How is it so easy for so many people to eat less?

Options
I need help. I'm starting to think that I will never be able to lose weight. I've been trying to lose about three years now but it's not working. I lose a pound and quickly gain it back. I can't seem to stick to eating less, I will do it for one or two days at a time (three for the most) and then I get hungry and eat too much. I started off wanting to lose 25 pounds three years ago and since then I have gained another 30 pounds. I am 5'9" and currently 215 pounds and need to get to 160.

I think my maintenance is about 2250 but I normally eat about 2500 so that is what my body is used to. I try reducing to between 1750 and 2000 and to exercise consistently. I'll make it a few days and then feel crazy hungry and overeat again. I tried IF 16:8 and that helped a lot but again, hard to stick to.

On average I eat probably 100 to 120 grams of protein, maybe 100 grams of fat and about 300 grams of carbs. I know it's a lot. I normally exercise about twice a week and with this I gain about a pound a month.

I eat healthy foods everyday - fruit and vegetables, a variety of meat (not processed), beans, oatmeal etc but I eat a lot of unhealthy, high calorie foods too.

Anyone else experienced this and overcame it? I would really appreciate and welcome all thoughts and advice. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    For me it's a mental game. If I listen to my body and eat when physically hungry and eat till I'm not hungry (not full) then I find it easy to do. I do 5:2 fasting and find the day after fasting my stomach has shrunk so much that it doesn't take much to fill me up. When stressed though I eat emotionally and it's much much harder.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Stick with it no matter what for 5 weeks. Don't weigh yourself for those five weeks. Seeing how much you lose will motivate you to continue. You'll get used to fewer calories. It just takes a couple of weeks or so.