Are you a narcissistic person?

Options

Replies

• Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Very few people do anything for a totally unselfish reason. Think about it.

Almost everything I (and others) do is for a self reward.

If you can name something you do that is totally unselfish, I'd love to hear about it.

Really? I gather you've never done any volunteer work. There are TONS of things you can do unselfishly.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

If you can name something you do that is totally unselfish, I'd love to hear about it.

Nobody can win this game. If I told you the unselfish thing I'd done, I'd be telling you for the sole purpose of getting "credit" for it, thereby negating its totally unselfish motivation.

:p
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »

Really? I gather you've never done any volunteer work. There are TONS of things you can do unselfishly.

^^ This, as well as raising children. The things I have done and do for them is not for self reward or self satisfaction, but for their good and well-being.
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »

Nobody can win this game. If I told you the unselfish thing I'd done, I'd be telling you for the sole purpose of getting "credit" for it, thereby negating its totally unselfish motivation.

:p

This is more or less what I was going to say, but you said it so clearly. You and I can be friends.
  • Just_J_Now
    Options
    gianna42 wrote: »

^^ This, as well as raising children. The things I have done and do for them is not for self reward or self satisfaction, but for their good and well-being.

Totally. Every single day I do something that is not for me at all. In fact, I hardly do anything for self reward and sometimes I upset myself because I'm always last on the list of priorities.
  • cdkelly
    cdkelly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    For me raising my children is the biggest reward and pay off I've experienced! It's not solely out of responsibility for me...i truly enjoy and love every part of it and find it extremely rewarding. That's not being selfish...but it's still a pay off. Not sure why people think the pay off is a bad thing. It's not. It's being human and the very thing that motivates us to do what we do and progress and evolve as humans.
  • Just_J_Now
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »

I think that it can be unselfish for sure, but you still feel good about having volunteered, and that's part of the reason you do it.

Feeling good about what you've done isn't inherently bad, but you can't deny that if you give $5.00 to a homeless man, pay for a coffee for the person in line behind you, or spend the day planting trees, all of that makes you feel good about yourself.

I have to disagree. It's not part of the reason I do it at all. If its in my heart to help someone, I'll help and not expect anything in return, not even a good feeling. It's not about me.
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options
    Everybody wants attention ESPECIALLY females. Females, no matter how ugly they are or insecure, crave it. With a hot woman.....we all know her ego is gonna be sky high. If you're hitting your goals and are either leaner/ripped or muscular, you want a way to show that off. That's why I wear clothes that show off that I lift. I don't wear baggy clothes anymore like I did in hs/early college days. Everybody likes to feel good about themselves.
    BaddS4 wrote: »
    Everyone likes getting attention.. Be proud of what you accomplish, and sometimes you just gotta flaunt it!!! I love it when I get dressed up in a nice suit and head out to dinner or a function.. Makes ya feel good about yourself!!! :smile: (I feel kinda James Bond-ish) lol
    cdkelly wrote: »
    Contrary to popular belief, true narcissists have a lack of self love. Which is why they need the attention from others so much. It's the opposite of codependent, which interestingly enough is also someone with a lack of self love...just a different coping mechanism. I'm definitely more on the codepdent side of the bar. Which most people think means you aren't independent...which is absolutely not true. You are actually usually more independent. The difference is codependents GIVE to feel important and narcissists TAKE to feel important. Ideally we should be able to love ourselves and fit somewhere in the middle of those two.

Talking about taking selfies and caring about how you look...I don't think that equals narcissistic. Maybe vain...but who isn't lol

These
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    DasItMan91 wrote: »
    Everybody wants attention ESPECIALLY females. Females, no matter how ugly they are or insecure, crave it. With a hot woman.....we all know her ego is gonna be sky high.

wow. a bit too much overgeneralization here.

• Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options

I got a kick out of this. It reminded me of the Friends episode where Phoebe tried to show Joey there is such a thing as a selfless good deed.
  • Just_J_Now
    Options

I think that it can be unselfish for sure, but you still feel good about having volunteered, and that's part of the reason you do it.

Feeling good about what you've done isn't inherently bad, but you can't deny that if you give $5.00 to a homeless man, pay for a coffee for the person in line behind you, or spend the day planting trees, all of that makes you feel good about yourself.

I have to disagree. It's not part of the reason I do it at all. If its in my heart to help someone, I'll help and not expect anything in return, not even a good feeling. It's not about me.

So you've never felt good about yourself for doing volunteer work? You just pack it in for the day and think, "well, I feel meh about what I've just done."

Not only volunteer work but there are selfless things that I've done just because I care. I don't focus on how it feels to me. I guess it feels okay but I never think once to pat myself on the back. For example before my mom died she was bedridden and did EVERYTHING on herself. Did I feel good about cleaning it up? Not necessarily, but I did it anyway. I don't recall going back home and thinking "boy do I feel great about cleaning up a grown ups soiled bed and diaper". It's just something I did for absolutely NO self reward AT ALL.
  • Just_J_Now
    Options

Well, you're an anomaly, then.

Yeah I'm not quite normal. B)
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options
    DasItMan91 wrote: »
    Everybody wants attention ESPECIALLY females. Females, no matter how ugly they are or insecure, crave it. With a hot woman.....we all know her ego is gonna be sky high.

wow. a bit too much overgeneralization here.

It's the truth, women want attention.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, yeah, I do some volunteer and pro bono work, but I can't claim that it's 100% selfless. I do get benefits from it, and I pick and choose my causes based on my personal priorities. So there's definitely some self-motivation there, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Parenting? Same deal - I get a ton of benefits from parenting. My kids make me happy. Individual activities involved in parenting them aren't necessarily rewarding, so no, I'm not like "Yay! I get to break up another argument over the same stupid iPhone charger!!!" But in the big picture, I love my kids, I love the people they're becoming, so parenting is HUGELY rewarding for me. I can't claim that's "selfless."

We're probably just talking in circles, here, anyway.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options

I do lots of volunteer work. I commend you for it. However, isn't one of the reasons you do it because of the good feeling it gives you? IKnowing you are doing the right thing and helping others?
  • Just_J_Now
    Options

I do lots of volunteer work. I commend you for it. However, isn't one of the reasons you do it because of the good feeling it gives you? IKnowing you are doing the right thing and helping others?

Nope not necessarily. Already addressed this same point.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    *kitten* yes.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options

Nope not necessarily. Already addressed this same point.

I saw that after I had already responded. Didn't mean to beat a dead horse. Sorry. I guess you are unique.

I know I go out of my way to treat my wife the way I do, but it all comes back to me positively by her appreciation and the way she treats me and feels about me. That's not why I do it, but it's still a positive feedback that I am aware of, just as you know the positive changes you have made in other people's lives. That's all I'm saying.
  • bufnitzoiu
    bufnitzoiu Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm not narcisistic....i'm perfect! <3