How dare these restaurant chains not post nutritional information?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It costs a lot of money...if mom and pop shops were required to do that, there wouldn't be too many mom and pop shops.

I'm sure that all of the ingredients in their pizzas have nutritional information, including the flour, dough, cheese, sauce, toppings, etc., and they should be relatively consistent in how much they use for each product (if not, they aren't running things efficiently and aren't controlling their food costs). Therefore, I'm not buying that it is some monumental effort to provide nutritional information.

They can't just rely on that...it goes to a lab...

Displaying nutritional info is voluntary for restaurants with less than 20 locations, so if a local (non-franchise) restaurant wants to display nutritional information, it isn't subject to the FDA standards for calculating nutrition (I see it all the time on menus for local businesses who put disclaimers that the stats are estimated).

But the post you are quoting I said if it was required...if it was required they do it, it would be subject to FDA standards....

I've personally never seen a local establishment even provide estimates...and frankly I could care less...I have common sense and I can guestimate well enough.

(Pssst - it is *couldn't care less*)

My kid has severe food allergies, so it would take a complete lack of common sense not to understand the ingredients that he is eating. There are a lot of factors that dictate what people could and couldn't care less about.

Oooo grammar nazi...i should just report you for violation of MFP rules, but I'm not like that.

Pssst...one of my boys has food allergies too...we ask about what's in the food and it's also fairly easy to determine...but really, that has absolutely nothing to do with a restaurant providing calorie information.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    It costs a lot of money...if mom and pop shops were required to do that, there wouldn't be too many mom and pop shops.

I'm sure that all of the ingredients in their pizzas have nutritional information, including the flour, dough, cheese, sauce, toppings, etc., and they should be relatively consistent in how much they use for each product (if not, they aren't running things efficiently and aren't controlling their food costs). Therefore, I'm not buying that it is some monumental effort to provide nutritional information.

In order to post nutritional information the food has to go to a lab certified by the FDA and the lab has to run several tests to determine the average nutritional information. Not a cheap option for a business that runs on a slim profit margin.

If you have less than 20 locations then there isn't any FDA involvement.

I know that. It is not required BUT if a restaurant or small chain chooses to post nutritional information, they have to do it using a lab certified by the FDA. They cannot post nutritional information not acquired through the proper channels.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Oath responded to my tweet. Synopses: "soon."
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    My college coffee joint finally added calories to their menu. I was pleasently surprised by some things. I think adding calorie counts can increase business in some cases, especially if the restaurant has 'nothing to hide' per se.
  • swilde1978
    swilde1978 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Displaying nutritional info is voluntary for restaurants with less than 20 locations, so if a local (non-franchise) restaurant wants to display nutritional information, it isn't subject to the FDA standards for calculating nutrition (I see it all the time on menus for local businesses who put disclaimers that the stats are estimated).

You're right, it WOULD be very easy for them to make something up. Calorie counters would be happy, they'd get more business. Of course, they'd probably estimate on the low side to gain more sales, and so you'd be eating more calories than you thought...

Perhaps you should be happy that these businesses aren't just coming up with their own calorie counts.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    This is turning into a good debate: when should restaurants be required to post nutritional info?...

Required it for chains selling standardized items (the current requirement for 20 or more locations)

I like this one.
    Require it for all restaurants, all meals

I'd be against this, I think it's too burdensome for local places that change their menus a lot (or smaller places in general). However, if they want to it can be a marketing chip. I personally don't have any interest in going to dinner places that would do that -- I like interesting food and it being so standardized works against that. However, for a quick lunch place, I don't go to those without cal counts, when I have other options that are just as good. There's a vegan chain, Native Foods, that apparently will not give calorie counts and I am pretty sure it's because they would be crazy high. The fact they won't makes me generally dislike going there and something I would choose not to do (I have a vegan friend who likes it when we meet for a quick lunch, though, sigh).
    I wonder if restaurants should be allowed to do their own estimates listed as such. It is pretty easy to do that with a variety of online tools (including MFP).

It wouldn't be reliable, and if you could force them to be honest (by penalizing them if they were wrong) they'd almost have to take advantage of the more protective options, like how they do it now with it being lab certified. And this makes it impossible for places that aren't so standardized.

There are also lots of places that do have it if you want it, so why force a mom and pop to do it?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oath responded to my tweet. Synopses: "soon."

There's a local place here, Firefin (poke), that originally did not have calorie counts, but seems to want to expand, and as part of that has added them. I was so pleased I went there a couple times just to reward them with my business. (It's good, too.)

So could be the same kind of thing.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

In order to post nutritional information the food has to go to a lab certified by the FDA and the lab has to run several tests to determine the average nutritional information. Not a cheap option for a business that runs on a slim profit margin.

If you have less than 20 locations then there isn't any FDA involvement.

So they would be required to post nutritional information, but there would be no expectation that it be verified via lab analysis?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Yeah, I just can't get worked up over this. Restaurants shouldn't be required to leap over MORE red tape to do business. Mom and Pops are becoming fewer and further between, and I don't think that's a good trend.

then everyone will complain that food costs are going up ...
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I wonder if restaurants should be allowed to do their own estimates listed as such. It is pretty easy to do that with a variety of online tools (including MFP).

