Where do I buy pants now? Help, please!

cstevenson86
cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I've always purchased my pants from Lane Bryant. I'm about to hit a size 12 (down from a 16, woohoo!), but I have no clue where to buy pants! Lane Bryant only has four selections for size 12, none of which are work appropriate. I work in an office.

I am still curvy, even though I'm down to a size 12, so I need to make sure there's enough room for the hips and booty lol.

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much for the help! I'm totally lost!

Replies

• Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    edited May 2017
    I've always purchased my pants from Lane Bryant. I'm about to hit a size 12 (down from a 16, woohoo!), but I have no clue where to buy pants! Lane Bryant only has four selections for size 12, none of which are work appropriate. I work in an office.

I am still curvy, even though I'm down to a size 12, so I need to make sure there's enough room for the hips and booty lol.

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much for the help! I'm totally lost!

I actually shop at thrift stores these days. I got tired of spending a crapton of money on clothes only to shrink out of them a few months later.

You should be able to find a size 12 in pretty much any non-specialty clothing store you walk into. The shops deannalfisher mentioned are good for work clothes. I also really like Kohl's for business casual. As for still being curvy, you have to know what pant styles will fit you best. I learned that I can't wear anything low-rise - it doesn't fit me right. I also can't do tapered legs - they look horrible on me. Bootcut or trouser style pants should be good for curves, if you like them.

ETA - If you're worried about hips/butt fitting, stay away from anything that says slimfit too or size up.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Congrats on your achievement :) I also was going to suggest NY&Co as a good place. Dress Barn could also be good. Then there's Macy's, JCP, Kohls too, just look for the curvy fit vs the standard fit
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Macy's - their private label Alfani has great basic options - I live in them - size 12 soon to be 10!!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Macy's for me, they always have good sales/coupons. But beware that the Alfani brand utilizes extreme vanity sizing. In most of their work-appropriate pants I'm a size 2. 2?!?! Every other brand in every other store I'm a size 6, so that's a little ridiculous.
  • pmastro724
    pmastro724 Posts: 122 Member
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Macy's - their private label Alfani has great basic options - I live in them - size 12 soon to be 10!!

I was going to suggest this as well. I bought 6 pairs all different colors and wear them all week. They wash great too!
  • stacief82
    stacief82 Posts: 109 Member
    JCP Worthington Brand of dress pants, they are decent price and look nice. I also have bought dress pants from Kohls, but I feel like their sizing is a bit odd (I think they run a tad big)
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Macy's for me, they always have good sales/coupons. But beware that the Alfani brand utilizes extreme vanity sizing. In most of their work-appropriate pants I'm a size 2. 2?!?! Every other brand in every other store I'm a size 6, so that's a little ridiculous.

I also wear 12 in Michael Kors, Calvin Klein, Athleta, etc so I don't find that to be true at all. Sound more like a humblebrag..,
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I like The Limited for dress pants. But ALWAYS wait for a sale. They do them all the time.
  • MrsSeager
    MrsSeager Posts: 82 Member
    I get all my clothing for work at The Loft Outlet store, they have killer deals and the clothes are great for work, including their jeans!
  • SuzySunshine99
    amyepdx wrote: »

I also wear 12 in Michael Kors, Calvin Klein, Athleta, etc so I don't find that to be true at all. Sound more like a humblebrag..,

Not at all...I didn't mean any offense. But, like I said, in every other brand everywhere, I'm two sizes larger. Maybe some of their sizes are in line with other brands, but others are definitely not.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Loft is a more affordable Ann Taylor partner. Talbot's. Jones New York. Nordstrom.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    I really like Christopher and Banks dress pants
  • jennyhart200
    jennyhart200 Posts: 692 Member
    If you are still in the process of losing weight, I would suggest New York & Company. They often have buy 1 get 1 free sales on pants, so you can get them at a great price. For higher quality, I like Ann Taylor or Banana Republic. I know that Ann Taylor has pants in different fits, including one for curvier women.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member

Interesting. I used to work at Macy's and swear by Alfani. I never had any problems with customers not matching up their size in Alfani appropriately. I wore an 8 in about 5 different styles of their pants and an 8 in 5 other brands. Do you know which work-appropriate pants it was?
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Try things on though--I have large hips and even most "curvy" brands don't work for me. I end up wearing a lot of skirts. Long, loose skirts.... I say "Well I'm Romani, so what did you expect me to wear?" They can't say it's unprofessional if it's my culture.
  • SuzySunshine99

Interesting. I used to work at Macy's and swear by Alfani. I never had any problems with customers not matching up their size in Alfani appropriately. I wore an 8 in about 5 different styles of their pants and an 8 in 5 other brands. Do you know which work-appropriate pants it was?

Hmmm....I have purchased many different styles of the Alfani pants...they are my everyday work pants, but I don't know the exacts name of the styles. I also have to get the "short" versions, so maybe that makes a difference. So odd.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Old Navy has some nice work pants. Not too expensive especially if you are still losing.
  • HildieMe
    HildieMe Posts: 41 Member
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Loft is a more affordable Ann Taylor partner. Talbot's. Jones New York. Nordstrom.
    Finally someone mentions my favorites! I love Jones NY, somehow I always wind up with that brand. But I always had hips that are smaller than my bust size (14 on top, 12 for the bottom, or both a size smaller) so I don't think that's appropriate in this case... Now with the vanity sizing even size 10 pants are too big sometimes. Just sayin'.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Torrid is excellent for curvy body shapes. They have sizes from 10 to 6x. I'm a 12 and get quite a few things from there, they have such pretty stuff!