Parents let their kids eat trash?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't consider chicken nuggets and french fries to be "junk." I think that's taking the concept of junk food WAY too far. It's friggin' cut-up, breaded chicken and sliced potatoes fried in vegetable shortening. I mean come on! (we really need a n "eye roll" smiley)

Here ya go...

tumblr_m4v6s9phln1rwsy4to1_250.gif

Just eat the food and let kids eat too!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Quote;
    This is how we were brought up also. My family never took youngest kids that had trouble behaving in public out that much until they got old enough to handle it. Oddly enough, them feeling "left out" helped tremendously with behavioral issues in public.

A cousin of mine took her three kids to Cedar Point. The youngest was too small to be allowed on one ride and threw a major screaming fit. My mortified cousin took all three kids home, immediately. The older two, justly furious that they had been forced to leave due to the misbehavior of the youngest, went a long way to teach her ( the youngest) that if she ever ruined an outing for everyone by behaving like that again, she would probably not survive it next time. :)
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I don't consider chicken nuggets and french fries to be "junk."

OK - point taken. But you get my meaning. Substitute whatever food you call junk.

The problem I have is calling it "abuse".
  • peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me a little nuts and makes me laugh as well... and at times it makes me sad. These "control your child" posts make me very sad. What sort of adults will we be raising if we teach our children to bow to authority at every turn and take away any autonomy? What would it do to our society if we punished out of our children their innate questioning nature, their need to have some control over their lives, and the spontaneity and wonder that can make life so rich? I know this thread is about what kids eat, but it has turned into so much more. Where would we be if Martin Luther King Jr.'s parents had taught him to bow to authority, do as you're told, don't question, and above all do not make your own decisions? What if, because of stifling parenting practices, we did not have all of the heroes of our past, and present that have questioned authority and come out on the other side having improved society?

No... do NOT stifle your child... If they're screaming in a restaurant then take them to the bathroom and have a talk. If that doesn't work then get a box and take them home. But "controlling" them? What are you gonna do... spank them for being a kid? Threaten them with punishment for having energy, and thoughts, and wants, and needs? Just the thought of "controlling" children makes me sick. You people should be ashamed of yourselves.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me a little nuts and makes me laugh as well... and at times it makes me sad. These "control your child" posts make me very sad. What sort of adults will we be raising if we teach our children to bow to authority at every turn and take away any autonomy? What would it do to our society if we punished out of our children their innate questioning nature, their need to have some control over their lives, and the spontaneity and wonder that can make life so rich? I know this thread is about what kids eat, but it has turned into so much more. Where would we be if Martin Luther King Jr.'s parents had taught him to bow to authority, do as you're told, don't question, and above all do not make your own decisions? What if, because of stifling parenting practices, we did not have all of the heroes of our past, and present that have questioned authority and come out on the other side having improved society?

No... do NOT stifle your child... If they're screaming in a restaurant then take them to the bathroom and have a talk. If that doesn't work then get a box and take them home. But "controlling" them? What are you gonna do... spank them for being a kid? Threaten them with punishment for having energy, and thoughts, and wants, and needs? Just the thought of "controlling" children makes me sick. You people should be ashamed of yourselves.

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    think_of_the_children.jpg
  • fstfrd00
    fstfrd00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    These threads make me laugh :)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options

We weren't talking about them having energy and wants and needs. We were talking about them pitching a fit in a restaurant and annoying other people. No parent should allow that.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Both of my kids ordered 20 piece McNuggets and fries today. 95% of their intake is not fast food or "trash". Neither has weight or health problems. I think I actually did something right.

peeinyard_zps12c70ec9.jpg
  • peggymdellinger
    Options

We weren't talking about them having energy and wants and needs. We were talking about them pitching a fit in a restaurant and annoying other people. No parent should allow that.

And just what do you think causes them to pitch a fit in a restaurant... or anywhere else for that matter? *sigh* SMH
  • NatureChik1985
    Options
    This exact subject makes me so damn irritated! I swear people think that it is child abuse if you feed your kids healthy food! And you know what?!? I hate even calling it healthy food! IT'S FOOD!! REAL DAMN FOOD!! The garbage that most people feed their kids is disgusting!! I have people judge me all the time because my kids eat what I eat...vegetables, proteins, low sugar. They think that I am being unfair to my kids and that I'm not feeding them real food. I love how people think that hot dogs, cookies, candy, pizza, etc is a great diet for kids. To me, FEEDING YOUR KIDS THAT CRAP IS ABUSE!! Sorry! Had to rant..I was having this exact discussion with someone today because they said they couldn't diet because they couldn't feed their kids diet food!!! What exactly is diet food?? Are you talking vegetables, fiber, good oils/fats, lean meats? Because that is real food!! GRRRR

AMEN! All these posts are irritating me as well. Food is not a treat! Junk food is not an essential part of childhood! Also, if you are offended by the OP question is because deep down you feel guilty for feeding your kids trash.

Says the childless.

