Possibly going vegetarian.

Options
freyaheart
freyaheart Posts: 220 Member
My sister in law is vegan and she has lost a lot of weight by just changing her eatting habits. I figure they make a veggie subsitute for just about everything so I think I will try it.

I don't know if I'll be able to do it on a perminnante basis but it wouldn't be a bad idea to change out meat for veggies right?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Try it out. If you like it, great. If you don't, at least you learned something.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I settled into Pescatarian from being all those things. Fish is healthy and most of the time, a very lean source of protein. It's a lot easier to get enough protein without turning to cheese and eggs, or over doing it on the tofu.

Just something to think about. =)

P.S. a lot of those veggie substitutes are highly processed and are suppose to be eaten in moderation.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    She probably lost a lot of lean muscle mass. Just keep that in mind when you seek out vegetarian protein sources.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Definitely give it a shot. Even just consuming less meat (especially red and pork) is not necessarily a bad thing.
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've experienced that people who go vegetarian just to lose weight usually fail. You need to have the heart and passion that animal rights activist usually have, or else you won't be able to resist bacon.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Definitely give it a shot. Even just consuming less meat (especially red and pork) is not necessarily a bad thing.

WTF??? Pork is one of the best meats to eat. Fish, Chicken and Pork FTW!!!!!!! Now red meat, yes you should consume less of that but you don't need to stop eating it, you just need to choose the right cuts.
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    WTF??? Pork is one of the best meats to eat. Fish, Chicken and Pork FTW!!!!!!! Now red meat, yes you should consume less of that but you don't need to stop eating it, you just need to choose the right cuts.

The right cuts being bacon, bacon.. and more bacon. Right?
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I went vegan in March of 2012. I have lost 121 pounds since then(and it is not 121 pounds of muscle that I lost, I assure you). It is a healthy way to live, but it does take some commitment. Society is not necessarily always welcoming, and it makes eating out more challenging. But it is worth it
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My sister in law is vegan and she has lost a lot of weight by just changing her eatting habits. I figure they make a veggie subsitute for just about everything so I think I will try it.

I don't know if I'll be able to do it on a perminnante basis but it wouldn't be a bad idea to change out meat for veggies right?
    You don't lose weight from becoming vegan or vegetarian. Potato chips are vegan. So is coconut ice cream, which has double the calories of regular ice cream.

You have to eat less, no matter what you eat.

I've been vegetarian for four years. Initially, I lost 6 pounds. And then I had to actually work for it.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I advocate being vegetarian, I myself am vegan but the truth of the matter is to lose weight a calorie deficit is the cause of weight loss.

Good luck
  • Alphastate
    Options
    I've experienced that people who go vegetarian just to lose weight usually fail. You need to have the heart and passion that animal rights activist usually have, or else you won't be able to resist bacon.
    I agree with half of this. Animal rights is further down the list of reasons I became a vegetarian. But yes, people who are trying it merely to lose weight, usually don't stick to it.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    My ex is vegetarian. I did the cooking. Making sure he got enough protein to support his workouts was a nightmare. Also, he had times where he was chubby and times where he was rail thin... It's not being vegetarian or vegan that makes you skinny, it's your food and portion choices.
  • Alphastate
    Options

Pork is in no way one of the best meats to eat. Best tasting? Maybe. And chicken? I'm the vegetarian here, and it seems like I know the healthy meats. Here's an article from 2010 with references:

http://www.draxe.com/why-you-should-avoid-pork/
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

Pork is in no way one of the best meats to eat. Best tasting? Maybe. And chicken? I'm the vegetarian here, and it seems like I know the healthy meats. Here's an article from 2010 with references:

http://www.draxe.com/why-you-should-avoid-pork/

Oh, no, you did not go there???

I read about half that article and had to stop because I was crying from laughter.

I can tell right now that there will be no discussion with you. You are a vegetarian, so why would you know?? See definition below.

I have nothing against you being a vegetarian, that is your choice but do not talk to me about what meats are healthy :noway:

veg·e·tar·i·an
    /ˌvejiˈte(ə)rēən/
    Noun
    A person who does not eat meat, and sometimes other animal products, esp. for moral, religious, or health reasons.
    Adjective
    Of or relating to the exclusion of meat or other animal products from the diet: "a vegetarian restaurant".
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options

I've been at one end of the spectrum with primal eating to the opposite end, with currently transitioning to a whole foods, plant based diet. For me, I can definitely tell which one makes my body feel better-just experiment and see how it goes :)

Also, a great book to read, for a baby steps approach, is The Flexitarian Diet by Dawn Jackson Blatner. I borrowed it from the library and it had lots of great info!
  • RozsGurl
    RozsGurl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I decided to try it also, I'm on my 2nd week and to be honest i don't miss the red meat at all. I won't lie I have had a piece of chicken and some tuna fish these past few weeks with my family, but usually I just substitute beans instead of the meat that I make for them. Love veggies of all kinds so its working for me! Feel free to add me if you want!
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a good way to lose weight. Like other people suggested, there is a lot of junk that is vegetarian too. Reducing your intake and or exercising is the way to go. Eating only plants just to lose weight runs in the same vein as just juicing for weight loss or fasting, some are healthier than others but none of these ideas are long term solutions.

If you get to an ideal weight being a vegetarian, but then quit and begin eating just the way you ate before in the same amount, you will gain the weight back.

On a side note, people always ask me if I am a vegetarian. In grocery stores, at school. I have no idea why.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    It is true, like several others have posted, that going vegetarian does not guarantee weight loss. There are a ton of foods that are unhealthy and fattening, and still vegetarian. But the good news is, if you avoid the processed stuff, you can eat a LOT of fresh fruits and vegetables and still lose weight.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It is true, like several others have posted, that going vegetarian does not guarantee weight loss. There are a ton of foods that are unhealthy and fattening, and still vegetarian. But the good news is, if you avoid the processed stuff, you can eat a LOT of fresh fruits and vegetables and still lose weight.
    Yes, you absolutely CAN lose as a veg. And you can lose and a non-veg.

I'm veg because the idea of eating an animal repulses me and I support anyone's decision to go veg (or not. I really don't care.). I just think it's delusional to think giving up meat is going to result in weight loss in and of itself.. It won't. You can overeat on anything.