Calories burned cleaning (light effort) for five or six hours?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
Can I get an estimate? I was seated most of the time, but sorting clothes, sweeping the floor around beds, sorting toys, moving laundry bags around and doing laundry (so a tiny bit of walking but not much) for 5-6hrs. Myfitnesspal says 600-700 calories for 4hrs but it seems a bit over the top to me so I was wondering if anyone has a better calorie estimator. I'm 5'4" 180lbs and 27 years old.

Replies

• Verity1111
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    No extra. That's not significantly different from sedentary

How so? I was sweaty and exhausted by the time I was done. It was 5-6hrs of moving way more than normal.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    I'm sweaty and exausted after a solid hour gym session and I barely get 200 calories from my heart rate monitor. I would say it wouldn't be much more than that.

How do you only get 200 from that long at the gym? I burn that much (more if you go by my heartrate monitor or fitness band) walking for 40 minutes only 3mph. For the gym for 1.5-2hrs I usually am told 600-800calories by MFP and more by my heart rate monitor or fitness band.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Compendium of physical activities also lists mets and has an equation for correcting met values in certain situations... and MFP sedentary is 1.25 as opposed to 1.2 for the subtraction... and it still doesn't change anything about the advice given above which is basically... solid! :smiley:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Compendium of physical activities also lists mets and has an equation for correcting met values in certain situations... and MFP sedentary is 1.25 as opposed to 1.2 for the subtraction... and it still doesn't change anything about the advice given above which is basically... solid! :smiley:

Thanks for correcting the number.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't log chores. If map my walk wasn't synced with mfp none of my exercise would be logged. As a personal preference, I don't like the error rate of over calculated calorie burn so I just don't chance it.

That being said, my job has me walking. All day. 10 hours... And I'm lightly active.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've never logged housework. I've been on a cleaning rampage all day, my fitbit picked up any extra steps that i may have done, and I'll leave it at that.
    My legs and back ache, as they have always done when i do a big cleanout. I think charging extra calories above what the sedentary setting here already gives me is clutching at straws..
  • missmince
    missmince Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't think most housework burns a lot of calories, but it definitely feels fatiguing. It might be because you use your upper body and core muscles a lot more than usual, and they often aren't very strong. I find all the bending and lifting much more tiring than, say, a five mile walk. Of course, I don't log it the same way. I don't think a heart rate monitor is much use for housecleaning, since upper body work raises the heart rate more, proportionally to calories burned, than lower body.

That said, I'm still upping my activity level to lightly active for summer due to indoor renovation projects and gardening. Also, I've noticed I don't eat very much when I spend loads of time doing housework, so fewer calories probably add to fatigue. I think that's true for a lot of people, when they are trying to get the chores over with and don't want to stop to eat (and clean that up, too.)
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Well done on getting your home in order!

In terms of now treating yourself - I wouldn't go much further than a biscuit/cookie or two - 200 cals max, but probably just 100. Most of the calorie burn in excercise is moving your body weight around....so the fact you were seated means the calorie use will be fairly limited even if the movement was unfamiliar and so tiring.

I would suggest you take MFP (and calorie burn monitors) with a pinch of salt. Mfp figures very much overestimate and also do not encourage you to allow for the fact your body would have used up a whole chunk of those calories anyway by just being... (In my case roughly 100 an hour).

Clearing up is a chore that can make me grumpy and tired, but I would be concermed about my heart fitness and my flexibility and muscle strength if it stretched me physically.

Do you need to move more in your every day life?? Being sedentry is so bad for the heart.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it since this type of activity would be assumed for everyone, including those with a MFP "sedentary" setting.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Can I get an estimate? I was seated most of the time, but sorting clothes, sweeping the floor around beds, sorting toys, moving laundry bags around and doing laundry (so a tiny bit of walking but not much) for 5-6hrs. Myfitnesspal says 600-700 calories for 4hrs but it seems a bit over the top to me so I was wondering if anyone has a better calorie estimator. I'm 5'4" 180lbs and 27 years old.

The database entries for light cleaning and food preparation simply reflect the MET value of that work. It's a low number, in the range of 3 or so, but it's a real number of some effort expended above the sedentary act of sitting.

I speak as one who logs 8 hours a day of "standing at desk, working", a MET 2 exercise which burns 348 calories. I eat back those calories and continue losing weight steadily.

That one advises you to only log the breathless, sweaty, intense, deliberate MET 6 or higher exercises is just arbitrary.