Parents let their kids eat trash?

Options

Replies

• rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    When kids in restaurants are screaming for whatever reason usually as their already embarrassed parents usher them out of earshot, it is because they are learning the rules, don't have a good handle on their emotions yet, and etc. When grown women are whining on the internet about everything all the time in the most negative and obnoxious ways repeatedly and calling little kids who are still in the learning curve "obnoxious" it is because they are

Then take them to a restaurant that accommodates families. Don't take them to the fancy place that couples are going to because you wanted a night out and your babysitter bagged on you. And I would LOVE to be at a restaurant where a parent ushers the unruly child out but they never do.

I don't go to restaurants geared towards families for that reason. In fact my husband and I were walking into a restaurant that we had never been to but heard good things about, heard about a million screaming children and walked right back out. When we're at a nice place and the waitress is steering us towards a table that has small children seated there we ask that they please sit us some place else. Why? Because I KNOW that while your child is being nice right now they're going to act up and run around and scream and pitch a fit while you sit there and sip your wine and think it's "darling". I don't need to have my nice, relaxing dinner ruined nor do I need to have your child come stand next to me or peer over the booth at me while I'm eating while you laugh and coo about how adorable he/she is.
    [/quote

THIS. It is so true. I've gotten up and reseated myself across the restaurant because a couple with four or five young kids sat down at the next table. People think their children are so cute and everyone should want them around...this is rarely the case. One time on a plane I had a two or three year old sitting behind me that kept kicking my seat non-stop...I turned around and politely told the parent that if their little troll did not stop kicking my seat I was going to reach around and slap him. That did the job]
    Ummmm...if you slapped my kid you'd be dealing with assault charges. I find it funny that you find it appropriate to deal with a child who is behaving badly by behaving worse than said child....
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Ummmm...if you slapped my kid you'd be dealing with assault charges. I find it funny that you find it appropriate to deal with a child who is behaving badly by behaving worse than said child....

You meant this:

Ummmm...if you slapped my kid I'D be dealing with assault charges.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    When kids in restaurants are screaming for whatever reason usually as their already embarrassed parents usher them out of earshot, it is because they are learning the rules, don't have a good handle on their emotions yet, and etc. When grown women are whining on the internet about everything all the time in the most negative and obnoxious ways repeatedly and calling little kids who are still in the learning curve "obnoxious" it is because they are

Then take them to a restaurant that accommodates families. Don't take them to the fancy place that couples are going to because you wanted a night out and your babysitter bagged on you. And I would LOVE to be at a restaurant where a parent ushers the unruly child out but they never do.

I don't go to restaurants geared towards families for that reason. In fact my husband and I were walking into a restaurant that we had never been to but heard good things about, heard about a million screaming children and walked right back out. When we're at a nice place and the waitress is steering us towards a table that has small children seated there we ask that they please sit us some place else. Why? Because I KNOW that while your child is being nice right now they're going to act up and run around and scream and pitch a fit while you sit there and sip your wine and think it's "darling". I don't need to have my nice, relaxing dinner ruined nor do I need to have your child come stand next to me or peer over the booth at me while I'm eating while you laugh and coo about how adorable he/she is.

THIS. It is so true. I've gotten up and reseated myself across the restaurant because a couple with four or five young kids sat down at the next table. People think their children are so cute and everyone should want them around...this is rarely the case. One time on a plane I had a two or three year old sitting behind me that kept kicking my seat non-stop...I turned around and politely told the parent that if their little troll did not stop kicking my seat I was going to reach around and slap him. That did the job]

Or go to a restaurant that doesn't allow kids, if it bothers you so much.

at-t-infinity-mind-blown-o.gif

You threatened physical harm to a kid...gosh you're a tough guy.
  • RGv2
    Options

You meant this:

I'd rather go with the former, it'd me more worth it in the long run...and fun to watch.
  • rachseby
    Options

You meant this:

:laugh:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options

You meant this:

I'd rather go with the former, it'd me more worth it in the long run...and fun to watch.

