Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Finding time to Exercise

Options

Replies

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    @walking4me2day I do most of my internet reading and phone calls while I'm walking, I'm walking right now as I'm typing this. Kills 2 birds with one stone.

I very often save the big 30+ page mfp threads for when I'm walking. It makes the time fly and i don't get bored!

@Christine_72 I do the same thing! Except the workout is weight-lifting and I use the loooong threads to help me get adequate rest in between sets. Otherwise I rush them. :smiley:

Haha Good thinking!

I often skim read the long threads when I'm sitting infront of the computer, but i read every post when I'm walking, as i make a deal with myself that i can't stop until I've read the entiiiirrre thread.. It's a decision I've regretted a few times when I'm hanging for that last page to come, and then realise there's still 10 more to go :weary:

People here talk too much :lol:

It's a great idea... if you have a smart phone and a data plan. ;)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    @walking4me2day I do most of my internet reading and phone calls while I'm walking, I'm walking right now as I'm typing this. Kills 2 birds with one stone.

I very often save the big 30+ page mfp threads for when I'm walking. It makes the time fly and i don't get bored!

@Christine_72 I do the same thing! Except the workout is weight-lifting and I use the loooong threads to help me get adequate rest in between sets. Otherwise I rush them. :smiley:

Haha Good thinking!

I often skim read the long threads when I'm sitting infront of the computer, but i read every post when I'm walking, as i make a deal with myself that i can't stop until I've read the entiiiirrre thread.. It's a decision I've regretted a few times when I'm hanging for that last page to come, and then realise there's still 10 more to go :weary:

Or Wi-Fi. But this is 2017.
  • clicketykeys
    Options

Haha Good thinking!

WiFi depends on where you're walking. If I'm at the gym, I can connect to theirs. If I go for a walk in my neighborhood, or at the park, I don't have that option. (I have an old iPhone that's no longer on a plan.)

Walmart is a great place to walk if you're not too serious about speed. I think they'd frown on jogging, at least.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

Haha Good thinking!

WiFi depends on where you're walking. If I'm at the gym, I can connect to theirs. If I go for a walk in my neighborhood, or at the park, I don't have that option. (I have an old iPhone that's no longer on a plan.)

Walmart is a great place to walk if you're not too serious about speed. I think they'd frown on jogging, at least.

You'd be surprised... I've seen People of Wal-Mart. :laugh:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    For me, it's not about finding time, it's about having to take that time away from other things. I had hoped to get back to practicing piano this summer. Maybe do some writing. Those are things I haven't had time for because I've spent it at work or play practice, visiting family or friends, or meal prepping or at the gym. There's not enough time for everything.

This is definitely true. I'm lucky that most of my friends love hiking, so we can use the same block of time to socialize, experience natural beauty, and gay some exercise.

...And you all have a gay ol time :tongue: :wink:

Lol. Thanks, Swype. :smile:
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    MJ2victory wrote: »
    A lot changed for me when I started seeing exercise as self-care. I'm an emotional eater. There's nothing that gives me the happiness that a truly decadent food does... so at the urging of my therapist I started putting more focus into self-care. At first I thought it meant things like bubble baths or a manicure but I slowly realized that it was anything that I do just for myself that improves my life. Now it feels like a treat. "Me time" to really pamper myself.

Bravo Zulu!

This is one of the most important switches that have to flip for one to be successful. Taking care of yourself and committing time for exercise is on everyone's top 10 list of successful habits.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I thought exercise would eat up my "me-time". I thought I would rush there and hope to rush out, because - let's face it, it is exhausting. But then I watched my busy mind calm down during a set of biceps training. I just sat on the bench and watched my muscle move. The world did not stop turning, but nothing else mattered. And I realized, this is "me-time". I can wind down my brain, doing this. As my work is a brain work and even most of my other hobbies are brain things, this is what actually really gives me a break. And after it I have to have a shower - another chance to pamper my body and ease my mind.

I feel so light exiting the gym, even when getting there felt so hard after a long day.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand the hostility.

i would say that it's because in your earlier post just up-thread from this, you set yourself up for it. "Most people find the time to watch TV or sit at their computers/on their phone for hours a day but claim not to have time to exercise".

that's seriously me-against-them, so it seems disingenuous to me to pretend that you don't know where the hostility comes from. idk, maybe your real-world environment rewards you by making a poster-child or some kind out of you, so you really didn't expect to get your butt anything but kissed.

but i guess the thing to take away out of this is that not everyone in the world defines things by those kinds of black-and-white rules. i'm saying this because i can think of a couple of ways in which if i wanted to, i could probably allow my own community to award me the same kind of prize. i actually experience people occasionally trying to shape me into that kind of narrative.

so i recognise it and if you have been elected to that kind of pedestal then i kind of empathize with the shock that you feel. but at the same time i don't really empathize because at bottom you really do come across like you're hoisting yourself onto some kind of high horse at the expense of others.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand the hostility.

i would say that it's because in your earlier post just up-thread from this, you set yourself up for it. "Most people find the time to watch TV or sit at their computers/on their phone for hours a day but claim not to have time to exercise".

Obligatory disclaimer: Haven't read the thread through again.

He's not wrong, though. Americans spend more time watching TV than all other leisure activities combined.

waabz68dda0i.png
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    He's not wrong, though.

sure. wasn't a comment about the factual wrongness though. was a comment about the smugness/disparaging tone.

• NorthCascades
    Options
    Saying true things to answer the question the thread is based on amounts to being smug?
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Somebody in the exercise forum just mentioned bike commuting as an excellent way to use time and get exercise. :smile:
  • clicketykeys
    Options
    I'd be risking death or at least serious bodily injury if I tried to bike to work.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Somebody in the exercise forum just mentioned bike commuting as an excellent way to use time and get exercise. :smile:

Bike commuting is a really easy way to add in exercise without time if you can do it. It works great for me in the summer. As I said upthread, anything where you can combine working out and commuting is great -- I'm super lucky because I can bike or, if weather does not permit or I'm working too late or it's winter (I don't like biking when it's dark), I can run home, which I often do. I can also just walk part way.

Not everyone has these options, so I am aware that I am fortunate (and that I've made some tradeoffs).
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I used to commute by bike, until my company moved its office. I can't ride 18 miles and be here at 7 am.

Sadly, I drive now. Not only am I risking life and limb (I have to carry liability insurance, it's so risky) but I have a very unpleasant time being stuck in traffic. In a good day it takes 30 minutes, on a bad day it can take 90. Then I still need to exercise. Bikes commuting was a a good use of time in the "two birds one stone" sense, and bones don't get caught in traffic, so I always knew what time I'd be home, which allowed me to make plans.

Great option for people who can take advantage. I wish I was still one.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Oh same here. I used to have a safe commute that allowed me to utilize a converted rail line. My current location forces me to commute by car ~1.5 hrs/day.

I've had my team telecommute a minimum of 1 day/week for years and have trained everyone to use good judgement. If you need to be in the office - do so. If not - work from home. Whatever is more efficient and effective. This also requires increased communication and alignment.

Good timing. Our HR team just launched an initiative for everyone to walk 120 mi over the next 3 months.