Parents let their kids eat trash?

Options

Replies

• ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    nf504f5246.jpg

GAH! Grammatical error in picture. Noooo.
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    We ate a lot of junk food when I was a kid and growing up, and it was not only a part of life (soup sized bowl of ice cream at 8 p.m. every night? Sure!) but there was also this stigma attached to it, like, "This is why you're a chubby kid."

My older son can have the most delicious piece of cheesecake in front of him, eat one bite, and walk away. I envy that. (He can also consume a piece of cake larger than his head after a full meal, which astounds me) He eats "dessert" almost every night, which is often ONE piece of candy or a popsicle. It's never fruit, it's always something "junky", but dang, that kid has portion control DOWN. He also ate a salad that I made last night when no one else would.

My toddler ADORES fruit, and also loves ice cream. String cheese is great stuff, and heck yeah, if I give him french fries, he's all over those bad boys. He doesn't much like veggies yet, but I keep giving them to him.

My goal is to raise healthy kids who do NOT have food issues like I do. Do we eat junk food? Sure. Do we eat healthy food? Sure. Balance, y'all.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Judge all you want folks.

Personally, I'm pleased as punch, the kid that use to throw her plate across the table if a single veggie even touched it (this was at age two, she also tried to live off nothing but cheese for an entire two weeks at that same age) will now eat grilled tilapia, pea pods, sliced cucumbers, raw anything including raw sliced turnips, roasted brussel sprouts, spinach ravioli, my homemade pot pie with every veggie I could find in the fridge stuffed in there... and she's willing to try anything. Doesn't mean she'll love it, but she'll try it.

She's 12 now.

It's been a long, hard road to get her where she is but she's grown so much and doing so much better with food.
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    Okay my son eats EVERYTHING!!!!! My son loves chocolate, ice cream, cheeseburgers, and pizza. But he will also eat chicken, veggies, and there have been times when he has chosen a piece of fruit over junk or french fries!!!! I try not to deny him "junk" or have a fit when he eats it or when someone else gives it to him because I want him to have a healthy relationship with food and make the right choices himself. He eats what I eat as well!! Now, personally, yes I would agree it is not healthy for a kid to have all processed foods and fast food...but there is also such a thing as balance. And that is something we ALL need to have on each of our individual weight loss journeys
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I have kids.

I can't stand kids in restaurants after 8pm.

If my kids and I go out, it's around 5 or 6. People don't want to hear my 4 year old being 4 (even though she's learning manners).

When I go out on dates with my husband, I like it to be as childfree as possible.

But that wasn't what the topic was about lolllll
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I have kids.

If my kids and I go out, it's around 5 or 6. People don't want to hear my 4 year old being 4 (even though she's learning manners).

When I go out on dates with my husband, I like it to be as childfree as possible.

But that wasn't what the topic was about lolllll

Ditto. :flowerforyou:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Simple solution - don't have kids. :D Dogs are cuter anyway.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

You dear, are a wonderful parent. I wish more were like you!
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I don't mind kids in public, restaurants or anywhere. It's when they have the meltdown - and that I can deal with as a part of kids... it's the fifteenth threat of "I'll take you to the bathroom" or "if you don't stop we'll go to the car." At what point lady do you not just get up and take the kid out of the situation.

I pointed the bathroom out to one mother - the kid was unbelievably out of control - hitting her, screaming, kicking - and the mother chewed me out thinking I meant for her to beat the child. Um, no... that's not what I said. I just thought you'd want to get her out of the moment so she could regain control. Lesson learned... and the store said they were about to throw her out over it so it wasn't just me. I was just the idiot who tried to help.

I sat next to a family with a screaming bigger child in a restaurant. The father repeatedly said he was going to take them to the bathroom if they didn't stop. I finally turned around and said "you promised."

I don't personally mind the kids - I hear the kid cry - I see a parent intervene - comfort or remove from situation as needed - and I move on. It's the ongoing screaming with pointless threats that make me edgy.
  • LillyWillow
    Options
    I think a lot of parents are just lazy or put their own needs before the kids. I do think it is okay to occasionally give kids junk food like pizza and drive through, but not every day and not for every meal. Fruit and veggies should be given at some point in the day. I had a friend who always gave his daughter taco bell and McDonald's, and Gatorade instead of water. The kid was crying for water one day and he told her to finish her Gatorade and she just screamed. I gave her my bottle of water and it pissed my friend off so bad that I interfered with what he told his daughter. We have not been as good of friends since that.