Agreed!!! I feel like the word abuse is overused and shows ignorance when it is used to decscribe something that IS NOT CHILD ABUSE! Seriously, if you would like to see what real abuse is then volunteer at a shelter for battered women and children. Hear their stories and see the damage that is permanent on their bodies and listen to them and you will see the emotional damage. Feeding your kids what some people call "junk" is not abuse.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    And just what do you think causes them to pitch a fit in a restaurant... or anywhere else for that matter? *sigh* SMH

Could be anything. Maybe a fork falls on the floor. Maybe they have a tummy ache. Maybe that guy with the funny hat walked away. Maybe that guy with the funny hat walked too close. Maybe they got the food they wanted, but it isn't what they want now. Who knows. They are not rational beings with adult senses of proportion when they are very young.

Thing is, it's anti-social to bring a random noisemaker to a nice restaurant or other environment where people don't expect random loud noises. Part of being a responsible parent is knowing when and where to bring kids.

Nothing to do with the OP or eating "trash" though.
  • peggymdellinger
    Options

Could be anything. Maybe a fork falls on the floor. Maybe they have a tummy ache. Maybe that guy with the funny hat walked away. Maybe that guy with the funny hat walked too close. Maybe they got the food they wanted, but it isn't what they want now. Who knows. They are not rational beings with adult senses of proportion when they are very young.

Thing is, it's anti-social to bring a random noisemaker to a nice restaurant or other environment where people don't expect random loud noises. Part of being a responsible parent is knowing when and where to bring kids.

Those things are because they're learning. Children are a part of society, an ESSENTIAL part of society, and the best way for them to learn is to be out in different situations. My suggestion... if any of you dislike children that much... their random outbursts, their learning curve, and yes, their tantrums... keep YOUR *kitten* at home, 'cause I'm sure as **** not keeping my kids out of restaurants to please some jerk with a noise complex.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I don't consider chicken nuggets and french fries to be "junk." I think that's taking the concept of junk food WAY too far. It's friggin' cut-up, breaded chicken and sliced potatoes fried in vegetable shortening. I mean come on! (we really need a n "eye roll" smiley)

Here ya go...

tumblr_m4v6s9phln1rwsy4to1_250.gif

Just eat the food and let kids eat too!

Actually most chicken nuggets contain very little real chicken meat, it's usually the left overs of a stripped chicken, then they grind it all up and bleach it to make it white instead of pink. If you saw the process of how it's made you wouldn't want to eat another chicken nugget.

Having said that, I do allow my kids to eat nuggets and other junk when we're out at parties etc as I don't want them to feel left out....most of the time they eat very healthy home cooked food, so a bit of this isn't going to do them any harm.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Tessyloowhoo Posts: 504
    Options
    I think unhealthy food should be given in moderation. Say you want to feed your kid chicken nuggets? Okay that is fine portion it out with some steamed vegetables and call if a night. BUT If parents do not let their kids eat any "treats" it can backfire. Growing up a little boy in our neighborhood was raised as a no sugar-raw- vegan and he used to come over to our house an DRINK maple syrup...:drinker: Outright denial isn't healthy either..
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Children are people too.

I find you annoying and you're not even making any noise or in a restaurant with me.

People that say they don't like children might as well say they don't like life.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

Those things are because they're learning. Children are a part of society, an ESSENTIAL part of society, and the best way for them to learn is to be out in different situations. My suggestion... if any of you dislike children that much... their random outbursts, their learning curve, and yes, their tantrums... keep YOUR *kitten* at home, 'cause I'm sure as **** not keeping my kids out of restaurants to please some jerk with a noise complex.

Well, it's interesting to see that some people think this. There is no inappropriate place for a child to be, because children are ESSENTIAL to bring everywhere an adult can possibly go.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure my toddler's metabolism can handle his breaded chicken tenders, hot dogs, french fries, and ________ (input whatever your food-aphobic *kitten* wants to). He also loves bananas, strawberries, and blueberries...and rather enjoys green beans and peas (but those are really the only veggies right now)...but I'm sure we must put 100% focus on his hot dog and french fries and call it "trash" and akin to child abuse.

I'm sure it will also be ignored in the court of MFP's childless judgey mcjudgersons that my boy also goes to daddy and me gym time every Sunday, swims, does fun runs with me and/or mom (he's uber excited about his upcoming Piglet Plunge mud run), rides his bike, etc..hell...his play time is probably more intense that a lot of people's actual workouts here.
  • peggymdellinger
    Options
    OMG, Piglet Plunge mud run... sounds like something my kids would LOVE.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I think unhealthy food should be given in moderation. Say you want to feed your kid chicken nuggets? Okay that is fine portion it out with some steamed vegetables and call if a night. BUT If parents do not let their kids eat any "treats" it can backfire. Growing up a little boy in our neighborhood was raised as a no sugar-raw- vegan and he used to come over to our house an DRINK maple syrup...:drinker: Outright denial isn't healthy either..

This is a big part of why I got fat, and why I don't deny my kids anything. I would go to my friend's house and gorge on the stuff my mom wouldn't let me have at home. My kids have always been at healthy weights, and they have the ability to let "junk food" sit in the cabinet for weeks without touching it. I envy that.