Diary open am I eating right? I am not losing anymore!!

Options

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    What is your point? That she should be reporting actual minutes breastfeeding everyday, or that if the above person can't site a reputable study that supports that breastfeeding burns calories, then obviously breastfeeding doesn't contribute to calorie burn. Why not just drop it?

If there's no concrete evidence it burns significant calories, it shouldn't be counted. That's my point.

Maybe after you create enough milk to keep an infant alive you can report back your findings. It does burn calories and is a documented fact which since you are so smart you should be able to look up for yourself. You're being an asshat!
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Maybe after you create enough milk to keep an infant alive you can report back your findings. It does burn calories and is a documented fact which since you are so smart you should be able to look up for yourself. You're being an asshat!

First, I don't see how I'm being an 'asshat' by asking a question. This is apparently a very sensitive subject for you, so I suggest you relax and go eat a pop tart.

Second, I did actually (albeit short) search for any studies detailing calories burnt through breastfeeding and came up short. I have no doubt the human body burns calories in the production of milk, but it should not be counted as an exercise considering there's not an accurate way to measure it. Not to mention 'exercise' is the purpose of physical activity.
  • marci2lip
    marci2lip Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What is your point? That she should be reporting actual minutes breastfeeding everyday, or that if the above person can't site a reputable study that supports that breastfeeding burns calories, then obviously breastfeeding doesn't contribute to calorie burn. Why not just drop it?

If there's no concrete evidence it burns significant calories, it shouldn't be counted. That's my point.

Thank you! :) I nursed my children, but was always afraid to diet and lose my milk production. I think it's fantastic, OP, that you're working so hard to lose while nursing a baby and having two additional children to chase after. It is HARD!

You may wish to think of it this way... If you're staying at the same weight for a little while, perhaps it's your body's way to "stabilize" before the next set of losses. Don't cut those calories too much.
  • HerpDerp745
    Options
    There are tons of, "CONCRETE" evidence breastfeeding burns calories. I nurse more than 9 mins a day. That is just the way mfp let me enter that particular calorie burn. Sorry it offended you so much as to how many mins I nurse lol. I do burn 300 calories daily seeing I make about 30 oz a day for my newborn. Also seeing that this is coming from a young MAN not WOMAN/MOTHER such as yourself I'll leave it at that.

Well I'm glad you found concrete evidence that supports a way to accurately measure caloric burn enough to jot it down. Perhaps you can link me to an article that has actual science to it?

And don't worry, I'm not offended, I was merely trying to help you out in your predicament of halting weight loss.

Also, I'm not a young man -- I'm Batman.

I'll leave it at that.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

First, I don't see how I'm being an 'asshat' by asking a question. This is apparently a very sensitive subject for you, so I suggest you relax and go eat a pop tart.

Second, I did actually (albeit short) search for any studies detailing calories burnt through breastfeeding and came up short. I have no doubt the human body burns calories in the production of milk, but it should not be counted as an exercise considering there's not an accurate way to measure it. Not to mention 'exercise' is the purpose of physical activity.

She wasn't eating back those calories from what I saw anyway, so your argument is moot. But she is set too low at 1200 calories for health.

"Additional energy needs for an exclusively breastfeeding woman are approximately 670 kcal/day. If one allows for gradual weight loss, the net increment needed is about 500 kcal/day." http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.nutr.17.1.19

edit: typo.
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    HerpDerp745 your an idiot and your comments prove this! Just sayin! Oh and I am a mom of 5 and have nursed them all and it burns a lot of calories but you would never know that cuz your a man who never nursed!:wink:
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    'Breastfeeding burns extra calories, so it can help you lose pregnancy weight faster.'

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/breastfeeding-9/nursing-basics

' Producing milk uses 200 to 500 calories a day, on average.'

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/reviewing-moms-health-benefits-of-breastfeeding.html

---

Articles. Google is your friend.

