Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Finding time to Exercise

Options
System
System Posts: 1,900 MFP Staff
This discussion was created from replies split from: Is my metabolism that screwed up?.

Replies

• heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    savithny wrote: »
    Actually, if the before picture is you, you might be able to maintain on fewer calories than the calculators suggest. Studies disagree about whether preserving lean mass helps prevent the "reduced obese" phenomenon, but it does exist - people who lost a lot of weight are found to burn fewer calories than people of the same (current) weight who were never obese.

But THAT much? I'm 5'3", 113 pounds, and I lose on 2000 calories. I truly think, depending on how long he's been at this, he's being impatient or highly underestimating his food intake. I'm leaning toward the latter even though he says he weighs everything in grams. Do you have cheat days?

Do you run a daily half marathon to get that kind of burn?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Actually, if the before picture is you, you might be able to maintain on fewer calories than the calculators suggest. Studies disagree about whether preserving lean mass helps prevent the "reduced obese" phenomenon, but it does exist - people who lost a lot of weight are found to burn fewer calories than people of the same (current) weight who were never obese.

But THAT much? I'm 5'3", 113 pounds, and I lose on 2000 calories. I truly think, depending on how long he's been at this, he's being impatient or highly underestimating his food intake. I'm leaning toward the latter even though he says he weighs everything in grams. Do you have cheat days?

She walks up to 20,000 steps and exercises up to an hour per day.
  • heiliskrimsli
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Thank you for this! Yes, that's what I usually do. I feel like people really underestimate the power of being active. They see exercise calories as a bad thing and think they have to eat so little to maintain their weight.

How long does it take you to walk 8 miles a day and do your additional hour of exercise?
  • RobBasss
    RobBasss Posts: 65 Member
    Options

I'm 5'3" and about 120 pounds and I regularly burn 2200-2300 calories a day. And that's being over 40 with a desk job.

Are you including BMR in that number? and I think I just found some ones :D
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Thank you for this! Yes, that's what I usually do. I feel like people really underestimate the power of being active. They see exercise calories as a bad thing and think they have to eat so little to maintain their weight.

Yay for exercise calories!

At 5'2", @WinoGelato is an inch shorter than you and maintains on 2200 calories because she's active. I find her story about how she gradually increased her activity level and was able to lose weight without deprivation inspirational.

I'm 4'11" and I maintain on 2000 a day, she is inspiring.
  • heiliskrimsli
    Options

How long does it take you to walk 8 miles a day and do your additional hour of exercise?

Well, the hour of exercise, I do that in the morning before work. I walk around 4 miles per hour and usually walk the 5 miles to and from work every day so that's another 2 hours. If I don't walk to and from work I still walk there from the train station that's 2 miles away. I'm also on my feet at work all day. I have a TDEE of 2400 calories on average.

Lots of people don't have three hours a day to devote to exercise. In fact, I would say most people who work full time, particularly in office jobs, do not have that kind of time. Also, based on your math, walking for 75 minutes (4 miles per hour, five miles takes 75 minutes, not 60) each way to and from work means you're spending more like 2.5 hours walking to and from, so we're up to 3.5 hours per day.

Do you consider your calorie burn typical and exercise for someone your size, or would you consider yourself unusual in that regard?

I work full time and have a busy life but I make the time. Most people find the time to watch TV or sit at their computers/on their phone for hours a day but claim not to have time to exercise. I also said I walk around 4mph. My average is slightly over that. I don't walk to and from work every day though.

Yes, I decided to give ballpark numbers and not exact amounts; my apologies. Some days my workouts are only 45 minutes. The distance from work is also a slight bit under 5 miles but it's easier to round.

Anyway, I definitely don't think my calorie burn and activity level are the average for my size. Most people aren't as active and that's okay. They drive everywhere and have desk jobs. They can lose their weight on 1200 to 1500. I prefer an active lifestyle. I'm no longer in the weight loss phase, rather, I'm trying not to be. However, in comparison to a man who is over 6 feet and over 200 pounds, as the OP is, my calorie burn is most likely less, which is why I found it odd that the OP isn't losing on that amount.

