Beautiful Behaviors - May 2017

Options
This thread will be for people who are focusing on creating a set of gorgeous habits that support a healthy lifestyle.

Weight loss is a byproduct, and not the focus. We will practice self-care by eating healthy foods, moving our bodies, drinking enough water, and other activities that make us FEEL GOOD without harmful effects.

For example, taking an hour with your current book on your favorite lounge chair is a great way to take care of yourself. Get a massage or facial, spend time with a friend, crafting… all good ways to make us feel good without the harmful effects of immediate gratification activities like overeating or indulging in other unhealthy activities. It’s all about taking care of ourselves and loving ourselves and making ourselves happy EVEN IF we are not at a weight we love right now.

Yes, we want to lose weight, but there’s more to life than that. Sometimes giving yourself a foot massage will keep you from the donut. Sometimes it won’t but you will still feel better.

This is a judgment free zone. Let’s support each other and leave the negativity offline. I’m tired of beating myself up about my size. I want to plan to do the best I can and not feel guilty about life getting in the way.

I’m a big believer in baby steps, and setting realistic goals, and celebrating every little success! No reason we can’t enjoy the journey to a healthier lifestyle, no reason we have to feel “wrong” because we are where we are.

If you like the way this sounds, please introduce yourself in this thread. Share whatever you like and come back often! I look forward to meeting people with similar attitudes towards life.

Replies

• str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

@happysherri - I am still trying to get addicted to working out. I was there once upon a time and now I just have to work back to it. Today will be a good test of that...hours of pickleball.

@jessiquoi - you can do it.

Upped my protein for this week. Trying to cut those carbs and sub with the right things.

Still no dt dew...still surprisingly no one has died yet. My husband has stated on occasion that I might need a dt dew or even a one point handed me one. LOL I did not drink it but tried to not be so cranky. Today I am really tired so I am really fighting the urge. I am drinking sparkling water to help with the missing my dt dew. Its helping but I sure am missing that taste.

We are doing a corporate workout challenge at work. It is based on minutes of individual workout time. Our company is also competing against others in the tristate as a charity event. We are a sporting goods company so we should win this. (we got out butts whooped last year - finished 22 out of like 30 teams) We should be a leader in the community when it comes to working out. We have everything at our disposal for free...a gym, basketball courts, free core and boot camp classes, pickleball courts etc. I am going to push myself this month.

Doing the May step challenge also - though I was sick last week so I am down 20,000 steps already that I have to make up. Gonna do it though.

So goals for this week... - keep away from the dt dew
    get those extra steps in so I need 12,000 average (then I will make up the other 10,000 next week)

Be conscious of my snack choices

Cook dinner at least 4 or 5 times this week.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    My goals this week are to hit my 2000 cals a day with 100g of protein at least.
    I also want to do leg training tommorow morning, and arms on thursday.
  • jessiquoi
    jessiquoi Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    cooking for the first time in ages (john does most of the cooking). making chicken breasts in peanut sauce. maybe spinach on the side. i feel weird in my kitchen that isn't a kitchen! my blood sugar was awesome today on day 1 of low carb take 2.
  • KimF0715
    KimF0715 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    @aleahurst Yay you! Be well !!!! ❤️
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    day 2 of low carb take two. yesterday was great, and i walked after dinner also. my blood sugars and total insulin usage responded immediately and favorably. i MUST stick this out until i get over the cravings. i know i can do it. i have to want it more. i'm still kind of mourning eating the way i'm used to. i've never been a big meat eater, getting most of my proteins from legumes etc, but they're full of carbs too so i've cut them out. i'm eating meat and trying to make it more interesting (last night - chicken with peanut sauce). i will get used to this!