As for restaurants, I take my son to IHOP, pizza places, or someplace that is for family. If my husband and I want to go somewhere nicer that costs a little more we get a babysitter. Who wants to pay $20 per meal to hear a kid screaming, or even laughing really loud, or running around the table? When we do go to family restaurants my son can practice his manners and learn how to eat publicly. I will bring him a couple of toys to distract him if he gets bored. Also, if he is having a bad day, is really tired, or cranky, then I stay at home. Why would I want to spend the money to go out with my kid being miserable the whole time? I wouldn't enjoy it, he wouldn't enjoy it, nor would other paying customers. Some times it is disappointing to cancel my plans, but that is what is best for my son. It seems like some parents just don't care how their kids act or that other customers are paying for a nice dinner.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    I was a kid once. I started eating McDonald's at 10 and have had it at least once a week till now. Same with pizza, chicken nuggets, fruit roll ups, candy bars, etc.
    What's one thing I didn't do? Totally over consume each time and still ate well the majority of meals per day.
    It can happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    4 words people "Each to their own"

They're your kids, opinions are like *kitten*, everybody has one.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My kids are two and three. Yes they have eaten fast food, had a sip of soda here and there, popcorn and candy. But not every day! They typically drink water , milk, or almond milk, they eat tomatoes and any fruit they can find. They eat salad, broccoli eggplant, carrots, probably every veggie they have tried. I think a treat is ok but its important to have good eating and healthy snacking habits. As far as restaurants if they start acting up, they sit out side on time out until they calm down, and I stand there with them. Then they get up just fine and eat dinner. I dont think its bad parenting. Its teaching them how to behave and taking time to "compose" themselves and take a breath. They are just kids and sometimes they just need to sit down and have a little mental/physical break. Heck sometimes I need that too! Lol.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Only time I feel sad is when I see morbidly obese parents with morbidly obese children try to put a buffet out of business. I am not talking husky kids, I have known plenty of people that have had a chunky stage but leaned up in their next growth spurt.

I try not to judge most people cuz who knows how long it has been since they ate something that I would call junk. I had another exception to that from a kid in my sons class that I met when chaperoning a field trip and was 50lbs bigger then the rest of the boys and had the biggest sack lunch in the whole class.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I would also like to point out an exception that you should consider before judging someone's kid's eating habits too harshly.

An old friend of mine had a granddaughter that was heavy - at birth she was normal - but soon she was chubby rolls all over - then started walking. Everyone knows when they start walking they should slim down. This baby didn't. She was thick and covered in rolls. Momma is a fitness girl and grandma is a nurse. The baby was exposed to all kinds of foods - healthy and not. The pediatrician told them they were overfeeding baby. They started logging everything the baby ate. The pediatrician thought they were lying because the baby was getting bigger on the charts. There were talks of child neglect/abuse because of it.

Finally the baby was tested - she has a totally dysfunctional thyroid. She was already obese. She was a shockingly heavy 2-3 year old when I saw her one day, grinning, wearing her cheerleader outfit. More outgoing that most any kid I've seen. She stood in a business and sang to us in her cheerleader outfit. So very cute, not self conscious, full of pride for herself.

The pediatrician said she is very hard to regulate on the meds because of her age and particular problem so she is going through a lot of med adjustments and blood testing.

Now she's a slightly heavy bigger girl (she's probably about 8 now). Still outgoing. I'd sure hate to see someone humiliate her about her weight. What if she eats a chicken nugget one day out with her siblings. Who would have judged her mother or grandmother sharply for it? Who will make her feel bad in the future as her weight can't be completely controlled because of her disease? Of course to a reasonable adult her portions won't look big - but she might.

I know she is the exception, but you should think about it when you criticize. What if you just saw her carrying her sister's bag too - would you assume they are both hers? I do fear what she could face from people who don't know her real story.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't let my kids eat out of the trash barrel. :huh: :noway: :ohwell: :sick: And luckily they have never tried or asked. I feed them and they know they can ask for food or get it for themselves, so they do not eat out of the trash. I don't think parents should let their children eat out of the trash. Maybe if they are eating out of the trash, it would be a good idea to feed them more, maybe some extra cookies. :wink: :flowerforyou: :tongue:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Only time I feel sad is when I see morbidly obese parents with morbidly obese children try to put a buffet out of business. I am not talking husky kids, I have known plenty of people that have had a chunky stage but leaned up in their next growth spurt.

