Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sugar Addiction Myths

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    dfwesq wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    That's why the definition of 'empty calorie' has to specify devoid of vitamins, minerals, fiber, essential fats and proteins, I suppose. No macro is used solely to produce energy and for nothing else.
    No, they're not empty in that sense. They're empty in the sense of pointless or unhelpful. They may have some food value, but not enough to give them a meaningful nutritional role in the context in which they're being discussed.

Again, cardio.

For the maybe 2-3% of the population that runs 30+ or so miles a week (or bike, swim an equivalent amount) you have a point. For the rest it's low nutrient/high calorie (i.e., empty calorie) food.

Now nothing wrong with some level of low nutrient/high calorie food in the diet. I believe the WHO recommends no more than 10% of total calories come from added sugars.
    http://sugarscience.ucsf.edu/the-growing-concern-of-overconsumption/#.WQiBr9ryuUk

This would be the case for a typical individual. Someone on a low calorie diet would most likely need to eat a smaller % to ensure proper nutrition. An endurance athlete could eat a higher %.

A good and long workout will burn as much if not more calories than those 10%. That's just 200 calories for the 2000 kcal standard human used in most places. It doesn't take too much to get that much.

I agree a long workout will burn more than the 10% mentioned. That is why I said it would be reasonable for people exercising for a long time to consume more than 10% of their calories in less nutrient dense foods. An I believe most dietitians would agree.

Fact of the matter is the number of people participating in those type of workouts you describe is pretty minimal as a % of the total population.

I'd disagree with the assumption that so little of the population is doing workouts that exceed 10% of their sedentary TDEE.

Your original post was discussing people that do long hard workouts. Someone doing a workout that uses calories around 10% of their sedentary TDEE is not doing a long hard workout.

Just me, but to use running as an example I'd think you'd need to be talking 5 miles + before even thinking about calling something a long workout. I.maintain there is a very small percentage of the population doing that. Short cardio bouts do not require any special emphasis on carbs in the diet.

That just makes it even sillier to talk about empty calories. On hard workouts you need it, on light workouts you can still take them. 200 calories burned is 200 calories burned is 200 calories of whatever you feel like eating where it doesn't matter if it's nutritious or not because you needed the nutrition in the 200 calories less you would've had without the exercise already. Again, I'm not gonna take a plate of broccoli into the gym or out on a run. Not when I'm going for a long one and not when I don't have much time and only do a short and easy one.

The nutritional guidelines of the WHO and others suggest no more than 10% of total calories from added sugars. If you burn 200 extra calories in exercise, you would "earn" and additional 20 calories of added sugar.

If you check around you will find most sports nutrition authorities will suggest complex carbs as opposed to simple sugars as the main source of workout fuel.

Interesting article:
    https://www.afpafitness.com/research-articles/endurance-nutrition-guide

(sorry meant to include with the above post)

Complex carbohydrates are hard to fit in during a long run. Yeah, I'm fueling with complex carbohydrates before and after a run as part of my daily diet, but I'm never encountered the view that I need to avoid things like Gu or sports drinks during prolonged activity.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    That's why the definition of 'empty calorie' has to specify devoid of vitamins, minerals, fiber, essential fats and proteins, I suppose. No macro is used solely to produce energy and for nothing else.
    No, they're not empty in that sense. They're empty in the sense of pointless or unhelpful. They may have some food value, but not enough to give them a meaningful nutritional role in the context in which they're being discussed.

Again, cardio.

For the maybe 2-3% of the population that runs 30+ or so miles a week (or bike, swim an equivalent amount) you have a point. For the rest it's low nutrient/high calorie (i.e., empty calorie) food.

Now nothing wrong with some level of low nutrient/high calorie food in the diet. I believe the WHO recommends no more than 10% of total calories come from added sugars.
    http://sugarscience.ucsf.edu/the-growing-concern-of-overconsumption/#.WQiBr9ryuUk

This would be the case for a typical individual. Someone on a low calorie diet would most likely need to eat a smaller % to ensure proper nutrition. An endurance athlete could eat a higher %.