Do you think that anyone who spends less than three hours a day on exercise is simply lazy and sitting around doing nothing but watching television? That anyone who does less than you do is inactive or doesn't have an active lifestyle?

You really seem to be implying that anyone who doesn't spend as much time as you do exercising is simply lazily watching television all day.
  • heiliskrimsli
    Options

Well, the hour of exercise, I do that in the morning before work. I walk around 4 miles per hour and usually walk the 5 miles to and from work every day so that's another 2 hours. If I don't walk to and from work I still walk there from the train station that's 2 miles away. I'm also on my feet at work all day. I have a TDEE of 2400 calories on average.

Lots of people don't have three hours a day to devote to exercise. In fact, I would say most people who work full time, particularly in office jobs, do not have that kind of time. Also, based on your math, walking for 75 minutes (4 miles per hour, five miles takes 75 minutes, not 60) each way to and from work means you're spending more like 2.5 hours walking to and from, so we're up to 3.5 hours per day.

Do you consider your calorie burn typical and exercise for someone your size, or would you consider yourself unusual in that regard?

I work full time and have a busy life but I make the time. Most people find the time to watch TV or sit at their computers/on their phone for hours a day but claim not to have time to exercise. I also said I walk around 4mph. My average is slightly over that. I don't walk to and from work every day though.

Yes, I decided to give ballpark numbers and not exact amounts; my apologies. Some days my workouts are only 45 minutes. The distance from work is also a slight bit under 5 miles but it's easier to round.

Anyway, I definitely don't think my calorie burn and activity level are the average for my size. Most people aren't as active and that's okay. They drive everywhere and have desk jobs. They can lose their weight on 1200 to 1500. I prefer an active lifestyle. I'm no longer in the weight loss phase, rather, I'm trying not to be. However, in comparison to a man who is over 6 feet and over 200 pounds, as the OP is, my calorie burn is most likely less, which is why I found it odd that the OP isn't losing on that amount.

Do you think that anyone who spends less than three hours a day on exercise is simply lazy and sitting around doing nothing but watching television? That anyone who does less than you do is inactive or doesn't have an active lifestyle?

You really seem to be implying that anyone who doesn't spend as much time as you do exercising is simply lazily watching television all day.

No, I don't and I wasn't intending to imply such. My sister has MS and has no choice but to live a sedentary lifestyle so I don't automatically assume that people who are less active are lazy. The reason I framed my responses as such is because from your very first reply to me, you seemed to be trying to call me out on BS for my TDEE. I could be wrong in my interpretation of that though.

In further posts you seemed to want to delve more into my routine. I gave you approximations and you tried to pick them apart. First you stated that most people don't have time because they work full time, which could be taken as you implying I must not do so. That's why I commented back about those who claim they have no time but honestly just don't make the time. Let's face it, many people don't make exercise a priority.

I also said that I realize most people aren't as active and that's okay. I don't know how that implies I think anyone else is lazy or inactive or that anyone who does less than me isn't active. For as active as I am, there are many people twice as active as I am. For me, the walks I take aren't exercise. Sure I'm burning calories but I do it because I enjoy it, not because I consider it part of a three hour exercise routine. Walking is actually my time to destress after a hard day. I've stated several times that I don't even walk to and from work every day either.

I don't know what it was about my initial post that seemed to hit a sore spot for you but the only reason I mentioned losing on 2000 calories at my size was to give the OP some perspective that 2000 should be enough for him to lose given his stats. I didn't expect to derail his topic. My apologies, OP.

Good to know that you aren't judging by defining people who exercise one or two hours each day as not having active lives, and that you haven made any assumption that they don't enjoy exercise either.

I'd love to have as much free time to do the activities I love as you have to do yours. Unfortunately, I have responsibilities that have to come first. I'll be very happy if after all the chores are done today, I get two hours to go cycling. Because that's more free time than I usually get.