Beautiful Behaviors - May 2017

Options

Replies

• jessiquoi
    jessiquoi Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    just came from the gym, and i'm getting ready to go get my hair cut off! :) going short again for the summer. can't wait, and as always, so nervous. why? i don't know.

have a beautiful day, all!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    @spdaphne Wonderful! Those kind choices do wonderous favors for your body and weight loss plan. I agree with @aleahurst that a mid day walk is very rejuvenating! I wish all employers allowed their employees time to be outside during the day.

Yesterday I moved back to my old city! I'm glad to be out of the big city and be able to see my parents all the time now. I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed with unpacking and organizing my things. I worked on it all for 6 hours today and am still only half done. I'm also now adjusting to the fact that I get to have my life back. At college I didn't have a car (my parents let me use one of theirs and stay on their insurance to save money) and I was stuck on campus bored most of the time. Since I was bored and homesick, I stress ate. I wasn't in charge of my food either (campus cafeteria plan), and calorie counting was a lot harder but I managed to maintain for 7 months. I am so happy I get to be my own boss again, but I just don't know where to start! I'm back to work tommorow and have so many errands to do. My car wouldn't start this morning so I couldn't sign up at my new gym or run errands I needed to today, but I ended up having enough stuff to do at home. It should be running tommorow. I've also gone 3 days without a workout and I know it's good for my mental state but I'm getting very restless and need some exercise. I'm hoping tommorow's the day I can finally sign up. I guess I just have to give myself some time and slack for a few days. Do any of you have advice for 'getting back to business?'
    On another note, once I do get to the gym, my beautiful behavior for myself this week will be setting up an appointment with a personal trainer at my new gym. I want to make sure I'm using proper and safe technique in my lifting routines before I up the weight and increase my routine so I don't do damage to my body. I also will be meeting with a nutritionist soon to make sure I'm fueling myself properly to recover from my workouts.

Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    What a lovely positive thread! <3

Today I'm planning ahead for a luncheon bridal shower event - will enjoy a hearty green veggie juice (to stave off hunger) so that I can make smart food choices.

For tomorrow I recruited a friend for a 15 mile waterfall hike.

Also, Monday I'll be reclaiming my health by having the Mirena IUD removed - it has cause me too much trouble the past 6 months & I can't wait to get it out of my body.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Hi, Everyone -- I hope you're all enjoying the weekend. :)

My beautiful behavior today was an early trip to the farm market where I stocked up on some fruits and vegetables including a bunch of just-picked spinach, an ear of corn on the cob, a large heirloom tomato, some delicious nectarines, an apricot, 3 Kirby cucumbers, and 3 Yukon gold potatoes. I also bought a "homemade" white bean and spinach "burger" that I'm looking forward to having for dinner.

This afternoon I went for a nice walk. The coolness was a welcome relief after the unexpected heatwave we had this week.

Looking forward to reading all your beautiful behaviors this weekend...
  • aleahurst
    aleahurst Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    @SaraKim17 - wow! That sounds wonderful.

I was a sick little girl today -wa wa wa- so I am eagerly reading what everyone else is doing. I promise to be up and around tomorrow!

@jessiquoi - short hair again! Let summer begin!

@katadx - you are doing the very same things I would do. In fact, you seem a little more observant than I am. You are doing great. Keep it up!

@321blueeyes - welcome! It's good that you are reclaiming your health. Is the bridal shower for you or a friend?

My son is spending some time at the house tonight, which is great. I'm having some unexplained fear, so I am glad for him to work at home tonight.

Love to all.

Lea
  • PKM0515
    Options
    Hope you're feeling better today, Lea! :)
  • jessiquoi
    jessiquoi Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday, everyone! There's no sun here yet, it's very overcast in my neck of the woods, but it's early yet and I have hopes.

I feel so good with my hair cut off! Like I lost 5 pounds, which I didn't. :)

Today is chores day... food shopping, laundry, etc etc. What are you up to today?

My beautiful behavior will be to purchase lots of yummy healthy food for myself when we go shopping.

ttyl,
    jess
  • PKM0515
    Options
    jessiquoi wrote: »
    Happy Sunday, everyone! There's no sun here yet, it's very overcast in my neck of the woods, but it's early yet and I have hopes.

