How dare these restaurant chains not post nutritional information?

Options

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    I actually agree with the OP. I get that it's expensive but people need to know. Anyone heard of Slim Chicken? People are OUTRAGED that the restaurant won't post their nutrition information. I went there once and won't go back because I have no idea how many calories I'm consuming.

More and more people are becoming calorie conscious so I think it makes good business sense, but if they don't want to post it they don't have to post it. I'll just move on to a restaurant who does (besides, Raising Canes is much better than Slim Chicken anyway :D )

You're OUTRAGED, really? Over what one business owner decides to do with their own business, when you're free to choose a product from any number of other businesses that also meet your criteria for the item you want to purchase? Doesn't OUTRAGE seem like a really excessive emotion in this case?
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    More and more people are becoming calorie conscious so I think it makes good business sense, but if they don't want to post it they don't have to post it. I'll just move on to a restaurant who does (besides, Raising Canes is much better than Slim Chicken anyway :D )

i get the annoyance more if the place is focused on being health conscious, i don't know what "Slim Chicken" is but it sounds like it's marketing itself as a healthy-ish place. there's a place called "Grown" by me which is owned by ray allen (of the miami heat) and markets itself as a health place but doesn't have info about allergens and calories and that was a bit annoying. but i didn't know that the cost was prohibitive for a lot of places. duly noted.
  • twistedingenue
    twistedingenue Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Slim Chicken is in no way marketing itself as healthy. I think they are dragging their heels because they don't want to admit just how many calories are in a few chicken tenders.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Slim Chicken is in no way marketing itself as healthy. I think they are dragging their heels because they don't want to admit just how many calories are in a few chicken tenders.

gotcha, i got confused by the "slim"
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It really doesn't cost that much money for you to have nutritional facts on your food in a restaurant. The guidelines for them aren't as strict as packaged food in a super market. You could easily get this from raw ingredients. Working in the restaurant industry you see it all the time, portions vary from cook to cook. A 500 calorie meal could jump up a few hundred calories just depending on who's working. Restaurants aren't reprimanded for this at all while say lays potato chips would be. I've literally had a manager use butter for weight watcher meals instead of the low calorie option cause it cuts down on food costs and they make big bonus's for stuff like that. This was in a big chain restaurants, lets call it crapplebee's.

The main issue lies in that it's time consuming and most restaurants aren't going to invest that time into doing this. Why? Well people who are going out to eat for the most part aren't worried about the calorie content of the meals. Sure they would change that if the majority of customers complained about it. It's different when its a chain and there are restaurants spread out nation wide.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Haven't there always been build your own pizzas on the menus? I remember that option since I was a kid. My family usually got pepperoni, olives, mushrooms and then anchovies on half.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    This is turning into a good debate: when should restaurants be required to post nutritional info? Here are some options

- Make it entirely voluntary (never required)

- Required it for chains selling standardized items (the current requirement for 20 or more locations)

- Require it for all restaurants, all meals

I wonder if restaurants should be allowed to do their own estimates listed as such. It is pretty easy to do that with a variety of online tools (including MFP).
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Note that at one time, fast-food and other restaurants weren't required to reveal their ingredients to the public. Check out the ingredients for McDonalds "fries:"

FRENCH FRIES:
    Ingredients: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Natural Beef Flavor [Wheat and Milk Derivatives]*, Citric Acid [Preservative]), Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (Maintain Color), Salt. Prepared in Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil with TBHQ and Citric Acid added to preserve freshness), Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I think it would depend on the requirements to establish - if they are providing a ballpark - i.e.
    pizza a - 500-800cal (depending on customization) - all places could do this
    pizza b - 564 cal (as written) - verified by an independent body - totally different story
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    This is turning into a good debate: when should restaurants be required to post nutritional info? Here are some options

- Make it entirely voluntary (never required)

- Required it for chains selling standardized items (the current requirement for 20 or more locations)

- Require it for all restaurants, all meals

I wonder if restaurants should be allowed to do their own estimates listed as such. It is pretty easy to do that with a variety of online tools (including MFP).

I think the way it is, is just fine...if you're a chain with more than 20 locations, you should have the resources whereby the requirement wouldn't be overbearing.

I don't think allowing a restaurant to just use a database like MFP would be any good...to be remotely accurate I think it needs to be sent to a lab as it is now. Even then there's a wide margin of error depending on who's cooking...the error rate just using some database would be even higher.