Doc said to cut carbs and sugar..

Options
2»

Replies

• Hthrbee1978
    Hthrbee1978 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When you cut carbs, you need to increase fats to feel fuller. Healthy fats, of course. I eat a lot of eggs, bacon(healthy-ish) and avocado. I also eat a lot of cheeses and meats, I looove steak!!

Out of curiosity, what do you consider "unhealthy fats"? Trans?

I avoid most trans fats, and lean more toward fresh real butter and seed oils, avocado oils etc..

• lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Not related to what you're eating, but when I had gestational diabetes, it was strongly recommended to me to walk after every meal to help regulate blood sugar. Is that something you could try to implement, at least as often as you can? Walking is even less intense than the other exercises you mentioned.

As others said, try increasing fats to help you feel satisfied when eating less carbs. For bread, have you looked into any low carb/paleo bread recipes? I know they're not the same as good gluten-y breads, but there are recipes that use coconut flour, or almond flour, and you might find one you like. It's worth a try if you don't mind experimenting.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    When you cut carbs, you need to increase fats to feel fuller. Healthy fats, of course. I eat a lot of eggs, bacon(healthy-ish) and avocado. I also eat a lot of cheeses and meats, I looove steak!!

For myself, I try to avoid trans fats, anything hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated, margarine (fake butters), vegetable oils. I prefer using coconut and olive oils.

You... avoid vegetable oils, and use coconut and olive oils? Although coconuts and olives are technically fruits, their oils are classed as vegetable oil. And chemically, they are no different to things like rapeseed oil (canola) and sunflower oil. And my margarine uses only olive oil, so not all margarine is created equal!
    OP, if you're at risk of diabetes, maybe reducing carbs is a good idea. But there's no need to eliminate them. Losing weight is the best way to sort out blood sugar.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options

For myself, I try to avoid trans fats, anything hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated, margarine (fake butters), vegetable oils. I prefer using coconut and olive oils.

You... avoid vegetable oils, and use coconut and olive oils? Although coconuts and olives are technically fruits, their oils are classed as vegetable oil. And chemically, they are no different to things like rapeseed oil (canola) and sunflower oil. And my margarine uses only olive oil, so not all margarine is created equal!
    OP, if you're at risk of diabetes, maybe reducing carbs is a good idea. But there's no need to eliminate them. Losing weight is the best way to sort out blood sugar.

I believe the person meant vegetable seed oils and that is an issue for a different thread. Hyperinsulemia causes weight gain, not the other way around. It is a complex metabolic issue that has been vehemently argued about on these discussion boards. Just trying to loose the weight without getting to the underlying cause, high insulin levels, still results in issues (including diabetes and heart disease). Depending on the severity of the condition, eating to your blood glucose meter can help you figure out how many grams of carbs you can eat. I can eat about 20-30 grams a day and my glucose stays within a range of 75 to 120. As an example, a slice of whole, multi grain bread would cause my two hour postprandial glucose to go up to 180, so I do not eat bread or any kind of grain. YMMV

I do not have the time to do a dissertation on this subject, so visiting the other website for explanations is best and joining the Low Carber Daily Forum is also very helpful.
  • kaytee003
    kaytee003 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you should be doing Keto then :)
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    @varia2u Lots of people cutting carbs and sugar and many of them diabetic over at:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    OP: I was diagnosed T2Dm 3 years ago. I reduced my carbs but I have not gone low carb. My BG numbers are great.

I eat a maximum of 160 grams of carbs per day, per my doctor's recommendation. She is a Certified Diabetic Educator so is up on all the newest research. I eat bread, fruit, veggies, pasta, legumes, whole grains (bowl of oatmeal most mornings). I just don't eat all of it in one day.

Typical day for me:

Breakfast is coffee with half and half and a bowl of oatmeal

Lunch is Greek yogurt, and sandwich with only one slice of bread and some kind of meat, and some fruit

Dinner typically starts with a big salad and is often a one-pot meal with meat, veggies, and a starch which may be beans, dal, brown rice, pasta, or potatoes.

Snacks are usually protein snacks like eggs, nuts, more yogurt with protein powder mixed in, etc.

Cutting carbs is the first way to manage high blood glucose, but many do not need to go low carb. Exercise also helps.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I found cutting carbs easier if I use vegetables instead of pasta, bread or rice under my protein. For example, I love cauliflower and broccoli rice, and zuchinni noodles. I put eggs or turkey or chicken or fish over them just like someone might use rice or spaghetti. I still get plenty of carbs from my fruit like berries and things like sweet potatoes and oatmeal. I like nuts and avocados for fats as they are tasty and reduce my hunger.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I avoid most trans fats, and lean more toward fresh real butter and seed oils, avocado oils etc..
    Thanks for clarifying.
  • varia2u
    varia2u Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Merrysix wrote: »
    I found cutting carbs easier if I use vegetables instead of pasta, bread or rice under my protein. For example, I love cauliflower and broccoli rice, and zuchinni noodles. I put eggs or turkey or chicken or fish over them just like someone might use rice or spaghetti. I still get plenty of carbs from my fruit like berries and things like sweet potatoes and oatmeal. I like nuts and avocados for fats as they are tasty and reduce my hunger.

I discovered the joys of zoodles last week. I love the stuff :smiley: