Calories burned cleaning (light effort) for five or six hours?

Options

Replies

• laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't log it, however, I had to rent a carpet cleaner yesterday and steam clean my entire house (thank you to my dog) and was considering logging that because I was pushing that heavy machine around the house for about three hours, and felt like I was at the gym all day. However, I realized that even set at sedentary, I probably only used as much energy as I normally do vacuuming which I do every two days so I figured why blow my calorie budget for the day just because I assumed I burned a few extra calories.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I personally wouldn't log it, however, I had to rent a carpet cleaner yesterday and steam clean my entire house (thank you to my dog) and was considering logging that because I was pushing that heavy machine around the house for about three hours, and felt like I was at the gym all day. However, I realized that even set at sedentary, I probably only used as much energy as I normally do vacuuming which I do every two days so I figured why blow my calorie budget for the day just because I assumed I burned a few extra calories.

Yeah that's the difference though you said you do something similar everyday. I definitely do not do anything similar. I am sure I used as much energy if not more than when I go to the gym. I said I was seated most of six hrs and people are not thinking that means I could have walked for a full hour or two hours and still four hours of sitting is most of the time. I keep my calories at my BMR pretty much and add on any activity. My activity level is the bare minimum before I add anything in my diary. I manually adjust it. I do not use MFP settings.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

Yeah that's the difference though you said you do something similar everyday. I definitely do not do anything similar. I am sure I used as much energy if not more than when I go to the gym. I said I was seated most of six hrs and people are not thinking that means I could have walked for a full hour or two hours and still four hours of sitting is most of the time. I keep my calories at my BMR pretty much and add on any activity. My activity level is the bare minimum before I add anything in my diary. I manually adjust it. I do not use MFP settings.

Well I guess the way I look at it is, If you log it I wouldn't eat back any exercise calories for it. I didn't log mine even though it felt like way more than I normally do, but if I happened to burn extra calories then great! I just didn't over eat. If you arent eating back your exercise calories I dont see a problem logging it.
  • jennyhart200
    jennyhart200 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I log activity if it is way above and beyond the activity level that I have set in MFP. One thing to note is that your set activity level is an average of your activities. The days that you are not getting as much normal activity should balance the ones where you do slightly more. When I was cleaning my house to prepare for company coming over, I only logged calories when I was mopping my floors as I was sweating while doing it. The rest of the time while I was wiping counters off, doing laundry, picking things up, I didn't log. You are right in the fact that you know your body better than anyone else here. Try logging it for today and eating those calories back. If you are still happy with the weight that you are losing, then obviously it is okay for you to do so and you can do it again. If logging it and eating those calories back stalls you from losing weight, then don't do it again. Weight loss is a long process and sometimes you have to experiment with these sort of things because our bodies are not all the same.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Can I get an estimate? I was seated most of the time, but sorting clothes, sweeping the floor around beds, sorting toys, moving laundry bags around and doing laundry (so a tiny bit of walking but not much) for 5-6hrs. Myfitnesspal says 600-700 calories for 4hrs but it seems a bit over the top to me so I was wondering if anyone has a better calorie estimator. I'm 5'4" 180lbs and 27 years old.
    How so? I was sweaty and exhausted by the time I was done. It was 5-6hrs of moving way more than normal.

You were sitting down most of the time, but sweaty and exhausted?

Chores are part of your activity level, you shouldn't enter them separately if your goal is to lose weight. And in terms of activity level, mostly sitting down for 4 hours probably counts as sedentary.