A good and long workout will burn as much if not more calories than those 10%. That's just 200 calories for the 2000 kcal standard human used in most places. It doesn't take too much to get that much.

I agree a long workout will burn more than the 10% mentioned. That is why I said it would be reasonable for people exercising for a long time to consume more than 10% of their calories in less nutrient dense foods. An I believe most dietitians would agree.

Fact of the matter is the number of people participating in those type of workouts you describe is pretty minimal as a % of the total population.

I'd disagree with the assumption that so little of the population is doing workouts that exceed 10% of their sedentary TDEE.

Your original post was discussing people that do long hard workouts. Someone doing a workout that uses calories around 10% of their sedentary TDEE is not doing a long hard workout.

Just me, but to use running as an example I'd think you'd need to be talking 5 miles + before even thinking about calling something a long workout. I.maintain there is a very small percentage of the population doing that. Short cardio bouts do not require any special emphasis on carbs in the diet.

That just makes it even sillier to talk about empty calories. On hard workouts you need it, on light workouts you can still take them. 200 calories burned is 200 calories burned is 200 calories of whatever you feel like eating where it doesn't matter if it's nutritious or not because you needed the nutrition in the 200 calories less you would've had without the exercise already. Again, I'm not gonna take a plate of broccoli into the gym or out on a run. Not when I'm going for a long one and not when I don't have much time and only do a short and easy one.

The nutritional guidelines of the WHO and others suggest no more than 10% of total calories from added sugars. If you burn 200 extra calories in exercise, you would "earn" and additional 20 calories of added sugar.

If you check around you will find most sports nutrition authorities will suggest complex carbs as opposed to simple sugars as the main source of workout fuel.

Interesting article:

Complex carbohydrates are hard to fit in during a long run. Yeah, I'm fueling with complex carbohydrates before and after a run as part of my daily diet, but I'm never encountered the view that I need to avoid things like Gu or sports drinks during prolonged activity.

The article addresses your question:

"Athletes using the simple sugars sucrose, fructose, or glucose are unaware that simple sugars double the solution osmolality, significantly delaying gastric absorption. When absorption of fuel is delayed due to a high osmolar sugared solutions, fluids and electrolytes must be drawn out of the body then across gastric linings for reducing the high osmolar pressures to body fluid levels for absorption. If a sugared solution is chosen it should be no higher than 6%, which limits the amount of calories that can be absorbed per hour. More calories in the form of longer chain maltodextrins [such as Hammergel] are readily absorbed as high as 18-20% solution. It takes a much greater fluid volume for sugary solutions to meet endurance caloric expense".

And remember when we are talking about doing long runs we are discussing a very small part of the population and for the vast majority of those doing long runs it's a once, maybe twice a week thing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I bet you ten pounds to a pinch of kittens that most obese people have an excessive amount of everything in their diets and sugar is seldom even the main source.

Really? What would you think is the main source? (Genuine question)

Asking me, it depends on the person, but the sugar consumption in the US diet is highly skewed toward people who consume sugary beverages, and many obese people do not. (I did not, when fat. I gave them up as a teenager before I was ever fat.) Some people have a sweet tooth, some do not. Most sugary items other than cereal (which not all obese people consume, obviously) and soda also include huge amounts of fat, so there's that. Other sources of excess calories common in the SAD are fast food (high in fat, protein, and carbs, but not specifically sugar), other kinds of fatty meat, non sugary junk food (high in fat and carbs) like chips, stuff like that. Also, pizza. ;-) And if you read Fat Sugar Salt, food manufacturers have increased fat and cheese specifically (sort of cheese) in foods despite the supposed anti fat obsession.

I ate a mostly whole foods based diet when fat and my issues had to do with savory foods and fat as much as carbs for the most part, as well as just being mindless in my eating and too sedentary (I'm 5'3, if sedentary you don't need that much to get fat).

I certainly agree that most US people who get fat eat a mediocre diet, since most people in the US do, on average (the so called SAD), but whether it's specifically high in sugar or sugar is the biggest source of excess calories is going to vary by person a LOT. I see nothing to suggest sugar is the biggest issue. Stats on the food consumption that has increased as calories increase show the biggest factors are grains and oils. (I think I put this earlier in the thread, with links.)