I feel so good with my hair cut off! Like I lost 5 pounds, which I didn't. :)

Today is chores day... food shopping, laundry, etc etc. What are you up to today?

My beautiful behavior will be to purchase lots of yummy healthy food for myself when we go shopping.

ttyl,
    jess

Love the hair cut and love the mug!

Meeting a friend for a movie and lunch today. Hope to squeeze in a walk later on too.
  • roboliciousbob
    roboliciousbob Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet addiction. I love sugar.. I love chocolate. I love all sweet things. Bingeing on sweets was what lead me to gain so much weight. In the past when I have tried to get healthy, I have cut out sweets and it's always led to failure. So this go round, I although myself little piece of chocolate everyday. Or a cookie a couple times a month. As long as it fits into my daily calorie allotment and macros, I allow it. Since January, two of my kids have had birthdays, I've gone to two day parties, graduations. Every time I had a small piece of cake(because I love baking and I'm damn good at it) and icecream. I just made sure I worked out those days and had plenty of calories to work with. I haven't felt deprived or like I am missing out on things I love/life.

Normally for breakfast I have 1 egg&3/4 of whites and a whole wheat English muffin. I feel better when I eat a protein heavy breakfast. I don't feel as hungry and it helps power my morning workouts. I don't really mind eating the same thing every day but I thought maybe I should try something different. And since I am a lover of sweet things, maybe make something that would feel like a treat but still have the protein that I love to have for breakfast. So today I am making a protein breakfast cake for the week. CAKE. I LOVE cake. I really hope it is as good as the lady says. And it will be something easy to grab in the mornings when it's crazy.

https://hollyperkins.com/protein-perfect-breakfast-cake/2990
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I'm a newly diagnosed (December 2016) type 2 diabetic - presently taking metformin and glimeperide, hoping to reduce my insulin resistance by weight loss and exercise enough to get off the glimeperide. I've already been able to halve my dose, so that's good.

Right now I'm struggling with life balance. Before being diagnosed, I was severely ill for a year with an ovarian tumor, and I also have lupus. Those things made it difficult to exercise or even do normal activities, and there were days when it felt like basically the only thing I could do that didn't hurt was eat. Since my surgery I have been much more alive and am working to get my fitness back, but I'm also terrified that my lupus will flare up and take all my hard work away from me. Plus, it seems like all I do now is plan what to eat, cook, eat, and work out. I need to find a way to balance a healthy lifestyle with other activities. So this thread is perfect for me.

Right now my goal is to make time to just sit outdoors in good weather and read a book. Yesterday I was outside when I heard a rustle in the trees and looked up and this was looking back at me! We sat there and looked at each other for several minutes and then she (pretty sure this is the momma with babies which I have seen before) hopped down and walked off along the top of the fence. I felt pretty good being so peaceful that animals weren't afraid of me. I live in a part of the country that doesn't have raccoon rabies or deadly parasites, so I can just enjoy my neighbors.
    9opqvbhiab3p.png
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

My afternoon walk Thursday was nice. Friday I was going to make dinner with my boyfriend, but he was so tired and exhausted from his crazy work week, so I made him homemade buffalo burgers (with salad and some fries) which we were both happy about. And we got lots of sleep in the next day. I’m always happier when I made my own food.

Saturday, I finally got myself out of bed and went to a strength training class and spent some time after on the elliptical. I also went to my office and picked up a Stitch Fix box I’d been waiting for as I wanted to do a little fashion show for my boyfriend on what I got (he does the same when he gets his box). I was happy I got a Maxi dress that looked great. While I’m not physically where I want to be, it’s so nice trying on clothes that make me feel good. I wore a dress (not the Maxi one) that day and did my my makeup and my boyfriend and I went to a tasty thai place and a pop up drive in theater to watch Star Wars. It was extra nice because it was our 1.5 yr anniversary, so it felt nice spending time together.

Today, I’ll go on a walk and get some meditation time in which I haven’t done in ages. Maybe throw in some yoga to stretch after my class yesterday as my legs are super duper sore (hurts to squat/bend down, etc.)

