Possibly going vegetarian.

Options

Replies

• ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I got really fat as a pescapollotarian. You have to make really smart choices, and it will take a lot more planning than you are probably used to. Just make sure you don't carb load, and still eat plenty of protein.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Your body was designed to take in protein and not in the form of soy burgers. If you are doing it for health reasons you are opening yourself up to some potentially serious things. You are better off cutting sugar and grains out.

I'm a new vegetarian and my protein levels are still higher than what the CDC and the WHO recommend. I also don't eat any soy products or any fake veggie 'meats' (and I will never, ever eat tofu lol). I was surprised at how much protein I'm getting in with a whole foods approach :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much protein you need to sustain your muscle mass, to what extent you are willing to get protein from supplement sources, and whether or not you have a need to limit your carbs, if you had diabetes, for example. It would be difficult to be a diabetic, vegan bodybuilder without relying heavily on protein powder. I've looked into getting more protein from vegan sources, and there weren't many surprises.
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've experienced that people who go vegetarian just to lose weight usually fail. You need to have the heart and passion that animal rights activist usually have, or else you won't be able to resist bacon.

^^THIS^^

This !!
    I want to do it after I saw many pictures on Facebook about Animal Rights.
  • Shaolin_Life
    Shaolin_Life Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    She probably lost a lot of lean muscle mass. Just keep that in mind when you seek out vegetarian protein sources.

• Shaolin_Life
    Options
    Non-vegetarians are risking their increased chance of getting cancer, heart disease, high cholesterol and obesity ;)

I'll let my 97-year-old, skinny, heart disease and cancer-free grandmother know she should stop eating meat.

• Shaolin_Life
    Options
    I went vegan in March of 2012. I have lost 121 pounds since then(and it is not 121 pounds of muscle that I lost, I assure you). It is a healthy way to live, but it does take some commitment. Society is not necessarily always welcoming, and it makes eating out more challenging. But it is worth it

THIS! :love:
  • lithezebra
    Options
    You don't have to go vegan or vegetarian to eat more vegetables, and get more of your protein from vegetarian sources. (I'm a pragmatic flexitarian, because while I have no more problem with eating animals than I do with eating other living things, I concede that eating plants is generally easier on the planet than eating animals is. But it isn't all or nothing.)

Bacon is not a factor in my thinking. For me, it's how much better I feel when I eat more than the 46 grams of protein per day that is officially recommended....that and seafood.
  • milesvictors
    milesvictors Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Your body was designed to take in protein and not in the form of soy burgers. If you are doing it for health reasons you are opening yourself up to some potentially serious things. You are better off cutting sugar and grains out.

Lets not start spreading misinformation here. You don't know enough about a vegan/vegetarian diet to make this statement. The "protein" we ingest ends up getting split apart into amino acids which then get reformed into usable proteins that our body needs. Amino acids are found in everything, including fruits and vegetables. Eat a varied diet and you'll get a complete scope of amino acids and be just as healthy if not healthier than a meat eater.

Again, don't make statements like this unless you have some factual proof (serious factual proof, not bro-science read in some paleo/Atkins/whatever book. Not knocking paleo as I think you can be a relatively healthy person on that lifestyle, but there is a lot of misinformation out there to excite people to spend money on diet books, products, etc). Thanks.
  • milesvictors
    Options
    I got really fat as a pescapollotarian. You have to make really smart choices, and it will take a lot more planning than you are probably used to. Just make sure you don't carb load, and still eat plenty of protein.

Is there even such a thing as a pescapollotarian? Basically you didn't eat red meat? That seems like a stretch to give a title to your lifestyle, but thats just me.
  • milesvictors
    Options
    She probably lost a lot of lean muscle mass. Just keep that in mind when you seek out vegetarian protein sources.