This is a non-starter. There would be absolutely no verification (aside from perhaps crusading TV news reporters). I would guarantee that new "calorie counting" websites, specifically for restaurants to use, would spring up, perhaps sponsored by food and beverage companies or restaurant industry groups. Then some lawmakers would insist that you have to use only certain websites, enshrining them in law. And so it would go.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    This is turning into a good debate: when should restaurants be required to post nutritional info? Here are some options

- Make it entirely voluntary (never required)

- Required it for chains selling standardized items (the current requirement for 20 or more locations)

- Require it for all restaurants, all meals

Seriously, have you looked at the amount of garbage included in the MFP database entries (and any other database dependent on user-entry)? You can find lo-balled calorie counts for half the food entries and plenty that make no sense whatsoever from any view-point. The nutrition info is wrong or incomplete more often than not and a single food item may be entered under five different names. No thanks, I'll stick to my own estimates, and if I'm off, so be it.

eta: I was looking up grapes today for my diary - half the entries appeared to have been entered by the same user in 1 cup or liquid (ml) measurements. smh
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't cost that much money for you to have nutritional facts on your food in a restaurant. The guidelines for them aren't as strict as packaged food in a super market. You could easily get this from raw ingredients. Working in the restaurant industry you see it all the time, portions vary from cook to cook. A 500 calorie meal could jump up a few hundred calories just depending on who's working. Restaurants aren't reprimanded for this at all while say lays potato chips would be. I've literally had a manager use butter for weight watcher meals instead of the low calorie option cause it cuts down on food costs and they make big bonus's for stuff like that. This was in a big chain restaurants, lets call it crapplebee's.

The main issue lies in that it's time consuming and most restaurants aren't going to invest that time into doing this. Why? Well people who are going out to eat for the most part aren't worried about the calorie content of the meals. Sure they would change that if the majority of customers complained about it. It's different when its a chain and there are restaurants spread out nation wide.

Wow. That's wrong on so many levels. It's no wonder people who eat out often have to be careful.
  • DapperDassie
    DapperDassie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think out of all the restaurants in my town maybe like 1 or 2 list the calories? And there are looots of restaurants. Its hard eating out here
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Most of the chain type places here in the UK provide nutritional information.

Very few of the higher end or independent type places do.

I'm yet to feel outraged.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't think ANY restaurant should be forced to post the information. Let them if they want to, but to make it a law is reaching. If you want nutritional information, then just eat at places the have it. That is your right as a consumer. Let the market sort it all out.

I think the larger chains should make it available and as others have noted, it's not that much hassle for them to get it done. They also have a high consistency in their product so it's very relevant, unlike a mom and pop restaurant.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    I live in South Africa and only the BIGGEST restaurant and fast food chains post nutritional information on their websites. It is very uncommon here.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    This thread has so made me laugh. How on EARTH did people lose weight in the good 'ol days when NOWHERE listed their calories..? Despite the fact that most of the people on MFP do, so obviously it's something "we" might like, most people do not and so most restaurants aren't really going to be worried about losing the tiny handful of people who might not eat there because the calories aren't listed.

As for me personally, I do count calories, but if I'm going out for a meal, I don't need to know what the calories they say are in it because you have to take that nutritional info on the menu with a gigantic pinch of salt. Many people on here have pointed out the calorie difference in mass produced pre-packaged weights and therefore calorie values so imagine the difference in restaurant cooked food. Especially something like pizza, depends how heavy each individual maker is with the cheese etc. I guesstimate, shock horror!

If you are really that OUTRAGED at a pizza joint not providing their calories I suggest you never eat anything that you haven't made from scratch yourself. So nothing prepackaged as that's often wrong too.

My life's too short to not risk it once in a while and risk my eyeballing estimate is wrong by a couple of hundred calories...! But hey, I'm just that kind of gal!
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options

But the post you are quoting I said if it was required...if it was required they do it, it would be subject to FDA standards....

I've personally never seen a local establishment even provide estimates...and frankly I could care less...I have common sense and I can guestimate well enough.

My kid has severe food allergies, so it would take a complete lack of common sense not to understand the ingredients that he is eating. There are a lot of factors that dictate what people could and couldn't care less about.

Psst - http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_valley/2014/03/18/why_i_could_care_less_is_not_as_irrational_or_ungrammatical_as_you_might.html

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

Oooo grammar nazi...i should just report you for violation of MFP rules, but I'm not like that.

Pssst...one of my boys has food allergies too...we ask about what's in the food and it's also fairly easy to determine...but really, that has absolutely nothing to do with a restaurant providing calorie information.

Actually someone did report that savage correction I inflicted upon you – I apologize, I am still trying to understand how the most benign corrections are labeled as Nazism and trigger people, but I will work on it. (I accept grammatical corrections with humility and use them as opportunities for improvement, but hey, that is just my crazy philosophy…)
    FatMoojor wrote: »

Psst - http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_valley/2014/03/18/why_i_could_care_less_is_not_as_irrational_or_ungrammatical_as_you_might.html

But the user was not trying to say the he could care less, he was trying to express that he couldn't care less. However, if he said he could care less about his family, then technically that would be correct, because he loves his family and could certainly care a great deal less about them, so it would be rational and grammatically correct.