Do you think it's body shaming...

Options
glassyo
glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
If a person makes a joke that she thinks someone (who she doesn't know and has only seen pictures of) should eat a cheeseburger or two or is the person taking offense being too sensitive?

Asking for a friend. :)

Replies

• glassyo
    Options
    LOL. I'm female and was actually told to eat a burrito because I ended up a little under weight and I didn't take it as body shaming!

(OK, these people were coming at me more for health reasons but still!)
  • mechell007
    mechell007 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I sure as heck wouldn't tell someone to eat a salad because they need to lose weight, just as I wouldn't push a donut on someone and insist they need to gain. I trust that they know their bodies better than I. That said, shaming is in the intent, it depends on how they meant it.
  • glassyo
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    LOL. I'm female and was actually told to eat a burrito because I ended up a little under weight and I didn't take it as body shaming!

(OK, these people were coming at me more for health reasons but still!)

was it a dude that told you to eat a burrito?

Two dudes and a dudette. My boss, his girl friend, and their neighbor (who's also a client so I see him once or twice a year).
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I've been on the thin side before and honestly comments about (me) needing to eat more or having people bring me food or specially making me food is weird, awkward and uncomfortable.

Definitely felt shame and singled out to the point where I would wear three shirts/sweaters and two pairs of pants for awhile.

I knew I was skinny and I felt disgusting for it.
  • tsortsor
    tsortsor Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    U look in good shape but u hide half your pic
  • glassyo
    Options
    mechell007 wrote: »
    I sure as heck wouldn't tell someone to eat a salad because they need to lose weight, just as I wouldn't push a donut on someone and insist they need to gain. I trust that they know their bodies better than I. That said, shaming is in the intent, it depends on how they meant it.

It was just a joke. I mean, I do think she's too skinny but I'm fairly certain she'll never find out what I said since nobody who would have read the comment or taken offense even knows her. Which, I know, doesn't make it right. :)

I just think being called out on this being body shaming was a bit too much.

Actually, I just looked up the definition and I don't think it came anywhere close to body shaming.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    tsortsor wrote: »
    U look in good shape but u hide half your pic

lol...some sense of anonymity - isn't that what you are going for?
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I mean, if it was flipped and people said she should lay off the burgers there would be an issue. People care about fat shaming and less about fit shaming.

• JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    Just a joke, don't be so sensitive
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Since it wasn't said to her face, it can't be body shaming. The most that can be said is it was a little thoughtless - many people don't realize that skinny people might also feel critical of their bodies.
  • iamunicoon
    iamunicoon Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I think there's a general culture that's grown over the years where people have learned to be conscious of not shaming big people for their size but "we" find it totally acceptable to crack jokes about skinny people. It's even in small things like that joke you made or when people cheer for Adele cracking jokes at thinner female artists' expense because hey, she's the big girl, she deserves that.

Personally, I don't think that's okay, no matter which way. I wouldn't get super butthurt over it, even if I was in her place and didn't even know who you are. But it's still not a nice thing to say.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Nah. It's just a joke.
    But God forbid you tell someone they don't need to eat that. Then it's Spanish Inquisition
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on who those people are. And how it is said.
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Were there any positive things said? Or was it just a roast session. Sounds like a roast session. Then again celebrity roasts all contain jokes but atleast that person is there to laugh at em.

My guess is that the people talking about the individual eat all the burgers:)jk
  • Sera515
    Sera515 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's hard to know someone's actual intent. Perhaps it was body shaming or maybe they are just concerned about your health. You really can't know unless they said it and then laughed.

All you can do is just shake it off. Don't give anyone the satisfaction of getting to you.
  • bufnitzoiu
    bufnitzoiu Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I think some peoaple are too sensitive...
  • BreezyPeezy5
    BreezyPeezy5 Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's a smart remark and I would take a bit of offense to it if I didn't know the person well or knew of their intentions. If I tell someone big not to eat too much, it would be rude too. Friends saying that to each other may be ok but to not know someone and say that is a bit mean.
  • relynne
    relynne Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's body shaming necessarily, but I will never understand why people can't just mind their own business. Why does it matter to you what she looks like or what she eats or doesn't eat?