Agree it's not a US specific issue, but since we have been focusing on sugar consumption being too high in the US. It is not so high in every country and we certainly cannot generalize to the whole world.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Again, cardio.

Interesting article:

"Athletes using the simple sugars sucrose, fructose, or glucose are unaware that simple sugars double the solution osmolality, significantly delaying gastric absorption. When absorption of fuel is delayed due to a high osmolar sugared solutions, fluids and electrolytes must be drawn out of the body then across gastric linings for reducing the high osmolar pressures to body fluid levels for absorption. If a sugared solution is chosen it should be no higher than 6%, which limits the amount of calories that can be absorbed per hour. More calories in the form of longer chain maltodextrins [such as Hammergel] are readily absorbed as high as 18-20% solution. It takes a much greater fluid volume for sugary solutions to meet endurance caloric expense".

And remember when we are talking about doing long runs we are discussing a very small part of the population.

When we're talking about workout fuel, we're talking about a very small part of the population, I get that. Most people don't do the amount of activity where they have to consider fueling activity.

I read the article you linked, I just never before encountered the POV that gels, sports drinks, etc aren't appropriate during endurance activities.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I bet you ten pounds to a pinch of kittens that most obese people have an excessive amount of everything in their diets and sugar is seldom even the main source.

I always over consumed on fats - pizza, mozzarella sticks etc....back in my heavy days I could eat a whole pint of ice cream, but I rarely ever did ...

• ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    i would also like to know where in this thread someone said consume sugar to the avoidance of all other nutrients...????????
    Let's all try to discuss this reasonably. You and I know I didn't say that you said this.

When you and others say that foods like refined table sugar aren't empty calories you're putting yourself at odds with doctors and nutritionists who describe them that way. For example, these articles (of many) use the term "empty calories" in contrast to other healthier foods.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26190228
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27990339

You did say, several times that they are not empty calories:
    This is a terrible article. Somebody "debunked" the "myth" that sugar is empty calories by pointing out that it has calories. Stupidest thing I've read in a long time.

how so? If something provides energy, it can't be empty. If anything the empty calorie argument is the dump one.
    if you want to argue that sugar should not crowd out other nutrients, then yes I agree; however, that does not make it empty, toxic, etc...
    not sure how it is a word game to say that sugar is not an empty calorie when one derives energy from it.
    Those weren't the only posts, and you weren't the only one - just giving examples.

Don't get me wrong - you're free to disagree with how doctors and nutritionists characterize foods. But if you do, don't be too surprised if people interpret it as disagreeing with their recommendations.

(Edited to change the order of paragraphs.)

Well, yeah, PubMed lists 80 studies that use the expression "empty calories" or "empty calorie" in their abstract.
    Google Scholar (where you can perform a full text search) lists 8920 results.
    So, yes, I think we can conclude that it is an expression commonly used in the nutrition field.

does not mean it is correct...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I clearly said where you quoted me that sugar should be reduced if it crowds out nutrients...and I never once said eat sugar to the exclusion of nutrients...
    Nobody ever claimed that you said that.

then why did you quote me to try and prove a point that you supposedly never made??????????????
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Each person is unique and sugar (as well as other things) affects people differently. It (along with caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, and some drugs) can / do affect the pleasure centers of the brain in some people, per these studies:
    If I don't eat sweets I don't want them. But, if I eat one sweet thing, (like a slice of cake) - I can't stop eating it until it is completely gone. It's not a pleasure sensation I am seeking, for me, it's a starving hunger.

So, for me, eating sugar can be addictive.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    Each person is unique and sugar (as well as other things) affects people differently. It (along with caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, and some drugs) can / does affect the pleasure centers of the brain in some people, per these studies:
    If I don't eat sweets I don't want them. But, if I eat one sweet thing, (like a slice of cake) - I can't stop eating it until it is completely gone. It's not a pleasure sensation I am seeking, for me, it's a starving hunger.

So, for me, eating sugar can be addictive problematic .

fixed it for you
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Again, cardio.

Interesting article:

And remember when we are talking about doing long runs we are discussing a very small part of the population.

