Pros and cons of gloves for weight training?

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Skyle33 wrote: »
    No,
    No gloves.
    Actually sure, you can wear gloves. Just be careful about not be able to use all your gains outside of the gym because your hands won't be strong enough to support real situations

I own a horse- and a motorcycle... and I have yet to find a situation where my grip strength wasn't adequate for basic day to day needs.

So... um? lol Wut? this makes literally no sense.
  • dalerst
    dalerst Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I use gloves but must admit I've not tried without them.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    This old guy just does not care what you do in your gym. I will wear gloves.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    No,
    No gloves.
    Actually sure, you can wear gloves. Just be careful about not be able to use all your gains outside of the gym because your hands won't be strong enough to support real situations

I own a horse- and a motorcycle... and I have yet to find a situation where my grip strength wasn't adequate for basic day to day needs.

dem grip gains gone!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    I'm considering getting gloves ever since I caught a dude at the gym scratching his crack and then grabbing the bar...

I do try to wipe down equipment before and after but the surface pattern on db's and bb's and some of the grip material on some of the equipment makes the effectiveness of wiping seem a bit dubious. lol

Need an "eeewwwwwww" button! :grimace:
  • albin9072
    albin9072 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you use cloves ,you got more comfort for hand with weight lifting.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    No,
    No gloves.

dem grip gains gone!

sad panda :(
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I lift without gloves and love my callouses and the wife doesn't mind them so it makes it ok.
  • TISCHK004
    TISCHK004 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't know how old anyone in this group is but... your hands show the story of your life and while some may feel they are a badge of the hard work they have done lifting weights; your hands are one of the first things to show age! For the ladies who don't wear gloves... Do you really want to add tough calloused palms to that equation?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    TISCHK004 wrote: »
    Don't know how old anyone in this group is but... your hands show the story of your life and while some may feel they are a badge of the hard work they have done lifting weights your hands are one of the first things to show age! For the ladies who don't wear gloves... Do you really want to add tough calloused palms to that equation?

How do you figure this to be true?

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I can lift like a construction worker, but that doesn't mean my hands have to look like that of a construction worker..... Gloves, I like having soft hands.....
  • tndorenez20
    tndorenez20 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Pros your hands stay pretty cons your missing out on a lot of grip strength gains
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I don't wear them, prefer chalk. I love my callouses, they are not to show others that l lift heavy weight, I like them cuz they remind me how hard I've worked, just like the scrapes on my legs from deadlifting.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    I can lift like a construction worker, but that doesn't mean my hands have to look like that of a construction worker..... Gloves, I like having soft hands.....

I used to do heavy construction work - I wore gloves. lol
  • fromaquasar1
    fromaquasar1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Do gloves help at all with grip strength? I am finding I have to put the bar down when dead lifting cause my wrists/forearms/hands hurt, not my legs...I'm pretty sure my grip is good, the weight is just too much on my hands...
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Do gloves help at all with grip strength? I am finding I have to put the bar down when dead lifting cause my wrists/forearms/hands hurt, not my legs...I'm pretty sure my grip is good, the weight is just too much on my hands...

Not in my experience - unless your grip is slipping because of sweaty hands or something.

I use straps on my back days near the end of my 2 hour workout because I'm working my BACK and I don't need my grip strength being the determining factor - but that is after a lot of volume. I also use straps when I'm shrugging a lot of weight on a BB. I never liked using alternating grip for those and once again, I'm working traps not my grip.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I've tried gloves, but either they're too big and slip around or fit my palm but are so short and stubby in the fingers that they irritate the skin there. So I figured the heck with it. My hands had callouses from years rowing crew and canoeing, what are a few more. But really, after the initial nasty crusty ones, mine are just smooth reddish bumps for the most part, unless I really go nuts. Lifting for a bit over a year, and my hands look way better than the nasty, ripped up claws I had from crew, so I'll take this as an improvement.
  • joeybrid
    joeybrid Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    lol I use gloves. It's all fun and games until you forget to cut your calluses off and one rips off mid deadlift
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Gloves for deadlifts because my grip is terrible when I am sweaty