Cutting Sugar From my Diet entirely

Options
saheel97
saheel97 Posts: 15 Member
I'm considering cutting sugar completely out from my diet. For the past three weeks that I've been dieting, I've cut down a ton because I'm no longer drinking fraps and other junk *kitten* every day and it hasn't felt like that much of a burden. Has anyone else gone sugar-free entirely? What effects have you noticed? The only thing now I feel like would affect me is the fact that I would have to cut fruits out which is rather disappointing.

Replies

• Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    1coolmofo wrote: »
    Start reasonably and cut refined sugars for 2 weeks and see how you feel. Make sure you are not replacing with a bunch of artificial sweeteners. Due to a health issue I had to cut refined sugars but still use honey agave and natural sugars in fruits and vegetables. My goal is to stay under 30g a day. Think that is about as close as I can get to "no sugar" and eat a complete diet. (2100 cal/day)

How would cutting refined sugar help a health issue if you are replacing it with natural sugar?

Your body doesn't care where it comes from. Sugar is sugar.

Your body does care.
    Refined sugar is broken down by the body differently than natural occouring sugars.
    Refined sugars are made of bonded sucrose and glucose and when they are processed by the body it dramatically increases insulin production. Or in my case fuel for bacteria production. Consuming 30g +/- of sugar daily is pretty low considering a 12oz can of coke contains 40g.

Got a link to some science on that?

1) Refined sugar (table sugar, also called sucrose) is made of glucose and fructose. Guess what honey is made of? Glucose and fructose. Guess what high fructose corn syrup is made of? You guessed it - glucose and fructose.

2) The body digests/metabolizes all sugars (refined or natural) into monosaccharides (chiefly glucose), regardless of their source. Sugar is sugar.

How your body metabolises naturally occurring sugars is different from how it metabolises artificial or processed/refined sugars. They did a study of artificial honey versus natural honey where the artificial honey had exact same ratio of glucose to fructose molecules. What they found was that the body treated the two honeys significantly differently. Too, in studies of the Kuna people who get the majority of their calories from fruit, there are no sugar related diseases and their body mass remains lean. Further studies have shown that the same molecules of sugar are processed differently...for example the fructose eaten with fruit was processed differently from HFCS...and actually that pure fructose was toxic.
    https://chriskresser.com/is-all-sugar-created-equal/
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    Start reasonably and cut refined sugars for 2 weeks and see how you feel. Make sure you are not replacing with a bunch of artificial sweeteners. Due to a health issue I had to cut refined sugars but still use honey agave and natural sugars in fruits and vegetables. My goal is to stay under 30g a day. Think that is about as close as I can get to "no sugar" and eat a complete diet. (2100 cal/day)

How would cutting refined sugar help a health issue if you are replacing it with natural sugar?

Your body does care.
    Refined sugar is broken down by the body differently than natural occouring sugars.
    Refined sugars are made of bonded sucrose and glucose and when they are processed by the body it dramatically increases insulin production. Or in my case fuel for bacteria production. Consuming 30g +/- of sugar daily is pretty low considering a 12oz can of coke contains 40g.

1) Refined sugar (table sugar, also called sucrose) is made of glucose and fructose. Guess what honey is made of? Glucose and fructose. Guess what high fructose corn syrup is made of? You guessed it - glucose and fructose.

2) The body digests/metabolizes all sugars (refined or natural) into monosaccharides (chiefly glucose), regardless of their source. Sugar is sugar.

How your body metabolises naturally occurring sugars is different from how it metabolises artificial or processed/refined sugars. They did a study of artificial honey versus natural honey where the artificial honey had exact same ratio of glucose to fructose molecules. What they found was that the body treated the two honeys significantly differently. Too, in studies of the Kuna people who get the majority of their calories from fruit, there are no sugar related diseases and their body mass remains lean. Further studies have shown that the same molecules of sugar are processed differently...for example the fructose eaten with fruit was processed differently from HFCS...and actually that pure fructose was toxic.

Where are these studies?

Your link is just to a blog by someone who clearly doesn't understand what he is writing about.

The references with the specific studies backing up what he's reporting are embedded in the article. Just click on the end note numbers as they appear by the sentence they refer to. They are in blue font and are hyperlinked. Cheers!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Your body does care.

Where are these studies?

Your link is just to a blog by someone who clearly doesn't understand what he is writing about.

The references with the specific studies backing up what he's reporting are embedded in the article. Just click on the end note numbers as they appear by the sentence they refer to. They are in blue font and are hyperlinked. Cheers!

Thanks, I was on my phone and they weren't showing up as hyperlinked. I'm on the laptop now so I can read.