Diary open am I eating right? I am not losing anymore!!

Options

Replies

• Jennifera714
    Options
    So how exactly do you burn 300 calories in 9 minutes through nursing?

That is my daily calorie burn for the day depending on how many oz I make per day you can burn up to 500 calories max I nurse 8 - 10 times a day minimum 300, so I enter the min.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options

Like this:

http://www.ehow.com/about_4598063_many-do-burn-day-breastfeeding_.html
  • doctorsookie
    Options
    No, don't listen to what everyone else is saying. Just nurse for an additional 10 minutes to burn an apparent additional 300 calories. That should do the trick.

I imagine she entered the wrong number of minutes... as MFP doesn't have breastfeeding under exercise, she would have had to create her own entry.
  • Jennifera714
    Options

Let me google that for you

http://www.shape.com/lifestyle/mind-and-body/perks-and-health-benefits-breastfeeding

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/12/fashion/12Skin.html?_r=0

You're an absolute fool if you think 9 minutes of nursing will burn THREE HUNDRED calories.

Unfortunately I can't Google common sense for you.

I guess it was too much to expect copying and pasting. She logs that burn daily (and the numbers are consistent with a day's worth of breastfeeding) so the minute amount is arbitrary.

This is my daily burn daily I nurse full time I enter the MINIMUM you can burn daily nursing. I have LOADS OF COMMON SENSE thank you.... =)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You need to be eating more then. 1200 is not enough calories for you, especially breastfeeding.
  • doctorsookie
    Options
    I agree with the easing up on the meal replacement shakes as I notice you have one with a meal or with a snack you could be defying the purpose of them. If its protein you want, try a protien powder (25 grams of protien with 140 calories) in a glass of lowfat or fat free milk. Otherwise, looking good new mommy. Good luck!
  • Jennifera714
    Options

http://www.shape.com/lifestyle/mind-and-body/perks-and-health-benefits-breastfeeding

THANK YOU!!
  • LindaGTaylor
    LindaGTaylor Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    how long has it been since a loss?
    what exercise do you do, have you had any "days off" and ate something different? what are you stats, height weight ?
    I looked at your diary, it looks good, but I think that mfp over estimates exercise calories, so when I went to tdee method -20% I started losing again:)
    Louise

Tdee method is good advise... And a great place to start your research.
  • Jennifera714
    Options

You're an absolute fool if you think 9 minutes of nursing will burn THREE HUNDRED calories.

Unfortunately I can't Google common sense for you.

EDIT: Oh nevermind I can: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=common+sense

YOUR A MALE SAYING THIS!... LOL I HAVE 3 CHILDREN! SORRY I RATHER STICK TO MY FORMULA AS IT IS VERY ACCURATE FOR MY DAILY BURN.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    what exercise do you do, have you had any "days off" and ate something different? what are you stats, height weight ?
    I looked at your diary, it looks good, but I think that mfp over estimates exercise calories, so when I went to tdee method -20% I started losing again:)
    Louise

MFP definitely overestimates exercise calories.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    What I would suggest you do is eat at least 100 more calories a day then what your eating now and see if that don't jump start your weight loss again.
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Take a look at your exercise, I see a number of days with over 750+ exercise calories. That seems like an awful lot, I burn ~550 in during most of the month 1 Insanity videos and I'm a 5'10" 200lb man. Don't count daily activities like cleaning, work or casual walking around the home or office as exercise, just your actual workouts.
  • marci2lip
    marci2lip Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I guess it was too much to expect copying and pasting. She logs that burn daily (and the numbers are consistent with a day's worth of breastfeeding) so the minute amount is arbitrary.

I guess it was too much to expect you to research reputable studies to defend your point. Maybe there's something else you can link under the fashion section of The New York Times?

What is your point? That she should be reporting actual minutes breastfeeding everyday, or that if the above person can't site a reputable study that supports that breastfeeding burns calories, then obviously breastfeeding doesn't contribute to calorie burn. Why not just drop it?
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    YOUR A MALE SAYING THIS!... LOL I HAVE 3 CHILDREN! SORRY I RATHER STICK TO MY FORMULA AS IT IS VERY ACCURATE FOR MY DAILY BURN.

I questioned your diary on the board 'General Diet and Weight Loss Help' after you purposely opened your diary for comments. Obviously something isn't accurate considering you've only lost 10 pounds and not budging.
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    What is your point? That she should be reporting actual minutes breastfeeding everyday, or that if the above person can't site a reputable study that supports that breastfeeding burns calories, then obviously breastfeeding doesn't contribute to calorie burn. Why not just drop it?

If there's no concrete evidence it burns significant calories, it shouldn't be counted. That's my point.
  • jennwren77
    jennwren77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Louise

5 ' 7 Starting Weight: 184
    Current weight: 174
    Started diet exercising: May 20th, 2013 approx 2 months and a couple days

Mon-Fri 10 am : 150 squats
    12 pm: Walking 30 mins briskly
    3:00 pm: 50 squats
    6:00pm-7:00pm: 30 Day Shred Jillian Michaels

Wednesday: Weights 10 lbs (20) mins
    Friday: Weights 10 lbs (20) mins

Saturday & Sunday: Rest

I'm really confused. You lost 10 lbs in two months and some days...how long has it been since you stopped seeing a loss? How much are you trying to lose per week?
  • deksgrl
    Options
    But she needs more in NUTRITION for the baby. Breastfeeding women need ~ 500 extra calories for this.
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Ahh I see, I missed the part about breast feeding. I'll say up front that I'm not sure that I'm qualified to say it but I don't think that I'd count breast feeding as a caloric burn from exercise; I stand all day from the time I get to work until the time I get home and I don't count that as exercise, it's part of my lifestyle even though it does burn calories as does breathing and watching TV, but I do count the 38-60 minutes that I work out doing Insanity or one of my other programs. Just my 2 cents.

BTW congratulations on your choice to breast feed, I wish more would do the same :-)
  • Jennifera714
    Options

If there's no concrete evidence it burns significant calories, it shouldn't be counted. That's my point.

There are tons of, "CONCRETE" evidence breastfeeding burns calories. I nurse more than 9 mins a day. That is just the way mfp let me enter that particular calorie burn. Sorry it offended you so much as to how many mins I nurse lol. I do burn 300 calories daily seeing I make about 30 oz a day for my newborn. Also seeing that this is coming from a young MAN not WOMAN/MOTHER such as yourself I'll leave it at that.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Breastfeeding calorie calculator.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/breastfeeding_calorie_calculator.htm

If you put in your stats and choose exercise 5x per week, you get 2335 calories. Take 20% off of that for weight loss. 1868 calories a day.

Measure/weigh your food accurately.