Calories burned cleaning (light effort) for five or six hours?

Options

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Most of 6hrs is more than half. More than 3 hrs. Meaning I may have walked a total of 2hrs or more.
    Considering I've been losing 2+lb per week consistently I'm pretty sure I know my body. I definitely should log six hours of work.

People have a natural tendency to overestimate their exercise, which is one reason people hesitate to log things. I wouldn't "definitely" log 2 hours of walking as 6 hours. But it's an individual choice.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out in response to an earlier post that using a rowing machine at the gym is seated activity. I still log it, and for good reason!

You don't need to be on your feet to increase your calorific expenditure.

I've used a rowing machine before, and i couldn't compare the exertion of that to light housework.
    Makes the point though, doesn't it. Not logging anything sitting down is a very broadbrush approach.

I don't know... Doing laundry or vacuuming/mopping and picking up toys etc etc doesn't have the same exhausting effect and muscle soreness that doing a full on workout on a rowing machine has, on me at least.

I'd be paranoid trusting a calorie burn number from cooking or cleaning, i don't do sprints or cartwheels through my kitchen or house when i'm doing housework. I wouldn't even begin to guess how much i burned, i just see it as a possible added bonus.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your health recovery
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Why do you log exercise if you have a fitbit?
  • Christine_72
    Options

I was wondering the same thing.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out in response to an earlier post that using a rowing machine at the gym is seated activity. I still log it, and for good reason!

I've used a rowing machine before, and i couldn't compare the exertion of that to light housework.
    Makes the point though, doesn't it. Not logging anything sitting down is a very broadbrush approach.

I don't know... Doing laundry or vacuuming/mopping and picking up toys etc etc doesn't have the same exhausting effect and muscle soreness that doing a full on workout on a rowing machine has, on me at least.

I'd be paranoid trusting a calorie burn number from cooking or cleaning, i don't do sprints or cartwheels through my kitchen or house when i'm doing housework. I wouldn't even begin to guess how much i burned, i just see it as a possible added bonus.
    *shrugs*
    In my case I have it on lightly active or active, so housework is already covered, even taking into account the fact I do it in deliberately energy-intensive ways. So this isn't an issue for me.

However, it is an issue for me if I see a hasty generalisation on the internet just before I go to bed... ;) In this thread, it was about whether you should ever log seated activity at all. In the next thread, it'll be something else.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options

I LOVE rowing machines... fun and work a lot of parts of your body at once! yes this is very true - it burns calories.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Cleaning is normal part of life. Anything that is a normal part of life is not worth logging.

Cleaning for 30 mins or an hr or maybe even 2 is normal. Cleaning for 6 hrs a day is not "normal"... it's obsessive compulsive disorder. (Which I have btw and I still don't clean for 6 hrs a day without stopping every single day).

Oh man, my house would be so clean if I cleaned for 6 hours a day! I'm talking toothbrush around the baseboards clean :lol:

Haha. Mine would probably still be a wreck. These kids are terrors lol My 2 and 5 year olds are totally nonverbal and delayed.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Most of 6hrs is more than half. More than 3 hrs. Meaning I may have walked a total of 2hrs or more.
    Considering I've been losing 2+lb per week consistently I'm pretty sure I know my body. I definitely should log six hours of work.

People have a natural tendency to overestimate their exercise, which is one reason people hesitate to log things. I wouldn't "definitely" log 2 hours of walking as 6 hours. But it's an individual choice.

You're missing the point. I'm saying I should log SOMETHING. 2 hrs of walking = up to 1000 calories burned for me. My Fitbit estimates I burn 400-500per hr walking. And I have used it when walking over 2 hrs multiple times a week and it worked out perfectly for how much I lost. Now I would log lower for housework because I cant guarantee how much I walked but my step counter told me I walked 6000-8000 steps between there (Im not sure which part was a very short walk I took outside to my parents and which inside but my total was around 9000 steps or over after cleaning + the short walk alone).
  • Verity1111
    Options
    You should log whatever feels right to you! Moving this huge body around for 5 hours doing housework is for SURE a workout! You know your body, your usual activity, and what gets your heart pumping. Nice job and keep up the great work :)

Thank you! and Yay for gamers!
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options

Maybe my idea of light is different than most people. Then again I can easily do 4-6hrs at a gym and I consider 4 hrs of exercise moderate and 2 hrs light. I usually do 2+ hrs at the gym when I go and I log it as light exercise.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    However, it is an issue for me if I see a hasty generalisation on the internet just before I go to bed... ;) In this thread, it was about whether you should ever log seated activity at all. In the next thread, it'll be something else.

That's a strawman. Nobody said "don't ever log anything you do while seated." That would be insane. It would rule out cycling and many weight machines. What people actually advised in this thread is split, with many people saying that cleaning falls under activity level and not exercise. A few people offered the observation that it might not have been particularly intense if it was done seated, which is entirely different from laying down a blanket rule meant to apply to everything.

Seated-Chest-Press-Machine.gif
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options

This is true it is not as exhausting. But then if you do 1hr of something intense vs 5+ hrs of something light youd assume eventually the calories would match up. I dont trust the calculator lol I agree on that too. it said 600-700 for 4 hrs I logged 350 for 6hrs.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options

That's a strawman. Nobody said "don't ever log anything you do while seated." That would be insane. It would rule out cycling and many weight machines. What people actually advised in this thread is split, with many people saying that cleaning falls under activity level and not exercise. A few people offered the observation that it might not have been particularly intense if it was done seated, which is entirely different from laying down a blanket rule meant to apply to everything.

Yeah, I think you're right. I'm squashing different posts together in my head to make an overarching point that... wasn't made.

Sorry.

I'll go pick an argument somewhere else. ;)
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options

It cant fall under activity level if you dont use your true activity level on MFP or let it decide for you and you eat under your BMR at a level you chose (1200 in my case). That's what people were also ignoring.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options

I dont always wear it. I forgot I even wore it this time. With that said, my Fitbit thinks I burned 1500 calories in those 6 hrs. A total of 3000 for the day. Im going to assume that's a bit off. I always trust it for walking - it has always been VERY accurate for me. But for cleaning 1500 calories seems extremely high. This is because of how high my heart rate was.
  • Christine_72
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Why are you eating under your BMR? Why not set mfp to sedentary?

Sorry, i have more questions than answers for you.