I breastfed my daughter for 18 months. Increase your protein, increase your fats and put in your 300-500 (non-exclusive or exclusive) into your diary HOWEVER YOU PLEASE. It doesn't matter that it's logged as exercise. I logged mine as a 'food' for minus calories. MyFitnessPal is supposed to equate for breastfeeding, but the function doesn't work.
  • HerpDerp745
    Options
    She wasn't eating back those calories from what I saw anyway, so your argument is moot. But she is set too low at 1200 calories for health.

"Additional energy needs for an exclusively breastfeeding woman are approximately 670 kcal/day. If one allows for gradual weight loss, the net increment needed is about 500 kcal/day." http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.nutr.17.1.19

edit: typo.

It's funny, because I was just reading this from the calculator link you gave.

Based on the extract, it does only state an additional 670 kcal is required for breastfeeding, but doesn't necessarily state whether this is actively assimilated for lactation, or just for general metabolic requirements for the rest of the body. Unfortunately we can't read the full text unless we buy.
  • HerpDerp745
    Options
    HerpDerp745 your an idiot and your comments prove this! Just sayin! Oh and I am a mom of 5 and have nursed them all and it burns a lot of calories but you would never know that cuz your a man who never nursed!:wink:

Hey Alisha28,

I'm sorry you think I'm an idiot. I was merely attempting to help the OP. But in the future, do yourself a favor and call someone an idiot with proper grammar? :wink:
  • bauer1971
    bauer1971 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    What a jerk

Edit to add: this is directed at HerpDerp
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Based on the extract, it does only state an additional 670 kcal is required for breastfeeding, but doesn't necessarily state whether this is actively assimilated for lactation, or just for general metabolic requirements for the rest of the body. Unfortunately we can't read the full text unless we buy.

It doesn't matter, either way, the woman needs more calories.
  • HerpDerp745
    Options
    What a jerk

Edit to add: this is directed at HerpDerp

I'm sorry bauer1971, I really don't understand why everyone thinks I'm being a jerk. Can you explain?
  • Alisha28
    Options
    GO BACK TO THE CAVE BATMAN you have no idea what your talking about on this topic.....:wink:
  • HerpDerp745
    Options

It doesn't matter, either way, the woman needs more calories.

I agree. I think it's much wiser to put the baby first. It doesn't look like she's getting enough calories.
  • HerpDerp745
    Options
    GO BACK TO THE CAVE BATMAN you have no idea what your talking about on this topic.....:wink:

And apparently, neither do you. :wink:
  • bauer1971
    bauer1971 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I will not waste my time or energy trying to explain this to you as it appears that your skull may be too thick to understand. Go back and read what you've wrote compared to the other replies.

Again: edit to add that this is directed at HerpDerp
  • HerpDerp745
    Options
    I will not waste my time or energy trying to explain this to you as it appears that your skull may be too thick to understand. Go back and read what you've wrote compared to the other replies.

But you will waste energy to call me a jerk? I did go back and read. It seems everyone is attacking me personally while I've maintained respect for everyone.
  • Alisha28
    Options

Right On!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    You can log your breastfeeding under the food diary section. It's an actual listing with the option of how many feedings per day so the whole "9 minutes burns 300 calories wft?!" thing can be avoided in future.
  • Jennifera714
    Options
    how long has it been since a loss?
    what exercise do you do, have you had any "days off" and ate something different? what are you stats, height weight ?
    I looked at your diary, it looks good, but I think that mfp over estimates exercise calories, so when I went to tdee method -20% I started losing again:)
    Louise

5 ' 7 Starting Weight: 184
    Current weight: 174
    Started diet exercising: May 20th, 2013 approx 2 months and a couple days

Mon-Fri 10 am : 150 squats
    12 pm: Walking 30 mins briskly
    3:00 pm: 50 squats
    6:00pm-7:00pm: 30 Day Shred Jillian Michaels

Wednesday: Weights 10 lbs (20) mins
    Friday: Weights 10 lbs (20) mins

Saturday & Sunday: Rest

I'm really confused. You lost 10 lbs in two months and some days...how long has it been since you stopped seeing a loss? How much are you trying to lose per week?

I am shooting at 1.5-2 lbs a week. I have not seen any change in about going on 2 weeks.