June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 I reread your blog post on tapering and carb loading and found a conundrum for me. I'm quoting directly just to make it easier on me.
    . In the next 3 days, you will want to eat about 4 grams of carbs for every pound of body weight. (150 lb runner will need ~600 grams or 2,400 calories)

Here I made a logical jump, you equated that to ~2400 calories in carbs. So, taking that and reversing it, I got 4cal per gram of carbs, is that right?

So, taking my weight, I get 129x4=516g of carbs.... o, I get a calorie total of 2064, just carbs. Maintenance for me is something like 2040-2100 net calories, with fluctuations I'll be maxing out at somewhere 2500 net calories, with a 5 mile run on the Wednesday before race day, and around 2250 on Friday(5k fun run jogged with wife).

See my conundrum? I'd have to be at or near 100% (82% on Wednesday) carbs for the last 3 days to reach those numbers.... Now, I have no problem downing that much Coke (as your article says, LOL), but I'm wondering, would that still make it correct? I'm partially asking because I really do want to figure out how to do this right but, also, because I'm kind of geeking out over the math/science part of it, something I love.

Thanks

@MNLittleFinn - I am far from an expert on carb loading. It's on the list of things I need to figure out to improve my marathons. But I can answer part of this.

Yes, 4 kcal per gram of carbs. Also 4 kcal per gram of protein, 9 kcal per gram of fat, and 7 kcal per gram of alcohol. So for a rough estimate, you can have another gram of carbs for every gram of protein you eliminate, or 2 grams of carbs for every gram of fat you eliminate, and not materially change how many calories you are consuming. You still have to deal with the issues of needing some protein to maintain muscle mass, and needing some fat to help absorb the fat-soluble vitamins. That might not be such a big deal for 3 or 4 days, which is all you're worried about with carb loading.

It's not a huge problem to eat a bit above maintenance level for 3 or 4 days prior to a marathon. Even if you go on a See Food diet on race day after running 26.2 miles, you're unlikely to be way over maintenance for the week. Then you want to really control what you eat in recovery, because you won't be able to run as much as you did before the race. I'll defer to @Stoshew71 for the geek quantification of this thought, or perhaps he'll tell me I've got it wrong.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Thanks @MobyCarp that makes perfect sense. You're way more of an expert than me, so i really appreciate your input.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty you're no failure. You can/do run the distance. Running in races is more for the folks who get energy from the crowds, or want to test themselves against others. There's nothing wrong (and a whole lot good) about running just for running's sake. Keep at it runner!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @hanlonsk great race, woohoo on your time! I loved the pictures!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Congrats @hanlonsk! It sounds like your first HM went really well! It really is a long distance, one you should really feel afterwards your first time. That you ran so much more of it than expected is really impressive!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @hanlonsk Wow, that was an awesome first HM! Glad you enjoyed the experience and had fun, and those pics look fantastic!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    June goal: 50 miles

6/1/17: 3.5 miles
    6/2/17: 1 mile
    6/4/17: 4.3 miles

8.8/50 miles

Great run today. It was more humid than I would have liked, but still in the 70's so really nice for Texas in June. I saw lots of critters today too which is always fun. I even jumped over a snake. It was just a little grass snake, but I still jumped over it.

@RespectTheKitty I am sorry your race didn't work out, but as many others have said there is no reason you have to race. Just run when you want to. I hope your back is better soon and you don't beat yourself up. I've been reading your training reports. No matter what, you are Not a failure.
    @KatieJane83 Great PR.
    @hanlonsk Great job completing your first HM.
    I always love the race reports.

exercise.png

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @hanlonsk - Nice race report, congrats on beating your goal time! And now you know why the rule of thumb for port-a-pots at a race is, get in line before you need to go.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @hanlonsk great race report, and awesome job on your first HM!
  • nFoooo
    nFoooo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    @garygse

Thank you for the advice and the recommendation I will check out the book. I don't think that will be a problem though because I don't plan at doing all my training at an easy pace (probably 3 easy runs out of 4), since I am currently focusing on the 5K. I also like to run a 5K every week or two weeks just to try to beat my PB.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @hanlonsk - Nice race report, congrats on beating your goal time! And now you know why the rule of thumb for port-a-pots at a race is, get in line before you need to go.

Yeah. I do that bit pretty well. Friend has us trained to always stop at portopots. But we did that too far before the start of the race. I would have been fine for a 5k, or even a 10K... just not for 13.1. So, I will have to remember it is worth dealing with the crowd closer to the race start to not repeat that.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Great race @hanlonsk! Great report and pictures and congrats on beating your goal time. Awesome!