Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Where do I buy pants now? Help, please!

cstevenson86
cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I've always purchased my pants from Lane Bryant. I'm about to hit a size 12 (down from a 16, woohoo!), but I have no clue where to buy pants! Lane Bryant only has four selections for size 12, none of which are work appropriate. I work in an office.

I am still curvy, even though I'm down to a size 12, so I need to make sure there's enough room for the hips and booty lol.

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much for the help! I'm totally lost!

Replies

• Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    edited May 2017
    I've always purchased my pants from Lane Bryant. I'm about to hit a size 12 (down from a 16, woohoo!), but I have no clue where to buy pants! Lane Bryant only has four selections for size 12, none of which are work appropriate. I work in an office.

I am still curvy, even though I'm down to a size 12, so I need to make sure there's enough room for the hips and booty lol.

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much for the help! I'm totally lost!

I actually shop at thrift stores these days. I got tired of spending a crapton of money on clothes only to shrink out of them a few months later.

You should be able to find a size 12 in pretty much any non-specialty clothing store you walk into. The shops deannalfisher mentioned are good for work clothes. I also really like Kohl's for business casual. As for still being curvy, you have to know what pant styles will fit you best. I learned that I can't wear anything low-rise - it doesn't fit me right. I also can't do tapered legs - they look horrible on me. Bootcut or trouser style pants should be good for curves, if you like them.

ETA - If you're worried about hips/butt fitting, stay away from anything that says slimfit too or size up.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Congrats on your achievement :) I also was going to suggest NY&Co as a good place. Dress Barn could also be good. Then there's Macy's, JCP, Kohls too, just look for the curvy fit vs the standard fit
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Macy's - their private label Alfani has great basic options - I live in them - size 12 soon to be 10!!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,989 Member
    Macy's for me, they always have good sales/coupons. But beware that the Alfani brand utilizes extreme vanity sizing. In most of their work-appropriate pants I'm a size 2. 2?!?! Every other brand in every other store I'm a size 6, so that's a little ridiculous.
  • pmastro724
    pmastro724 Posts: 122 Member
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Macy's - their private label Alfani has great basic options - I live in them - size 12 soon to be 10!!

I was going to suggest this as well. I bought 6 pairs all different colors and wear them all week. They wash great too!
  • stacief82
    stacief82 Posts: 109 Member
    JCP Worthington Brand of dress pants, they are decent price and look nice. I also have bought dress pants from Kohls, but I feel like their sizing is a bit odd (I think they run a tad big)
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Macy's for me, they always have good sales/coupons. But beware that the Alfani brand utilizes extreme vanity sizing. In most of their work-appropriate pants I'm a size 2. 2?!?! Every other brand in every other store I'm a size 6, so that's a little ridiculous.

I also wear 12 in Michael Kors, Calvin Klein, Athleta, etc so I don't find that to be true at all. Sound more like a humblebrag..,
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    I like The Limited for dress pants. But ALWAYS wait for a sale. They do them all the time.
  • MrsSeager
    MrsSeager Posts: 82 Member
    I get all my clothing for work at The Loft Outlet store, they have killer deals and the clothes are great for work, including their jeans!
  • SuzySunshine99
    amyepdx wrote: »

I also wear 12 in Michael Kors, Calvin Klein, Athleta, etc so I don't find that to be true at all. Sound more like a humblebrag..,

Not at all...I didn't mean any offense. But, like I said, in every other brand everywhere, I'm two sizes larger. Maybe some of their sizes are in line with other brands, but others are definitely not.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Loft is a more affordable Ann Taylor partner. Talbot's. Jones New York. Nordstrom.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    I really like Christopher and Banks dress pants
  • jennyhart200
    jennyhart200 Posts: 769 Member
    If you are still in the process of losing weight, I would suggest New York & Company. They often have buy 1 get 1 free sales on pants, so you can get them at a great price. For higher quality, I like Ann Taylor or Banana Republic. I know that Ann Taylor has pants in different fits, including one for curvier women.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member

Interesting. I used to work at Macy's and swear by Alfani. I never had any problems with customers not matching up their size in Alfani appropriately. I wore an 8 in about 5 different styles of their pants and an 8 in 5 other brands. Do you know which work-appropriate pants it was?
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Try things on though--I have large hips and even most "curvy" brands don't work for me. I end up wearing a lot of skirts. Long, loose skirts.... I say "Well I'm Romani, so what did you expect me to wear?" They can't say it's unprofessional if it's my culture.
  • SuzySunshine99

Interesting. I used to work at Macy's and swear by Alfani. I never had any problems with customers not matching up their size in Alfani appropriately. I wore an 8 in about 5 different styles of their pants and an 8 in 5 other brands. Do you know which work-appropriate pants it was?

Hmmm....I have purchased many different styles of the Alfani pants...they are my everyday work pants, but I don't know the exacts name of the styles. I also have to get the "short" versions, so maybe that makes a difference. So odd.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Old Navy has some nice work pants. Not too expensive especially if you are still losing.
  • HildieMe
    HildieMe Posts: 41 Member
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Loft is a more affordable Ann Taylor partner. Talbot's. Jones New York. Nordstrom.
    Finally someone mentions my favorites! I love Jones NY, somehow I always wind up with that brand. But I always had hips that are smaller than my bust size (14 on top, 12 for the bottom, or both a size smaller) so I don't think that's appropriate in this case... Now with the vanity sizing even size 10 pants are too big sometimes. Just sayin'.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,953 Member
    Torrid is excellent for curvy body shapes. They have sizes from 10 to 6x. I'm a 12 and get quite a few things from there, they have such pretty stuff!