Again, stop the misinformation. This is wrong.
  • xoxobollywood2
    Options
    Non-vegetarians are risking their increased chance of getting cancer, heart disease, high cholesterol and obesity ;)

I'll let my 97-year-old, skinny, heart disease and cancer-free grandmother know she should stop eating meat.

be quiet
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm all for any diet that is about less suffering, but I don't think becoming a vegetarian is a good weight loss tool. I was a 250lb vegetarian for 5 years. I did it because I felt spiritually lighter, but it did NOT help me lose weight. Potato chips, mac and cheese, and pepsi are all vegetarian. Oh, and the good veggie hot dogs are high in calorie.
  • SJVZEE
    Options
  • milesvictors
    Options
    I'm all for any diet that is about less suffering, but I don't think becoming a vegetarian is a good weight loss tool. I was a 250lb vegetarian for 5 years. I did it because I felt spiritually lighter, but it did NOT help me lose weight. Potato chips, mac and cheese, and pepsi are all vegetarian. Oh, and the good veggie hot dogs are high in calorie.

The trick is to be a whole foods vegan/vegetarian. Eat a lot of plants (veggies, fruits, etc. Even grains, if you need them, like rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc, but be careful around bread because of the excess processing) as close to natural form as you can. Cook only when necessary/can't stand raw anymore, and try not to eat anything that comes out of a box or package. Learn to LOVE the produce section of your grocery store. This is true for most successful diets in helping you to get all of your micro and macro nutrients in the most accessible form for your body.

Again, avoid the potato chips, mac and cheese, and sodas. Avoid french fries, salty foods in general, high fat foods except for the occasional handful of nuts, coconut milk, avacado, etc. Just think about what you are eating and how you can get even closer to the way it is found in nature. It helps a lot and is the foundation of several successful diet types, such as vegan, 80/10/10, fruitarian, paleo, primal, etc. Just my 2 cents.
  • parallax1978
    parallax1978 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

That is the Uncle Louie example. Anytime someone talks about any kind of healthy lifestyle choice someone comes along with "Uncle Louie who smoked, drank, and ate 3 calzones everyday while living to be 107!" people need to separate the anecdotes from the real success and failure stories when coming up with a lifestyle decision.
  • SJVZEE
    Options

That is the Uncle Louie example. Anytime someone talks about any kind of healthy lifestyle choice someone comes along with "Uncle Louie who smoked, drank, and ate 3 calzones everyday while living to be 107!" people need to separate the anecdotes from the real success and failure stories when coming up with a lifestyle decision.

:heart:
  • lithezebra
    Options

Eating processed meat and red meat to excess isn't good for you, but that has nothing to do with eating moderate amounts of lean meat. Vegetarians run health risks too, especially vegans. See this article for an example: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/78/1/3.short

A largely vegetarian diet can be very healthy, can include some meat, and avoids the risks of eating excessive red meat and saturated fat, and the risk of B12 deficiency.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Eh.

People with perfectly healthy lifestyles drop dead of heart attacks.

I was very healthy when I ate meat and I'm very healthy since I stopped. I know fat vegans and skinny meat-eaters. It's about moderation and balance. Period. Eating a cheeseburger a couple times a week isn't going to kill anyone unless it has e. Coli or something.
  • milesvictors
    Options

Eating processed meat and red meat to excess isn't good for you, but that has nothing to do with eating moderate amounts of lean meat. Vegetarians run health risks too, especially vegans. See this article for an example: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/78/1/3.short

A largely vegetarian diet can be very healthy, can include some meat, and avoids the risks of eating excessive red meat and saturated fat, and the risk of B12 deficiency.

Please don't spread misinformation about the vegan lifestyle based on a study or two. Vegans are often/usually extraordinarily healthy so long as they get enough calories, don't just eat junk vegan foods (french fries are vegan, after all), and take a B12 supplement every so often. There are several studies that show that eating a vegan diet can reduce incidence of several cancer types, reduce the risk for heart disease, and reduce the build up of toxins in the body. I have been a vegan for several years and have never been healthier. I know many others can say that about their diets of choice, but I don't want someone to make veganism out to be an unhealthy dietary lifestyle, because it simply is not true.