WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2017

Options

Replies

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Oh so happy to read of everyone's losses and NSVs.

Michele: Beautiful dress, and you are going to look great. I have to agree with whoever said you should wear your hair up. I haven't cut mine. Still keep it to the middle of my back and using Mother Nature as my colorist.

Lisa: Remembering what you did on the warehouse, I have no doubt you'd make the house lovely and homey.

Katla: I'm in awe of chiropractors and can just imagine the satisfaction of working on horses. Speaking of which, I need to make an appointment to get my back and neck adjusted. :s

I miss Re and Charleen. :o

Okay, need your help here. I'm looking for easy, foolproof Garden Party Potluck recipes. The hostess herself doesn't eat meat, but I don't think she'd object to something with boneless chicken or fish. I'll be hosting guests over the weekend, so won't have tons of time to cook.

On Friday my nephew and his wife are coming to visit from Seattle for the Memorial Day weekend. We love this couple, and don't need to stress because they are very easy going. Still, I want everything perfect. The condo has been scrubbed down. We will give them the master BR and bath. I think I have enough activities identified to satisfy a variety of interests. He is quiet, sweet, loves to fish and be outdoors, and wants all his food as plain as possible. She is more vivacious, loves crafting, museums and art. Eats everything. The big motivation for this trip was my offer to take them to a Tom Petty concert at Red Rocks, which we will do on Monday night. Weather should be okay.....seems Colorado is getting some of the Pacific northwest moisture. DH and nephew have always had a special bond. I hope DH will string together a few good days while the kids are here. Could be so much fun. Mars the cat will be going to the PetSmart Hotel, which will allow us all to get a little extra sleep in the morning.

Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Joyce: Congrats on the new member of the furmily. I love the name Mozart. Goes with Melody.
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Good evening!
    I have found after the last 60 days of tracking that if you plan ahead and actually keep food in the house it's easy to fix low cal, nutritious foods and loose weight. After these 60 days I think I have trained my husband too! He doesn't ask me if I want a piece of pizza or a hamburger. Now I have to get moving!! It's really hard with my back and the pain I experience. I did walk our dog this evening!!

Becca Do you have upstairs neighbors! LOL! I can't get the visual out of my eyes!! OMG! Just kidding. You're a kick!!

Joyce Congratulations! I just love your new little kitty!! We had a black cat for 11 years. He was so cool and such a loving cat! His was named Ivan for the hurricane!

DJ I have a lot of crystals and other rocks. I really couldn't say how many. There are crystal mines around here so we pick them up from time to time and there is a Crystal Festival in Mt. Ida, AR, in October, so we like to go to that to look around. Mt. Ida claims to be the Crystal Capital of the World! I attached a picture for you if a mine. They are open pit mines and you can dig for $10 a day.

Dana in Arkansas
    If you look closely, you can see a guy zip-lining over the mine.
    nqy8hwb7x0wp.jpg
    At the Crystal Festival:
    75fh12wobrxo.jpg
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    rori easy food ideas. Chicken kabobs, just marinate in your favorite spices, grill em up and serve over quinoa or rice, in flat bread or even on top of salad greens. They taste pretty good at room temperature or served hot.
    I was gonna say add a make ahead pasta salad cause that holds up over time. Sounds like you'll have a great visit!

As usual, we're headed to D.C. for our annual pilgrimage to Arlington and the "rolling thunder" event over the holiday weekend. We look forward to it every year. I'll post pics

NYKAREN
  • pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Quilting today. Hugs everyone.
    Paula y
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Back at work ... but very tired today.

Opted to skip uni today. Just couldn't deal with the walking and the convoluted buses and the focusing in class.

A long nap after work made quite a difference. :)

And then there was a focused 4 hours while I finished my next assignment and submitted it. There were times over the past few days where I wasn't sure if I was going to get it done, but I'm reasonably pleased with the final product.

I've decided to take a break from homework tonight ... reset the brain for the next assignments.

Of course I'm working all day today as usual, but I'll spend my evening putting finishing touches on the cycling routes for the events my husband and I host (and ride too, of course).

I need to touch up the cue sheets for the 200 km and 300 km events we held at Easter. There were a few vague instructions which need to be clarified for next year. Then I need to finish the routes for the upcoming 400 km and 600 km events. :mrgreen:
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    We live right by an Air Force Base (Jack is retired AF). This past weekend they celebrated their 75th anniversary with an air show both Saturday and Sunday. We had the Blue Thunder buzzing overhead both days. I love watching them. Saturday they made a huge heart shape high in the sky, we also saw a Stealth Bomber. I had never seen a live one actually in the air. Wow.

Loving all the pictures from my daughter from Athens.