When we're talking about workout fuel, we're talking about a very small part of the population, I get that. Most people don't do the amount of activity where they have to consider fueling activity.

I read the article you linked, I just never before encountered the POV that gels, sports drinks, etc aren't appropriate during endurance activities.

It actually seems (from what is quoted) that it's a debate about the best kind of gel. Most would consider Hammergels (which I have used) to be basically sugar. Once one accepts using some kind of gel or similar supplement, it is going to come down to what you personally are able to tolerate, as many of them have negative digestive effects. (I was in a tri training group years ago that had some Hammer sponsored nutrition fueling sessions (helpful, not simply marketing), and we got a bunch of free Hammer products and I liked them but many people found them to have digestional upset issues. On the other hand, I cannot consume Gatorade on a run without regretting it. Nothing about sugar, as I do various other products fine.)

No one size fits all for the best fuel, but ALL of them would be considered empty calories as it has been defined here (which shows that definition has limited utility, which is the main point that you and others have been trying to make, as I understand it).

I am not sure what Packerjohn is arguing for here. I'm not trying to be obnoxious, I'm just not following what point he is trying to make unless he thinks people are saying the way people in the US eat on average is fabulous, which obviously is not what anyone is saying. If his argument is that "empty calories" are not properly used in endurance sports (i.e., basically calories just for the sake of being easily absorbed calories), I disagree and don't think the quoted bit supports it at all.
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Each person is unique and sugar (as well as other things) affects people differently. It (along with caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, and some drugs) can / do affect the pleasure centers of the brain in some people, per these studies:

The argument for addiction specifically posits that people are pleasure seeking in eating sugar and other highly palatable foods (fat affects the brain also, just like sugar, and the pro food addiction sorts like Nicole Avena say that hyperpalatable foods that are a combination of fast carbs and salt and fat often tend to score the highest on the addiction tests/scales -- pizza, for example).

If the issue were hunger, it stands to reason that you would switch to a more satiating food.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    LOL ....read my mind...

Of course what you both corrected are accurate sentences. I wouldn't disagree with them at all. I mean how could you. Any calorific surplus will make you fat over time.

However, I bet you a pound to a pinch of *kitten* most obese people have an excessive amount of sugar in their diets.

I'm sure you're correct that obese people have too much of everything in their diet. Following is a list of top 10 sources of calories in the US diet. You could get nit picky whether added sugar is the main source of calories (as it would depend in some cases on the specific recipes), but added sugars (along with unhealthy fats) are a significant component of several of them.

What Americans Eat: Top 10 sources of calories in the U.S. diet

Grain-based desserts (cakes, cookies, donuts, pies, crisps, cobblers, and granola bars)
    Yeast breads
    Chicken and chicken-mixed dishes
    Soda, energy drinks, and sports drinks
    Pizza
    Alcoholic beverages
    Pasta and pasta dishes
    Mexican mixed dishes
    Beef and beef-mixed dishes
    Dairy desserts

http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthy-eating/top-10-sources-of-calories-in-the-us-diet

Pretty pathetic list IMO.

I see 3 with considerable amounts of sugar. Baked goods, soda and dairy desserts out of which soda is the only one that is mostly (or rather entirely) sugar. The others generally don't contain any or an irrelevant amount compared to total calories.

On the other hand... Baked goods, chicken dishes, pizza, beef dishes, probably mexican and dairy too: lots of fat.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

As said above, fat. Even the things people consider "sugary" often have as much or more fat than sugar.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

The average cookie or cake gets as much, if not more, of it's calories from FAT than it does carbohydrates, and almost all have more calories from fat than from the sugar in them. But it's the sugar that the issue...

Would you also do the same with an apple, even though 80% of it's calories come from sugar? How about carrots, which are about 50% sugar calories?

It's a highly palatable, very pleasurable food to eat. It's hedonistic hunger (i.e. pleasure seeking), not "true" hunger. If you were truly that hungry, you'd be doing the same behavior (eating until it's gone) with just about any food in front of you. It's the same reason we can feel full after a meal, but feel "hungry" for a desert afterwards.

^^^This, this and this...