Pay attention. I did NOT slap the kid. I succeeded in getting the PARENTS to make the kid stop, which was the idea.
  • rachseby
    Options

at-t-infinity-mind-blown-o.gif

You threatened physical harm to a kid...gosh you're a tough guy.
    But then there wouldn't be any kids to slap....Really...just asking the parents to ask the kid to stop would've been too difficult?
  • rachseby
    Options
    I was thinking about that!
  • c_tap77
    c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Do these exist? I know I personally have never seen a restaurant that has a blanket "no kids allowed" policy. I've listened to children screaming at restaurants where dinner is $75/plate and there is no kids menu...explain that one to me?!

On a side note, don't hit kids...I might grumble under my breath within earshot of the parents but that's about as far as I go...
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Pay attention. I did NOT slap the kid. I succeeded in getting the PARENTS to make the kid stop, which was the idea.

No, I read what you said. Still probably would end the way of me getting assault charges for you even threatening my kids. There are other ways to address your problems. Threats of bodily harm are illegal, by the way, at least in the state I live in.
  • RGv2
    Options

You meant this:

Paying attention, doesn't matter. Just stating what I would have done if the threat to physically harm my child was carried out, no matter how empty the threat was.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options

Do these exist? I know I personally have never seen a restaurant that has a blanket "no kids allowed" policy. I've listened to children screaming at restaurants where dinner is $75/plate and there is no kids menu...explain that one to me?!

On a side note, don't hit kids...I might grumble under my breath within earshot of the parents but that's about as far as I go...

There are movie theaters and restaurants where I live where there are strict no-kids policies. Some of them are even 21+ only.
  • fstfrd00
    fstfrd00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I constantly tell my wife, its not in the trash, its more like hovering
  • RGv2
    Options

www.google.com
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options

Additionally, just because you did "all the right things" by breastfeeding, introducing veggies first, and offered your child healthier options from your own plate as he has gotten older does not mean that he doesn't have a mind and opinion and taste buds of his own. While all of those things are good and will set your child up for better eating habits, it's not a guarantee that they will NOT be picky eaters. Until you have dealt with a picky eater, you cannot judge. Really, you can't judge at all.

This. I did the above, breastfeed, veggi babyfoods (I did buy my babyfood so that is about all there is except fruit), went health nut for a while and only feed my son un-processed/homemade stuff 90% of the time. But, my son has a second parent, my son goes to daycare, he is babysat, he had plenty of other food influences. He went from a eat everything baby to a super picky toddler. Kids are humans with their own personality. You either accept that or you try to turn them into robots. I make my son try new things, but if we are going out he can pick what he wants. Sometimes I eat healthy sometimes I don't. If I get to pick than why shouldn't he? How is he going to learn to make good choices if I never let him make any choices? Sometimes he will eat olives, shrimp, or other "healthier" foods from my plate too, by his own chosing. At home his choices are pretty limited because I don't buy a lot of snacks. It's fun for him to be able to eat those things that are not at home.

There will always be horrible parents and sometimes good parents have bad moments (just talking in general, not always food related). Unless you see that person a lot you don't know which they are. If someone is beating a kid in public, then you have every right to step in, chances are they are doing worse at home (non-abusive parents are NOT going to do that, I mean a serious beating). But, for the most part, you don't really know. I feel more comfortable with parents who's kid's occasionally have bad moments than parents who's kids act like little robots. I also have friends who's kids have ADHD or Autism and of course those kids are going to have their crazy moments. It's just part of life.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

There are movie theaters and restaurants where I live where there are strict no-kids policies. Some of them are even 21+ only.

That's awesome for where you live.

Unfortunately where I live there is only one place which is a movie/dinner theater that is 21+ Fridays and Saturdays only. There are no other places with that policy and it's really unfortunate when I'm at a really nice/expensive restaurant and my dinner is ruined by children.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    The more I see of this train wreck of a thread, the more thankful I am that I decided to be child-free!
  • rachseby
    Options
    I have never gone out to eat and encountered "screaming" children...for the most part they seem pretty well behaved. I have worked and eaten in restaurants for years. Sometimes they might make a mess under the table (which I try to not let my kids do, although there is inevitable droppage) but if you are not the waitstaff that doesn't really affect you...maybe these people encountering "screaming" kids at are amusement parks and don't realize where they are...
    I'm also not sitting there staring at other people's kids and recording what they are eating/drinking.
  • RGv2
    Options
    The more I see of this train wreck of a thread, the more thankful I am that I decided to be child-free!

This makes a lot more sense now.

"I don't have kids, but here's how you need to raise yours"