how is everyone today?
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    @KimF0715 - That is how it starts and how it started with me. Being more aware of what you are eating and not necessarily diving in full force but making small changes. Keep going
    @jessiquoi - That's awesome. Sounds as if you are and will be having great success! ha ha, kitchen that isn't a kitchen. I am carb cycling, so I have some low carb days too.
    @str8bowbabe - That gym sounds awesome and glad you found something you enjoy - pickleball (just makes me want a pickle lol). Go get that challenge, girlie!!!!
    @katadx - Great goals. I did legs last night! Legs are my favorite to work.
    @wellnesschaser - Wonderful work. When I had depression my therapist said you need to refill your soul to even begin to be able to help others, even your kids. I struggled with feeling guilty when taking time for myself. You conquered this and sounds as if you put your time to good use!!!
    @aleahurst - You are a Warrior!!! I am so happy that you feel better and have been able to get up! I am terrible at painting solid things. (it's funny because I'm an artist and used to paint on canvas but I am lousy at painting a wall haha)

Update: I will be crawling in another day, because I murdered LEG Day! :D I completed 47 minutes of legs last night, solo. My bf had to work and then I tried to get one of my sisters to go but it was last minute. I truly don't mind working out alone but sometimes it's just more fun with a partner.

This is my third day of low carbs and so far it's not as hard as I thought it would be (although this is only the third day). I expected sugar cravings and low energy but I really have not had much of either - although, I did fit some Halo Top ice cream into my macros. Tomorrow is HIGH Carb day!!! I'm excited but need to make sure that I get "good" carbs. **I'm doing carb cycling, I am practicing a 3:1 (3 low carb days and 1 high carb day) So far I am fluctuating down 2 lbs from Sunday. I'm sure that is water, but whatevz :wink:

Thought of the day: Sometimes you are meant for the sidelines and other times you need to take action. **This is not always easy to figure out. We don't want to get involved or seem nosey, yet sometimes you can make the situation better. I normally try and stay out of things and of course, I hate drama. However, I finally took action on a situation and it is now getting looked at because the situation was not right and was effecting others. I prayed a lot on it and had a strong feeling of you can't always stay out of things and wait for someone else to fix the problem. I felt the urge to take the action and made the call.

Have a Wonderful Wednesday!!!!
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    @happysherri Thank you! I want to do so much more in life (with my business, getting lean again, family stuff) but I read recently that we have to invest in ourselves! I like this MFP community because hats why most of us are here!

@jessiquoi Great thread!
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    So, who's doing what for mother's day this weekend, and are you worried about going off program?

i'll be seeing my daughter and my mom friday and saturday, driving home to maryland on sunday. mom cooks on the healthy side, so i'm sure i'll be all right.
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    @wellnesschaser, thanks, and welcome!
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    @happysherri, isn't Halo Top the best fake ice cream around?
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    OP, are you diabetic? Feel free to add me, I am type 2 diabetic.

Today I woke up and did an Insanity Max 30 workout, a good workout for the first time in forever. I forgot how much of a mood booster physical activity is!
  • jessiquoi
    Options
    yes, @ksz1104, i am a type 1 diabetic, wearing an insulin pump and a continuous glucose monitoring system.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    @jessiquoi - I probably won't even get to see my kids on mother's day because one is finishing her finals in college and the other is working 2 jobs and still going to high school. My mother passed away 3 years ago this month. I will probably have a half way lazy day, definitely go to the gym, I may try and see if my sisters want to go to lunch or dinner? Not sure, but I probably won't be eating a bunch because I am truly trying to stay strict on my carb cycling. Since I know I will only be practicing this for a month or 2, I believe I will be able to keep to it. This is why I set smaller goals because I can see an end in sight and stick to things better. :smiley: Happy early mother's day to the moms
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    jessiquoi wrote: »
    So, who's doing what for mother's day this weekend, and are you worried about going off program?

i'll be seeing my daughter and my mom friday and saturday, driving home to maryland on sunday. mom cooks on the healthy side, so i'm sure i'll be all right.

We are spending Mothers Day hiking in the Garden of the Gods in IL. I cant wait.

• Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    My mother is back in my old city and I'm moving back on the 18th! We are having a late mothers day supper that evening! I can't wait to be able to see her more often.