Have Any Of Yous Lost Weight Without Removing Carbs From Your Diet?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if any of yous have lost a huge amount of weight without restricting/removing carbs from your diet? xx

I don't mean to take over OP's discussion, but I think my question kind of goes "hand in hand" with the question. I've always wondered about cutting carbs, also.. However, could you tell me if there are certain type of exercises that one does to be able to keep carbs in their "diet", to loose the weight? Please forgive me, it this is not appropriate.

You don't need to do specific exercises in order to lose weight while eating carbohydrates, you just need a calorie deficit. That said, exercise allows you to eat more while you're losing weight. People who have a higher activity level can eat more of everything while losing weight, including carbohydrates.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if any of yous have lost a huge amount of weight without restricting/removing carbs from your diet? xx

I don't mean to take over OP's discussion, but I think my question kind of goes "hand in hand" with the question. I've always wondered about cutting carbs, also.. However, could you tell me if there are certain type of exercises that one does to be able to keep carbs in their "diet", to loose the weight? Please forgive me, it this is not appropriate.

No specific exercise. I'm forced to go without exercise of any kind sometimes, and sometimes I do nothing more than walking, other times I run. I lose weight on high carb just the same in all instances. My carbs are higher when I run just because my calorie allowance is higher and I can eat more food which means more carbs (and everything else). It's not specific to carbs.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

@SilverSheWolf55
    Any exercise or no exercise!
    Would recommend doing some of course for your health. Exercise you enjoy makes it a win/win and far more likely to be sustainable.

My exercise is both strength training and cycling.
    Cycling of course is a far higher calorie burn and long distance cycling often requires a lot of carbs to fuel effectively - at least if you are interested in performance.
  • icsracer
    icsracer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I stick to the default Macros. I do need to watch my insulin response from carbs, since It is the fat storing hormone. You don't need to go ultra low carbs to loose weight. Just cutting out added sugar and refined flour will get you the same results as ultra low carbs.

My doctor always tells me about the 3 white deaths (sugar, salt, saturated fats)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I cut carbs to lose weight....as well as fat and protein (ie calories). My carb percentage has stayed relatively constant.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I lost weight by cutting all macros, including carbs, but I haven't recently been on a particularly low carb diet. Watch the calories, eat a healthy variety of foods, and the rest takes care of itself.
  • SilverSheWolf55
    SilverSheWolf55 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll @amusedmonkey @sijomial

Thank you so much for your help. I do walk (3) miles everyday, but am also planning on adding strength training. Seems like I am just maintaining, so now I need to look closer at my calorie intake, in order to loose the weight and not maintain. :) Have a wonderful day!

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If you had to cut carbs to lose weight, no one in human history would have ever lost weight before 2003 or so
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I've lost 97 pounds so far, and I pay little to no attention to my carbs. I find that carb-heavy foods often aren't very filling, so I eat them in smaller portions now, but I don't intentionally count carbs or restrict them in any way.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    icsracer wrote: »
    ...I do need to watch my insulin response from carbs, since It is the fat storing hormone...
    There is no net storage of fat while in a caloric deficit, regardless of teh insulinz or the macronutrient composition of your diet. Also, protein is equally as insulogenic as carbs, and carbs are also anti-catabolic. Insulin is also a highly anabolic hormone itself, to the point that some bodybuilders supplement with exogenous insulin in supraphysical amounts. And they don't do it to make themselves fat.

Here's a detailed research review to clear up exactly what insulin does and doesn't do:
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/index.php/free-content/free-content/volume-1-issue-7-insulin-and-thinking-better/insulin-an-undeserved-bad-reputation/

...You don't need to go ultra low carbs to loose weight. Just cutting out added sugar and refined flour will get you the same results as ultra low carbs...
    You don't need to cut out added sugar or refined flour. Either one is perfectly fine in moderation in your diet, as long as you're in a caloric deficit and your diet contains a good balance of macro/micronutrients overall. And the body doesn't treat "added" sugar any differently than it treats intrinsic sugar in foods.

And if calories are held equal, a diet of ultra-low carbs will get you the same results as any other macronutrient combination. CICO is what matters for weight loss, there's nothing magical about low-carb/keto diets. They work by creating a calorie deficit, just like any other diet plan.

...My doctor always tells me about the 3 white deaths (sugar, salt, saturated fats)...
    Which just goes to prove that most doctors are woefully undereducated in nutrition, and spout the same woo and fearmongering garbage anybody could read in a magazine.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

You can keep eating carbs AND do absolutely no exercise at all, (which is the route I went during my weight loss phase)-the only thing that matters for weight loss is that you're creating the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. Exercise gives you a bit more calories to play with, but in the scheme of things it plays a pretty minimal part in the whole process.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I stick to the default Macros. I do need to watch my insulin response from carbs, since It is the fat storing hormone. You don't need to go ultra low carbs to loose weight. Just cutting out added sugar and refined flour will get you the same results as ultra low carbs.

My doctor always tells me about the 3 white deaths (sugar, salt, saturated fats)

Your doctor is ridiculous and wrong, I'd get a new one who isn't full of woo.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If my doctor said anything that melodramatic to me, I wouldn't be able to hold back the laughter.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I increased my carb intake. When I told my doctor I was dieting she suggested I aim for 45g of fiber a day. I had to up my carbs to meet that goal. And I met, and later exceeded my weight loss goal. I still eat high fiber in maintenance (over a year now).
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I lost 80lbs. in 2006, my sole guiding rule was to eat whatever I wanted, but strictly adhere to controlled portion sizes. I ate plenty of carbs.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I actually eat less carbs now than when I was losing weight. I like to eat in volume and for me the easiest way to do that was eating lots of fruits and vegetables to give me that full tummy feeling but still keep a low calorie count. In losing my last 20 pounds I averaged around 60% carbohydrates. Now that I am on maintenance and my calorie goals are quite a bit higher it's been much easier to introduce flavorful fat into my diet.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

If my doctor said anything that melodramatic to me, I wouldn't be able to hold back the laughter.

If my doctor said anything that silly to me, I'd double check his name tag to make sure his last name wasn't "Oz". :D
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

If my doctor said anything that silly to me, I'd double check his name tag to make sure his last name wasn't "Oz". :D

To be fair that's how doctors taught, and yes there is a correlation for all three, but guess what.. They're in almost every dang high calorie food and people don't eat those in moderation and end up fat and more likely to get obesity related diseases, including the number one and two killers. I wouldn't change doctors, but I would take their statement with a big grain of salt, sugar and saturated fat.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some underlying medical reason for limiting them, you can absolutely eat carbs. A calorie deficit is what's important. :)
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I personally had to reduce carbs and switch the types of carbs I eat. I also have auto immune health issues though. Unless there is a medical reason I don't believe any food should be eliminated completely. Why choose to do that to yourself?

I miss fritters