Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Finding time to Exercise

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I'd be risking death or at least serious bodily injury if I tried to bike to work.
    Same here. In addition, it would take me over 3 hours (one way) to bike to work.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Saying true things to answer the question the thread is based on amounts to being smug?

i thought so, but it hardly seems worthwhile to taxonomize why if you're not bothered by the poster's approach. i thought i'd pretty much covered what i thought might have been going on already, so yeah.

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I used to commute by bike, until my company moved its office. I can't ride 18 miles and be here at 7 am.

Sadly, I drive now. Not only am I risking life and limb (I have to carry liability insurance, it's so risky) but I have a very unpleasant time being stuck in traffic. In a good day it takes 30 minutes, on a bad day it can take 90. Then I still need to exercise. Bikes commuting was a a good use of time in the "two birds one stone" sense, and bones don't get caught in traffic, so I always knew what time I'd be home, which allowed me to make plans.

Great option for people who can take advantage. I wish I was still one.

The mortality rate per mile is much, MUCH higher by bike than car. Mostly of that from getting hit by a car with basically zero protection. You needing to carry insurance as a motorist is driven by liability for property damage or injury if you hit someone while driving that isn't required as a bicyclist.

Unless you moved from a very short commute that was on protected bike paths to a long driving commute, your chance of mortality is going to lower as a motorist.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I used to commute by bike, until my company moved its office. I can't ride 18 miles and be here at 7 am.

Sadly, I drive now. Not only am I risking life and limb (I have to carry liability insurance, it's so risky) but I have a very unpleasant time being stuck in traffic. In a good day it takes 30 minutes, on a bad day it can take 90. Then I still need to exercise. Bikes commuting was a a good use of time in the "two birds one stone" sense, and bones don't get caught in traffic, so I always knew what time I'd be home, which allowed me to make plans.

The mortality rate per mile is much, MUCH higher by bike than car. Mostly of that from getting hit by a car with basically zero protection. You needing to carry insurance as a motorist is driven by liability for property damage or injury if you hit someone while driving that isn't required as a bicyclist.

Unless you moved from a very short commute that was on protected bike paths to a long driving commute, your chance of mortality is going to lower as a motorist.

a 90 minute 20 mile commute generally is riskier than biking 3 miles.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Which is exactly what @The_Enginerd said?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

The mortality rate per mile is much, MUCH higher by bike than car.

You can't possibly know whether that's true or not because there is not reliable and accurate data to say how many miles people ride.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »

Yeah and what you thought was going on is so far from reality. [/quote]

sure, fair enough.
    You got from text that I possibly live in an environment where I'm a poster child or expect to get my butt kissed?

i got it from your claim to be sincerely baffled at the 'hostility'. so yeah; from text. i don't have to have been right, but it did occur to me as a possible explanation for why you were apparently surprised to find people unfriendly to your presentation of things. it did seem to me like you were expecting a different kind of reception, since you pretty much said you weren't understanding the one that you got.

to be honest, i gathered this thread was a spin-off of something. but nope, i didn't realise that the something was an individual and personal thing between you and some other specific individual person(s). probably some of the other people you found hostile weren't clued up either although about that i don't know.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I am now lucky enough to have been able to leave my career and pursue my graduate degree full time, so I now have a lot of time to devote to working out. I used to work 12-16 hour shifts as an oil worker. So I had to get really creative on my workouts.

My favorite busy working mom workouts:
    1. Combination body weight squat and calf raises putting away dishes
    2. Weird half salsa half random wiggle dancing while cooking.
    3. Picking up toys straight leg deadlifts
    4. Hanging up clothes alternating deltoid raises
    5. Jogging in place while helping with homework
    6. Grocery curls. Yes I would walk around shopping doing milk gallon curls and alternate every 10 reps.
    7. Standing in line calf raises. I'm going to be there for a while waiting on the old lady to find her coupons and checkbook.
    8. Standing in line tricep extensions. Did those with canned goods.
    9. Adductor and abductors while standing (either in line somewhere or while cooking dinner)

So it's not complete workouts, but when crunched for time; even a little bit extra pays off in the long run.