Janetr OKC.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,348 Member
    Options
    Did 10 minutes of a carb burner DVD, held my plank for 2 min 50 sec (5 more than before!), then the extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to use the stairstepper at the Y.

katla - I didn't even KNOW that horses would eat cookies! I've always given them carrots and apples. I guess I just assumed that they, like cats, lack the enzyme for something sweet. Lucky me gets to deal not only with bridezilla but also momzilla. I knew Denise would be a bridezilla. But I didn't realize how the mom would also be one. Well, the day will be over soon

dana - sounds like you'll have a busy day traveling. Stay safe. The wedding is at the end of October. Can't be too soon for me. When all this started, we told Denise that we would give her a specific amount of money for her to allocate for the wedding as she saw fit. To us, this would hopefully help not only with the wedding but also to reinforce the budgeting of money. Well, his mother has blown the concept of helping budgeting right out of the water. One of our goals was to be able to have what you want, but maybe go about getting it in another way. For example, these "robes", I have a lady down here who could probably make them for much less than you could buy them, she has a big special embroidery machine so she could embroider MOH and bridesmaid on the back. It would cost less. But his mother went ahead and bought these, not consulting with anyone else. 50 years!!! What an accomplishment! It'll be 39 for us this year. I thought it would have been way cool for Denise to get married on our anniversary, but she didn't want that. Fine.

Exercised, stopped at the Salvation Army (found a few pairs of shorts for me and a plate for Jess), bowling, ceramics tonight then mahjongg.

klanders - sending good thoughts for you

The heat pump for the spa isn't working so the guy is supposed to call us and come out. Not sure when he'll get here. Personally, I don't mind that the heat pump isn't working for the spa, but Vince likes the warm water coming out of the jets. Update: someone is supposed to come here tomorrow morning.

Lanette - you have no idea how much I'll be glad when this wedding is over!. Evidently, Denise and Jess talked and Jess told her that she won't be eating any of the cake. Maybe Pete's family likes coffee.

DrKatie - congrats on that great NSV.

Thank you everyone for the compliments on the dress. I did get a size larger just so it isn't so tight around the midsection. I'll post a pic when it's altered. I still haven't gotten shoes so she can't hem it yet. But I'm sure there will be more alterations that need to be done first. The dress should be here sometime between Wed and Fri.

Joyce - personally, I don't see anything wrong at all in getting a cake from WalMart or the Publix or any other store. It would probably be cheaper. But Denise wants it her way. So let her have it. I bet Pete's mother is paying for it, anyway. I remember paying to dance with the groom. I remember the bride would make a basket of sorts out of her train to take the money. I'll bet your girls didn't have a $95 box, tho. What a sweet kitty!

janetr - I've always wanted to go to Greece

Michele in NC
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Dana in Arkansas, No worries, we are an upstairs flat! Haha! I take push pins and put up three quilts that have seen better days, so there isn't and way someone can spy on me! I am not into scaring the neighbor kids, or getting a "talk" by our manager! My dear husband was emailing to Navy son, and mentioned what I was up to. He said that mom won't be able to do that if/ when we live with him! Too many trees, downstairs unit off a street, I will just have to find a place to maybe use a sauna! Oh and take vitamin d tablets!
    Becca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Peach: I've seen Re post to the list but not here lately. I can't remember exactly when the last one was. I hope she is well and happy. I haven't seen anything worrisome in her posts. :smiley:

Lanette: We actually turned our air conditioner on today! :bigsmile: My eye aches but I'm using drops in it and they help. I think I mentioned that a new lens has been ordered & I think it should be here sometime next week. I HOPE so. Thanks for your good wishes. (((hugs)))

Becca: You are a wild and crazy girl. :wink: I can see myself laying out in the sunshine, but not without clothes. :noway:

Rori: Our current sunshine and heat must've sent the moisture your way. It was about 90 today. It will cool to 62 on Wednesday & is supposed to bounce back up to the 70's and 80's for Thursday and Friday. I am here to tell you the river is deep, but not scarey. :smiley:

Lanette: Your flowers are gorgeous. :smile:

Michele: I suspect these cookies the horse got were very much like the dog treats I give my dog. I don't think they were human cookies at all, but there were LOTS of them being fed to an obese horse. :flowerforyou:

We had dinner on the deck this evening. DH has gone up to sleep and found a bit of time to visit with you. Tomorrow the dog goes to the groomer and DH goes to the MS doctor. I'll be with him. I hope to go to Costco and pick up a few things while we're closer to them. I'm thinking of things like diced canned tomatoes, garlic powder & polish sausages. Who knows what other temptations they'll throw our way.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James

• coastalgosgal
    Options
    JanetOKC I love air shows! We lived by Travis AFB, and so all we had to do was sit in our lawn chairs in the back yard! We didn't see the shows, but we could hear the different planes, and see there flybys! The tarmacs are so hot at Travis, its like you're in a frying pan. My sons squadron traveled from San Diego to Travis, bringing one of their helos. My son was there for equipment checks etc. Let me find the video for it!
    Becca
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Hmmm well I thought it was on my sons Facebook page but its not! Oh well, it was col because the crew flew with the doors open the whole time! Beautiful, dangerous!
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Katla. I ain't wild and crazy... Hey that reminds me of a story. I was at my sons orthodontist, and well it was toward the end of summer, and after many trips in our RV to the resort. She looked at me and complimented me on my tan, then she asked me what my nationality was. Well, I was a bit taken a back by that, so I said, "Lutheran?". We all laughed at that!
    Becca
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Lanette. Love the pretty blue flower cover! Its stunning!
    Becca
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    <3