Any Gary Taubes fans out here?

Options
13»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan. Lean-meat-healthy-whole-grains was a doozy to overcome but his Good Calories Bad Calories was instrumental for me in that regard. I think he's done a world of good for nutrition science.

how has he done a world of good for nutrition science when he knows squat about it? thats like getting nutrition info from dan rather or any other newscaster/journalist. That would be like getting an eating plan from a podiatrist.

By expecting it to be, you know, science. It doesn't matter whether what he personally believes is right or wrong he's had a huge impact on nutrition research for the better.

Forming a belief and then cherry picking evidence and ignoring data that refutes those beliefs is not science. That's more akin to religion.

A true scientist would change be open to changing his views based on evidence.

But when one is a journalist rather than a scientist, and one that has made tons of money selling his particular brand of woo and fearmongering, I'd imagine one wouldn't want to change their views (at least not publicly). They'd rather double down on the derp, write another book and make even more money.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm a fan. Lean-meat-healthy-whole-grains was a doozy to overcome but his Good Calories Bad Calories was instrumental for me in that regard. I think he's done a world of good for nutrition science.

how has he done a world of good for nutrition science when he knows squat about it? thats like getting nutrition info from dan rather or any other newscaster/journalist. That would be like getting an eating plan from a podiatrist.

By expecting it to be, you know, science. It doesn't matter whether what he personally believes is right or wrong he's had a huge impact on nutrition research for the better.

Forming a belief and then cherry picking evidence and ignoring data that refutes those beliefs is not science. That's more akin to religion.

A true scientist would be open to changing his views based on evidence.

He knows how to make money, that's all I have. Don't confuse him with the general population of low carbers. I fast sometimes, but I have nothing but kittens for Fung.

Speaking of honest researchers, I loosely follow "the every other day diet" every now and then because I find it effective. The writer of that book, Krista Varady, has released a long study about that diet recently that did not show the results she expected. She simply exclaimed that it was disappointing but it is what it is, the every other day diet is no more or less effective than daily caloric restriction and in fact has worse adherence overall, but she noted that some people in the study did REALLY well on it while others did really well on caloric restriction coming to the conclusion that it's no worse or better in general, but that any specific dieting pattern can be worse or better for the individual which is why people need to find what works for them. This made me respect her more. Having written a book and having financial stake in the matter she did not try to manipulate the results of the study or spin them in her favor.

Do you have a link to Varady's study/her response to it? I'm one of those who was very successful with the every other day IF protocol, so I'm curious to see what her findings were :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

He knows how to make money, that's all I have. Don't confuse him with the general population of low carbers. I fast sometimes, but I have nothing but kittens for Fung.

Speaking of honest researchers, I loosely follow "the every other day diet" every now and then because I find it effective. The writer of that book, Krista Varady, has released a long study about that diet recently that did not show the results she expected. She simply exclaimed that it was disappointing but it is what it is, the every other day diet is no more or less effective than daily caloric restriction and in fact has worse adherence overall, but she noted that some people in the study did REALLY well on it while others did really well on caloric restriction coming to the conclusion that it's no worse or better in general, but that any specific dieting pattern can be worse or better for the individual which is why people need to find what works for them. This made me respect her more. Having written a book and having financial stake in the matter she did not try to manipulate the results of the study or spin them in her favor.

Do you have a link to Varady's study/her response to it? I'm one of those who was very successful with the every other day IF protocol, so I'm curious to see what her findings were :)

Here is the study:
    http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/2623528

Her interactions about the study are in bits and pieces in the facebook page and some other websites
    https://www.facebook.com/TheEveryOtherDayDiet/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Here is the study:
    http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/2623528

Her interactions about the study are in bits and pieces in the facebook page and some other websites
    https://www.facebook.com/TheEveryOtherDayDiet/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf

Thanks!