Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sugar Addiction Myths

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    once I experienced leaving off most processed sugary foods and drinks I came to a place where desserts made with sugar, or veg with added sugar, disgusts my taste buds, I don't like the feeling it gives me in my mouth.

If that pleases you, that's great.

I am someone who never found that eating some sweet things affected my enjoyment of other, less sweet foods. I still taste fruit as very sweet when consuming sweet foods.* Even when I drank lots of diet coke, I preferred my wine completely dry and never enjoyed sugar in tea or coffee. (But I've also always had much more of a weakness for savory foods than sweet, so I never really overloaded my palate with supersweet things, and find that other than fruit I rarely care for sweet without fat (there are occasional exceptions).)

So even though now I don't eat a lot of added sugar (I don't think the word "processed" adds much here), I eat some (well, not at this exact moment since I'm playing around with low carb, but normally) and am quite pleased I do still enjoy it. My taste has always rejected some desserts as being too sweet for my preference, but not to the point of preferring apple pie without any added sugar.

Ironically, I listened to the Freakonomics podcast mentioned above, and apparently even Lustig agrees with the sugar in apple pie bit: "LUSTIG: Sugar’s celebratory! Sugar’s fun! Sugar’s Apple Pie. Sugar is reward — but once a week."

;-)

Anyway, like I said, my actual point was somewhat different, although if it doesn't interest you, that's cool.

*My dad always ate lemons, and I used to do it too, as a kid. The issue for my mother and sister (who thought this was weird and unpleasant) wasn't lack of sweetness, but extreme sourness, which is a taste that I have always rather liked, although I don't think I'd eat a whole lemon now.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I think we've got off the original topic of the OP !

I realize now that I was really trying to say that eating low sugars, as in a lchf, leads to sweet things tasting sweeter than before.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    This is a terrible article. Somebody "debunked" the "myth" that sugar is empty calories by pointing out that it has calories. Stupidest thing I've read in a long time.

how so? If something provides energy, it can't be empty. If anything the empty calorie argument is the dump one.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    This is a terrible article. Somebody "debunked" the "myth" that sugar is empty calories by pointing out that it has calories. Stupidest thing I've read in a long time.

how so? If something provides energy, it can't be empty. If anything the empty calorie argument is the dump one.

I think some call sugar an empty calorie because it just has calories.

I guess we could call diet soda "empty flavor" because it just provides flavor... well, and water. And maybe on occasion some micronutrients.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I guess we could call diet soda "empty flavor" because it just provides flavor... well, and water. And maybe on occasion some micronutrients.

If you can derive energy out of something it is not empty.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    The writer wants to grab attention by writing a contrarian article. But many of his arguments are weak. Other people have already talked about his lack of background and credentials.

--As someone else pointed out, the writer's claim about sugar not being empty calories makes no sense. Just because a food has calories doesn't mean those calories are as nutritionally valuable as those in other foods. Calories that fall far short in providing nutrition are called "empty" by nutritionists.

--Never have heard anyone argue that sugar wasn't a necessary ingredient in most sweet deserts. That's a Straw Man argument, or should I call it a Gingerbread Man argument?

--It has been reported since this article appeared that Big Sugar HAS plotted to keep people eating sugar. It paid research scientists starting in the 1960s to minimize the health problems with sugar while making fat the enemy.

Macronutrients are nutrients. Anything with calories provides some sort of nutrition and what "falls short" depends entirely on the situation. A chicken breast will fall short in providing me with what I need during a long run, where some sugary whatever will do the trick.

And I have seen the article you mention. It failed miserably at providing anything more than circumstancial anecdotes.

It wasn't one article, but several.

The scientists conducted a literature review.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

You're just playing word games.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

If you can derive energy out of something it is not empty.

Possibly. You could just as easily say the calories in sugar are empty of anything else though. They are just calories.
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2017
    Options

Yep. It really is just a semantic argument.

If someone is struggling with lack of food, living in a famine, whatever, there are no empty calories. (Although that's not 100% true, as there's rabbit starvation and the like.)

When the issue is most people eating an excess of calories, calories without more are probably at a premium to be cut. That's what the USDA, etc., means with empty calories (which they use for sugar and solid fats, apparently, and ought to use for all the added vegetable oils in stuff if they do not).

The nit I'd pick with the argument isn't that sugar is empty calories, as that is currently defined, but the idea that sugar being empty calories means that it's always bad/needs to be eliminated. You can have a healthy diet that meets micro and macro needs without eliminating sugar, and clearly even in the obese areas of the world there are some uses for sugar, like as a supplement for endurance sports at times. I wouldn't think that consuming some sports beans during a marathon (or even regular jelly beans) lacks benefit. It does provide, simply, easily used calories.
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2017
    Options
    To add to that, are the people arguing over the term "empty calories" actually arguing over anything substantive with respect to sugar? I don't think so.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    On the topic of empty calories, I presume nutritionists don't find the actual carbohydrate molecules to be of any worth.

Based on @PackerJohn's posted definition of empty calories, makes me wonder why things like Crisco don't seem to qualify.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    On the topic of empty calories, I presume nutritionists don't find the actual carbohydrate molecules to be of any worth.

Based on @PackerJohn's posted definition of empty calories, makes me wonder why things like Crisco don't seem to qualify.

They do, I think.
  • ndj1979
    Options

not sure how it is a word game to say that sugar is not an empty calorie when one derives energy from it.