Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Finding time to Exercise

Replies

• heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Maxematics wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

Good to know that you aren't judging by defining people who exercise one or two hours each day as not having active lives, and that you haven made any assumption that they don't enjoy exercise either.

I'd love to have as much free time to do the activities I love as you have to do yours. Unfortunately, I have responsibilities that have to come first. I'll be very happy if after all the chores are done today, I get two hours to go cycling. Because that's more free time than I usually get.

It didn't seem at all to me @Maxematics was judging anyone. They were just talking about their choices. It does seem as though you're picking apart their posts and lifestyle because you're frustrated about yours. Sorry you don't have as much free time as you wish, but there's no reason to take that out on someone else.

Thanks. I don't get the free time comments either. I've stated so many times that I don't walk to and from work every day yet it's emphasized that I exercise for three hours every day when I don't. I do an hour workout five days a week. My steps come from longer walks and day to day life. I have a full time job in which I'm on my feet most of the day, I have family members to take care of, errands to run daily, housework to do. All of this is part of one's activity level, yet I'm perceived to have this crazy amount of free time because I burn off more calories than the average person my size due to my lifestyle and therefore have a higher calorie allowance. I honestly don't understand the hostility.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I have a full time job and two toddlers. Free time is certainly not something I have a lot of. I still average just under 20,000 steps/day. Making the time to do that is a choice (and, to some degree, the result of a semi-active job and happenstance like my parking spot being clear across campus from my office). I prioritize taking my kids to the park. My husband and I like to go for walks. I chase kids a lot.

Not everyone can (or even wants to) make those choices, but there's no need to attack those who can.

A lot of people spend upward of an hour a day commuting each way to a job that involves spending hours in meetings and the rest of that time trying to do the work that gets talked about in meetings. There went 12 hours of my day already. Inside the other 12, everything else has to happen. There are only 24 in a day, after all. Out of the 12 that are not part of either being at work or getting there and back, there's everything else: do the yard work, do the laundry, cook, clean up, do the grocery shopping, take a shower twice a day (after all the sweaty stuff, and before work), eat dinner, find time to exercise, my other activities like photography, have some sort of a social life, and sleep.

That whole thing about how people find the time to watch television 3 hours a day and that's why they're not out walking 8 miles a day? I guess it's easier to think that.
  • heiliskrimsli
    Francl27 wrote: »

Good to know that you aren't judging by defining people who exercise one or two hours each day as not having active lives, and that you haven made any assumption that they don't enjoy exercise either.

I'd love to have as much free time to do the activities I love as you have to do yours. Unfortunately, I have responsibilities that have to come first. I'll be very happy if after all the chores are done today, I get two hours to go cycling. Because that's more free time than I usually get.

It didn't seem at all to me @Maxematics was judging anyone. They were just talking about their choices. It does seem as though you're picking apart their posts and lifestyle because you're frustrated about yours. Sorry you don't have as much free time as you wish, but there's no reason to take that out on someone else.

Thanks. I don't get the free time comments either. I've stated so many times that I don't walk to and from work every day yet it's emphasized that I exercise for three hours every day when I don't. I do an hour workout five days a week. My steps come from longer walks and day to day life. I have a full time job in which I'm on my feet most of the day, I have family members to take care of, errands to run daily, housework to do. All of this is part of one's activity level, yet I'm perceived to have this crazy amount of free time because I burn off more calories than the average person my size due to my lifestyle and therefore have a higher calorie allowance. I honestly don't understand the hostility.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I have a full time job and two toddlers. Free time is certainly not something I have a lot of. I still average just under 20,000 steps/day. Making the time to do that is a choice (and, to some degree, the result of a semi-active job and happenstance like my parking spot being clear across campus from my office). I prioritize taking my kids to the park. My husband and I like to go for walks. I chase kids a lot.

Not everyone can (or even wants to) make those choices, but there's no need to attack those who can.

A lot of people spend upward of an hour a day commuting each way to a job that involves spending hours in meetings and the rest of that time trying to do the work that gets talked about in meetings. There went 12 hours of my day already. Inside the other 12, everything else has to happen. There are only 24 in a day, after all. Out of the 12 that are not part of either being at work or getting there and back, there's everything else: do the yard work, do the laundry, cook, clean up, do the grocery shopping, take a shower twice a day (after all the sweaty stuff, and before work), eat dinner, find time to exercise, my other activities like photography, have some sort of a social life, and sleep.

That whole thing about how people find the time to watch television 3 hours a day and that's why they're not out walking 8 miles a day? I guess it's easier to think that.

People don't realize what a difference a semi active versus sedentary job makes. You can do 8k step in a 6 hour shift in a fast food place, for example... that's still 8k more than someone who works 6 hours at a computer. So yeah... saying 'I have a job but still have 20k step a day' when you're on your feet at your job is not a very fair comparison. It IS hard for some people to get even 10k steps. I mean, a lazy day at home for me would be around 5000-7000 steps (doing those tasks like laundry, cooking, cleaning), but that's 16 hours at home (when not sleeping) and not spending 8 hours sitting at a desk...