@katadx, my nutritionist told me about this 7 min workout I could do to get some movement in or to do just a few jumping jacks, squats, whatever to get going. It can be hard on days you’re super busy, but there have been times where I don’t have time for a proper workout so I just do some jumping jacks, push ups, planks, squats and call it a day. I’ve done this while microwaving my food. Haha. https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/?_r=0

@321blueeyes … sounds like a nice weekend so far, especially the hike. Congrats on getting your IUD removed. I’ve been off hormone BC for the last couple years and it’s been so nice.

@SaraKim17 … I love the farmer’s market. I’m so grateful we have them all year long where I live. I need to make a trip out to one again soon.

@roboliciousbob … yep, take baby steps with sugar!

@rheddmobile … ah, a furry friend! Wow, you’ve been through quite a lot. Glad to hear you’re making some time for yourself to be outside and enjoy a good book.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    @321blueeyes that sounds so beautiful! (the juice and the walk! lol)
    @sarakim17 Farmers markets are the best. Thats one of the best things about summer!
    @spdaphne thanks for the link! I'll be sure to give it a shot when I don't make it to the gym.

Yesterday I was able to sign up for a 7 day free trial at the gym I was going to join. I say going to join because I've changed my mind and decided to go with a smaller, local gym. I was drawn to the other gym (a snapfitness) I had the 7 day trial at because it included classes (but I later found out with my schedule I could only make it to 1 or 2), a nutrition consultation once a year, and 2 free personal training sessions. After thinking for a while, I figured that any nutrition questions I have I can ask my doctor about since I see her more than once a year. I also figure that I can more vigilantly follow a prescribed lifting program like NROLW or 5x5 stronglifts instead of needing a personal trainer. The local gym is cheaper (25$ a mo) and has an amazing variety of lifting equipment. Sure it's not all the same brands and its not all brand new, but as a novice lifter having a lot of machines really helps me especially with form. This gym has a huge emphasis on powerlifting and has a hardcore atmosphere. They also play great classic rock! But I don't exactly fit in and am not a super muscley girl, but I figure that every ripped person in there had to walk through the doors in a similar situation. I'm happy to be supporting a local business, but I'm still a bit nervous about messing up my form and being scoffed at or not taken 'seriously'...
    On another note, i got a lot of my stuff put away from moving. I had my first day back at work too and it felt great. The best part about my job is that I can walk and stand all day and it raises my base calories a day from 1800 to around 1900 or 2000. Since I burn more 'naturally' during the day, I feel more motivated to place an emphasis on my lifting. (I was afraid to before because I wanted to burn a certain amount per day in order to eat a satiating amount of food)

Hope everyone has a relaxing sunday!
  • KimF0715
    KimF0715 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Trying to get back on after a crazy crazy weekend. Work dinner on Friday night and my daughter's sleepover on Saturday night. Yep! 7 thirteen year olds up until 4am. Just shoot me.

In exactly one month I will be boarding a cruise ship and taking my (very long awaited) second honeymoon. We will be married 15 years in September.

So...I am challenging myself to get on my treadmill EVERY SINGLE DAY for the next 30 DAYS. Can I do it?

I honestly do not know. But I am going to try like hell.

30 Day Workout/Calorie Deficit Challenge.

Wish me luck!
    Kim

• str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Hello all you lovely ladies! Sorry I have been missing in action but my hubby and I took a long needed, mini vaca so well The Cheesecake Factory happened. Calories went out the window for that day but luckily we have already walked about 7 miles earlier that day and had plenty of calories left from the day before.

Today I am starting to up my protein by adding protein shakes back into my day. I am also adding H.I.T. training back. I need to up my cardio for softball which should be starting next week.

Also, cupcakes in the office today. Avoiding them like the plaque. LOL

Goals for the week - H.I.T. - 3 days a week
    Hit my protein macros

@spdaphne - without my midday workouts I might not make it through the day.
    @rheddmobile - love to watch the animals part of the reason I love to hunt. I see so many different animals doing what they do naturally.
    @roboliciousbob - Ask yourself this...how do you eat an elephant? The same way you eat anything else...one bite at a time. Its baby steps like @spdaphne said.

