than those 10%. That's just 200 calories for the 2000 kcal standard human used in most places. It doesn't take too much to get that much.

I agree a long workout will burn more than the 10% mentioned. That is why I said it would be reasonable for people exercising for a long time to consume more than 10% of their calories in less nutrient dense foods. An I believe most dietitians would agree.

Fact of the matter is the number of people participating in those type of workouts you describe is pretty minimal as a % of the total population.
  • stevencloser
    Options

Again, cardio.

I agree a long workout will burn more than the 10% mentioned. That is why I said it would be reasonable for people exercising for a long time to consume more than 10% of their calories in less nutrient dense foods. An I believe most dietitians would agree.

Fact of the matter is the number of people participating in those type of workouts you describe is pretty minimal as a % of the total population.

I'd disagree with the assumption that so little of the population is doing workouts that exceed 10% of their sedentary TDEE.
  • dfwesq
    edited May 2017
    Options
    i would also like to know where in this thread someone said consume sugar to the avoidance of all other nutrients...????????
    Let's all try to discuss this reasonably. You and I know I didn't say that you said this.

When you and others say that foods like refined table sugar aren't empty calories you're putting yourself at odds with doctors and nutritionists who describe them that way. For example, these articles (of many) use the term "empty calories" in contrast to other healthier foods.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26190228
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27990339

You did say, several times that they are not empty calories:
    This is a terrible article. Somebody "debunked" the "myth" that sugar is empty calories by pointing out that it has calories. Stupidest thing I've read in a long time.

how so? If something provides energy, it can't be empty. If anything the empty calorie argument is the dump one.
    if you want to argue that sugar should not crowd out other nutrients, then yes I agree; however, that does not make it empty, toxic, etc...
    not sure how it is a word game to say that sugar is not an empty calorie when one derives energy from it.
    Those weren't the only posts, and you weren't the only one - just giving examples.

Don't get me wrong - you're free to disagree with how doctors and nutritionists characterize foods. But if you do, don't be too surprised if people interpret it as disagreeing with their recommendations.

(Edited to change the order of paragraphs.)