That being said, there are a lot of people who watch 2 hours of television at night, and they *could* exercise at the same time if they really wanted it (like my husband. But he chose to put the exercise bike in the basement instead of spending those 2 hours on it). Or even that hour spent browsing Facebook or these forums... people could be going for a walk instead. It's still about choice. Like I choose to go for a walk instead of stitching/reading/playing video games (although obviously sometimes there isn't much of a choice if you have kids at home and/or are disabled).

Eight hours at a desk would be a short day for me. It's usually closer to ten. I still usually walk about 4 miles a day in addition to whatever other exercise I do.

My contention was at the "some of us prefer to have an active lifestyle" way that it was put. I have to make time to have an active lifestyle because I'm not working in the kind of job where I walk around all day (like serving food). Choosing to do one thing means something else has to go. At this point, there's nothing else I can just cut out and not end up with over-training problems. But the idea that the line between an "active lifestyle" is 20,000 daily steps / 8 miles of walking is a little far fetched.

When I think of people with an active lifestyle, I consider more than how many steps a day they take, because otherwise pretty much every white-collar office worker in the world cannot possibly have an active lifestyle - no matter how many marathons they run or centuries they ride - because they're not walking 8 miles a day and also going to the gym for another hour.
  • heiliskrimsli

People don't realize what a difference a semi active versus sedentary job makes. You can do 8k step in a 6 hour shift in a fast food place, for example... that's still 8k more than someone who works 6 hours at a computer. So yeah... saying 'I have a job but still have 20k step a day' when you're on your feet at your job is not a very fair comparison. It IS hard for some people to get even 10k steps. I mean, a lazy day at home for me would be around 5000-7000 steps (doing those tasks like laundry, cooking, cleaning), but that's 16 hours at home (when not sleeping) and not spending 8 hours sitting at a desk...

That being said, there are a lot of people who watch 2 hours of television at night, and they *could* exercise at the same time if they really wanted it (like my husband. But he chose to put the exercise bike in the basement instead of spending those 2 hours on it). Or even that hour spent browsing Facebook or these forums... people could be going for a walk instead. It's still about choice. Like I choose to go for a walk instead of stitching/reading/playing video games (although obviously sometimes there isn't much of a choice if you have kids at home and/or are disabled).

Eight hours at a desk would be a short day for me. It's usually closer to ten. I still usually walk about 4 miles a day in addition to whatever other exercise I do.

My contention was at the "some of us prefer to have an active lifestyle" way that it was put. I have to make time to have an active lifestyle because I'm not working in the kind of job where I walk around all day (like serving food). Choosing to do one thing means something else has to go. At this point, there's nothing else I can just cut out and not end up with over-training problems. But the idea that the line between an "active lifestyle" is 20,000 daily steps / 8 miles of walking is a little far fetched.

When I think of people with an active lifestyle, I consider more than how many steps a day they take, because otherwise pretty much every white-collar office worker in the world cannot possibly have an active lifestyle - no matter how many marathons they run or centuries they ride - because they're not walking 8 miles a day and also going to the gym for another hour.

For me an active lifestyle is being on your feet most of the time when you're not working, pretty much. I'd say that steps are a pretty big part of that. It's the difference between someone spending their free time walking/exercising/doing chores and someone spending most of those 'free' hours reading or watching tv.

Only steps-based activity counts as activity?

When I said "Active", I meant that with regard to the guidelines used by many sites, including MFP. Sedentary, Lightly Active, Active, Very Active, etc. I did not mean that anyone who does not do everything that I do isn't active at all and does absolutely nothing with themselves. According to those guidelines, I would be Active to Very Active in my day-to-day life. Recognizing that most people do not get that amount of steps or even exercise, they'd be considered Sedentary to Lightly Active.

I think defining activity in terms of steps ignores that there is a lot of activity that isn't based on steps at all. Rowing isn't steps. Cycling isn't steps. Swimming isn't steps. Martial arts aren't steps.

The obsession with steps, and defining a lifestyle as active vs. inactive based upon nothing other than steps is ridiculous.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited May 2017

I'm someone who does have time, being a homeschooling SAHM, but that doesn't mean I judge people who chose to spend their time (however much they have or don't) differently. My current Fitbit running total shows me averaging around 22K a day. I also do shred workouts.

That aside, I fail to see how the OP's initial post in any way was meant to do anything but help the OP, in spite of the direction this thread went in.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Ah yes, I should have added, my steps are generally low but I lift and do bodyweight HIIT/Tabata type stuff 3-6 days a week. So on the odd day I do walk 15-20k steps it's no issue as I'm fit enough for it.