How often do YOU eat fast food/takeout/restaurant food?

toxikon
toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
I'm just curious about what other people's eating habits are like!

How often do you cook your own meals vs. get your meals elsewhere?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I virtually always prepare my own breakfast and lunch (I may buy my lunch at work one day per month or so).

I eat out for dinner 1-2 times per week usually. The other dinners I prepare for myself.
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    I typically eat out at lunch on Saturdays and Sundays; usually fast food on Saturdays and sit down on Sundays. This is only because I am with my parents doing things, if I weren't I would eat food from home. Eating out is expensive.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Eat out for brunch about 1 x a month.
    Lunch also about 1-2 x a month.
    Dinner also 1-2 x a month.

I mostly am happy to cook, but have some work social opportunities I don't want to quit (the brunch with coworkers, a networking lunch monthly). And then once in a blue moon, we go out as a family. If you count meals other people feed me, that adds another 1-2/month of family get-togethers or meals at the inlaws.
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    I eat out around twice a month, everything else is prepared and eaten at home. Haven't eaten any fast food since 12th Jan this year as it put me in hospital...gallstones
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    in a normal week i go out for 1 lunch per week, 1 brunch per week and maybe 2-3 dinners are out or take out. i try to keep the dinners down but sometimes i just really want sushi. also, if i get pizza, indian or thai food for dinner then it's likely going to have leftovers for 1-2 lunches so i guess i should count that too but that's less frequent.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Fast food if you consider McAlisters and Panera fast food - once a week, because I take my son to dinner and it's too far to drive him back to my house for a home cooked meal. I order items that fit my day, this is why we mainly eat at these 2 places.
    I usually have 1 splurge meal per week, so I will eat out for that because what fun is it to have to clean up afterward.
    Also, the cafe at work makes awesome egg white and veggie omelettes, so I will eat breakfast at work about once a week. I'm friends with the cooks and the manager of our cafe, so I definitely know what goes into them.
    So, if you add that up - about 3 times a week maybe. :smile:
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Lest fast food lately as I'm trying to watch my $ but in general, quite a bit. Now dinner is take out 1-2 nights a week for sure as I work a 2nd job on Sundays/Fridays and tend to bring home food after. Otherwise I also pick up Subway or similar for lunch 1-2 times a week.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    I eat lunch at a fast casual place like Qdoba, Panera, or a wrap place about once/week.
    I eat fast food when running around with kids usually once on the weekends.
    I eat dinner with my family at neighborhood Italian place, mexican food, or bar and grill once a week.
    I have a nicer dinner out with girl friends or husband maybe once or twice a month.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    During the week, I live at home and make virtually everything. The only exceptions are when I forget to bring lunch to work.

On weekends, I'm at someone else's home and we eat out for most meals.

Interestingly enough, that is different from when I was losing weight. Then, I tended to head to Taco Bell for lunch during the week. I'd get chicken soft tacos or a chipotle chicken griller and a diet soda.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Twice a week usually, sometimes more. My husband takes me out to eat for lunch on Fridays and we usually just hit the local Subway next door to my job. On the weekends, we'll go to Chili's and split a burrito and chips/guac or pizza. :)
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Out of the 21 meals in a week I make 19-20 of them at home from scratch. We usually eat lunch out on Saturdays after my long run, because after 10+ miles I want all the calories. Lunch on long run days is often In 'n Out Burger because I consider it the perfect recovery meal. We sometimes eat dinner out Friday or Saturday night. That meal can be almost anything, but almost always a local (not chain) restaurant: Afghan food, steak house, Mexican, whatever we're in the mood for.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited May 2017
    toxikon wrote: »
    I'm just curious about what other people's eating habits are like!

How often do you cook your own meals vs. get your meals elsewhere?

Fast food...very rare...I went to Subway yesterday for lunch because I forgot my lunch at home...probably my first fast food in a couple of months.

We get pizza most Friday nights.

I usually take my kids out for lunch sometime on the weekend...they love Sweet Tomatoes and Jason's Deli...we usually go after the park or trampoline park to give mom a little space to do her thing...I'm always trying to get them to go to the Urban Hotdog Company, but I can only convince them once in awhile which is probably a good thing...I love that place.

My wife and I go to a nice restaurant at least once per month, but we shoot for two date nights (sometimes they're during the day) per month.

We cook at home most of the time.
  • toxikon
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    Out of the 21 meals in a week I make 19-20 of them at home from scratch. We usually eat lunch out on Saturdays after my long run, because after 10+ miles I want all the calories. Lunch on long run days is often In 'n Out Burger because I consider it the perfect recovery meal. We sometimes eat dinner out Friday or Saturday night. That meal can be almost anything, but almost always a local (not chain) restaurant: Afghan food, steak house, Mexican, whatever we're in the mood for.

A big meal out after a long run is one of my favourite joys in life.
  • toxikon
    A lot.

What are your favourites? :)
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    It's finals week. That should be all I need to say. :tongue:
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    I work at a subway so I eat a 6" carved turkey sub on wheat flatbread with honey mustard, spinach, and lettuce 5 x a week. It's free, and it fits my calories nicely! Besides that, I'll eat out 1-2x a week if my family wants to.
  • toxikon
    katadx wrote: »
    I work at a subway so I eat a 6" carved turkey sub on wheat flatbread with honey mustard, spinach, and lettuce 5 x a week. It's free, and it fits my calories nicely! Besides that, I'll eat out 1-2x a week if my family wants to.

We have a Subway in our office building and it's so tempting to just grab a quick sub for lunch! If they were free, I'd definitely go for it. Sadly, my wallet doesn't agree with buying me a sub 5x a week.
  • mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    I usually make breakfast and most lunches. We eat dinner out at least twice a week and on the weekends. I do try to make healthier choices though I'll still eat a burger and fries if it fits in my goals for the day...