I try not to judge most people cuz who knows how long it has been since they ate something that I would call junk. I had another exception to that from a kid in my sons class that I met when chaperoning a field trip and was 50lbs bigger then the rest of the boys and had the biggest sack lunch in the whole class.
    Yes, that's sad. I believe that there are morbidly obese people that eat 2 or 3 times at a buffet because it would be cheaper than buying and prepping the amount of food they intend to eat.
    Can't help them if they don't want to help themselves though.
    Personally I'm not big on buffets because I'll usually eat much less that what I would pay for it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    And just what do you think causes them to pitch a fit in a restaurant... or anywhere else for that matter? *sigh* SMH

Could be anything. Maybe a fork falls on the floor. Maybe they have a tummy ache. Maybe that guy with the funny hat walked away. Maybe that guy with the funny hat walked too close. Maybe they got the food they wanted, but it isn't what they want now. Who knows. They are not rational beings with adult senses of proportion when they are very young.

Thing is, it's anti-social to bring a random noisemaker to a nice restaurant or other environment where people don't expect random loud noises. Part of being a responsible parent is knowing when and where to bring kids.

Nothing to do with the OP or eating "trash" though.

Those things are because they're learning. Children are a part of society, an ESSENTIAL part of society, and the best way for them to learn is to be out in different situations. My suggestion... if any of you dislike children that much... their random outbursts, their learning curve, and yes, their tantrums... keep YOUR *kitten* at home, 'cause I'm sure as **** not keeping my kids out of restaurants to please some jerk with a noise complex.

So then you are more than ok with disrupting someone elses enjoyment of a night/day out in a restaurant? Just cause you have noisy kids & can't keep them under a particular level of noise does not give you the right to impose that on everyone else.

If my son ever played up anywhere we went home. NO taking the food in a box & going home, no way. You act up & cause OTHER people to not have a good time out....you miss out. They learn then that it's NOT acceptable as a child or as an adult.

The way you are going your 'children' will act the same way when adults becuase you didn't TEACH them between appropriate behavior.

BTW as for keeping *kitten* at home. ...... it wont be the person who complains to the manager about the noisy brats that gets banned from entering the place again will it.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I am not childless and I feel the same way.
    This exact subject makes me so damn irritated! I swear people think that it is child abuse if you feed your kids healthy food! And you know what?!? I hate even calling it healthy food! IT'S FOOD!! REAL DAMN FOOD!! The garbage that most people feed their kids is disgusting!! I have people judge me all the time because my kids eat what I eat...vegetables, proteins, low sugar. They think that I am being unfair to my kids and that I'm not feeding them real food. I love how people think that hot dogs, cookies, candy, pizza, etc is a great diet for kids. To me, FEEDING YOUR KIDS THAT CRAP IS ABUSE!! Sorry! Had to rant..I was having this exact discussion with someone today because they said they couldn't diet because they couldn't feed their kids diet food!!! What exactly is diet food?? Are you talking vegetables, fiber, good oils/fats, lean meats? Because that is real food!! GRRRR

AMEN! All these posts are irritating me as well. Food is not a treat! Junk food is not an essential part of childhood! Also, if you are offended by the OP question is because deep down you feel guilty for feeding your kids trash.

Says the childless.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    So, on the topic of restaurants. I only take my kids to restaurants that are specifically marketed as "Family Restaurants", and they have a kid's menu and special kid's deals and sometimes a pirate ship meal. Usually I take them to White Spot or IHOP or a local restaurant that is kid friendly. Most of the restaurants I take them to have other children there and they have TV's (that play sports and people are shouting during the games) and things that provide noise (I figure it's better to take them places in which people are not expecting a silent, quiet time). I try to take them earlier. But, there are occasions when, for example, we were in a dance performance every night together for a week, so on the last night we were tired and hungry and didn't get to white spot until late (the kids were tired and quiet). This can happen in the summer time. Or sometimes if we work late, we will take the kids out a little later. My kids are 6 and 9 (girls) and they are well behaved and not usually loud (sometimes they can be when they get excited). We speak to them about proper behavior in restaurants. They are way past the age of unpredictable behavior and tantrums. Is this acceptable? I just want to know. I do like to be appropriate with the children. I'm rethinking this now, after reading this thread. Anyway, I will take this all into further consideration. Mainly the only issue is that sometimes I take them out at 8 or 9. Not usually, though. And it's at a loud, family restaurant. There was one time I took them to a fancy restaurant because we were in a hotel at a physics conference and we were trapped in a hurricane and everything else was closed and we could not leave the hotel.