Pros and cons of gloves for weight training?

Options
1235»

Replies

• teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Invest in good quality hand and body cream and look after your skin.....
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    My take on gloves! So first it depends on your goals, right? Earlier we learned that if you're into power lifting you can't use gloves for competition so that's PART of the actual activity. However, for those into bodybuilding. I know for me, that my goal is to ultimately grow more muscle and achieve an awesome physique, and how do you do that, by having successful work outs and at the end of the day if not wearing gloves gets in the way of being able to achieve more reps or more work in the gym than wear the damn things. I know for certain exercises I do much better with padding on my hands. Some I like the natural grip better. As for the macho aspect of not wearing gloves, no need for that in the gym ;). That is my two cents.
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    I use gloves. I need to be able to accurately feel in my job so can't afford thick desensitised skin on my hands!

That being said they're a scarred up mess..
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Pros your hands stay pretty cons your missing out on a lot of grip strength gains

I've heard this before, so in some cases this is true, however again if I can get more reps at that moment by putting on gloves then so be it. Also gloves don't take away from grip strength, straps do, which I don't really use. Gloves are simply a measure of comfort, why be uncomfortable when you're trying to lift weights? If I can add 10 lbs to my bench with gloves as opposed no gloves, I think I'm gonna go with the gloves....