Oh and I forgot to tell yall - I bought myself a new workout tank...I love the saying....Squats don't like you either! LOL

Everyone have a great day!
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! The sun is finally out. What a gloomy weekend, it rained all weekend. Blech!
    I was so happy to get back to swimming this morning. I missed it yesterday.
    So, I seem to be in a plateau with losing weight. I went under 180 and haven't been back under since last week. I do seem to still be shrinking a little though. At volleyball Friday, almost every single guy asked me if I lost weight. That felt good. I played like crap, but I felt good.
    My son made vegan brownies on Saturday and left an extra big brownie in the pan, which I ate. That would be my second time eating refined sugar in the last 3 months.

@KimF0715 - you go girl with the treadmill
    @jessiquoi - love the short hair
    @katadx - good job joining the gym and having a plan - I need to start lifting weights again
    @str8bowbabe - vacation with the hubby is always good - don't worry about going off one day
    @spdaphne - sounds like you had fun trying on some new clothes - good for you
    @rheddmobile - that is odd seeing a raccoon during the day - I know what it is like to fight illness and not be able to exercise (I have MS) - take it slow and one day at a time - I remember when getting through a day was all I could do - it has been a long journey, but I am now up to swimming almost every day and eating clean - it can happen if you are patient

I have a lot of work to get done before I meet with this employee on Thursday who is in town. I am not looking forward to it because he is very difficult to talk to and work with. He is pretty set in his ways and every time I ask him to help me, he argues with me. Sigh...

I did have a great day with my older son yesterday and I was able to talk him into having a small graduation party. I also got his present in the mail today. I sent in 60 t-shirts for a queen-sized quilt. It looks so amazing! I think he will love it.

My beautiful behavior for today will be stretching and slowly working to get this section of eLearning finished (first draft that is).

Have a great Monday!
    Nicki
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @str8bowbabe - I used to hunt but haven't for some time. Are you a bow hunter? I was into competitive archery in college and also did a little bow hunting with a recurve.

@nickiphillips1 - t-shirt quilts are the best! Congrats on your son's upcoming graduation.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and will get my first a1c test since my lifestyle changes. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me!

Yesterday's beautiful behavior was that I am tackling the guest bedroom which became my "pile everything in there" room during my illness. I need the space for a workout room, so I am going through old clothes, Christmas junk, hobbies, worn out furniture, and planning to be relentless in giving everything to charity. The last time I tackled it, I was suffering from vasculitis due to my lupus, and gave up due to my heart rate shooting up at the slightest activity. Yesterday I just marveled at how much better I feel now comparatively. And I got a nice reward, I found a dressy skirt I bought years ago that I was unable to wear because it was too small, with the tags still on it. And it fits!
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    P90X phase two day one. Beat the heck out of my arms but feels so good.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I've been busy busy so haven't had time to check in.

Quick Update: I feel better and completed 98 minutes of Legs and Abs on Saturday and 95 minutes of Shoulders and Stairs on Sunday. I will be at the gym tonight too (I think it's back and biceps).
    Went out with my sisters for dinner on Saturday, was nice to see them and catch up. Trying to get out more.

Thought for the day: Can you remember who you were, before the world told you who you should be? **I'm working on this. While with my sisters we went to Barnes & Nobles (I hate books, I don't enjoy reading.) I bought 2 books, 1. is a Sketch book to get back into my art and the 2. Story of my Life, it prompts you to write about your life and different stages and feelings. So far I am enjoying writing and sketching. I hope to feel like my old self soon.

Have a good Monday (I have the Monday feels blech) :/
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile yes I bowhunt. I work for an archery manufacturer. I am now starting to seriously shoot traditional bows. Moving from compound bowhunting to traditional hunting. Love to be in the woods for all that you see and feel.

@happysherri - rock that profile pic!!!! Great job!

@KimF0715 - get on the treadmill and go! You can do it!

@spdaphne - buffalo burgers YUM!!!!!
  • snowflakkes63
    snowflakkes63 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This seems like a very supportive community. Would love to be a part of it