Replies

• fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    20 total - 16 fiber = 4 net
  • mmecraine
    mmecraine Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I'm on week 6 of low carb, high fat.
    My doc said it could stabilize my moods, which seem to be set off by blood sugar fluctuations.
    So far I've lost 9 pounds and feel great. Not nearly as hungry as I thought I would be.

Today (with a planned snack later) I'm at 45 total and 25 net!

Anyone else trying to do this vegetarian,vegan, or plant based??
  • RehmeldR
    RehmeldR Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    So, Do you go by total net carbs?
  • mmecraine
    Options
    RehmeldR wrote: »
    I usually have a goal for both. Total under 50,net under 30, but to each their own.
    The challenge intro says under 50 total.
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    mmecraine wrote: »
    RehmeldR wrote: »
    I usually have a goal for both. Total under 50,net under 30, but to each their own.
    The challenge intro says under 50 total.

I set the challenge at 50 total, but I personally aim for 40 or less total and 30 or less net, but lately I've been trying to pull those numbers down a bit.
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    My doc said it could stabilize my moods, which seem to be set off by blood sugar fluctuations.
    So far I've lost 9 pounds and feel great. Not nearly as hungry as I thought I would be.

I would have a hard time doing LC veggie-based, let all be vegetarian or vegan. Are you doing it veggie-based (or vegetarian or vegan?) what food staples are you using?

I'd be interested in increasing my catalog of meals and upping my fiber, which some more veggie dishes may be good for.
  • Kimberlyrobinson87
    Kimberlyrobinson87 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Day 2 completed.

1035 calories consumed
    29g total carbs
    9g net carbs
  • EadaoinThunder
    EadaoinThunder Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm still learning keto, doctor supervised, but recently ran into some food allergies. 246. Short term goal of 222, step down to 200 from there, ultimately 180. *grins* I'm on the high protein keto. Suprisingly, not having problems getting my protein or keeping the carbs low, but getting my fats in. Trying to stay between 1000-1200 calories daily, recovering from an anterior/posterior spinal fusion at L5/S1 6 weeks ago. Starting physical therapy the 13th. In the meantime, walking and doing stationary bike at home for exercise.
  • naydnayd
    naydnayd Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I started keto 1st of June, still new to it and still learning. I've lost a ton of weight before with a very low calorie and restrictive diet... But when I fell off the wagon I gained everything I lost plus around 20kg. Three days in, I think the keto diet is manageable in comparison because I can still eat a lot of the things I love, like cheese! I had lunch out today and I had guiltless pork ribs. Lol.

I'm also managing an immune system condition and have been on oral corticosteroids for a long time now. I don't really know why, but with less carbs my condition is less severe. I hope that as I'm doing keto I will feel well enough to start tapering because I'm sick of the moonface and buffalo hump. xD

Three days in, three pounds lost. :)

Good luck, everyone.
  • mmecraine
    Options

I would have a hard time doing LC veggie-based, let all be vegetarian or vegan. Are you doing it veggie-based (or vegetarian or vegan?) what food staples are you using?

I'd be interested in increasing my catalog of meals and upping my fiber, which some more veggie dishes may be good for.

I found doing low carb a lot harder in the first few weeks when I wasn't as open to veggies.
    Now that I focus on net carbs and really eating for health- I'm a lot happier!

I eat a lot of nuts and seeds. I obviously eat 2-3 servings of low carb veggies at each meal (lettuce, broccoli, cucumbers, cauliflower) and for 2 meals I eat a soy product or use tasteless protein powder.

Lately, my breakfast is cucumber dunked natural peanut butter, almond milk, and 1/3 cup blueberries if I have a sweet tooth.
    Salad with sunflower seeds and marinated tofu (lemon juice, garlic, coconut oil) for lunch
    Almonds/walnuts as snacks
    Dinner is roasted/grilled veggies, protein powder savory "pancake" and maybe cheese/pesto dipping sauce.

• RehmeldR
    RehmeldR Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm still learning keto, doctor supervised, but recently ran into some food allergies. 246. Short term goal of 222, step down to 200 from there, ultimately 180. *grins* I'm on the high protein keto. Suprisingly, not having problems getting my protein or keeping the carbs low, but getting my fats in. Trying to stay between 1000-1200 calories daily, recovering from an anterior/posterior spinal fusion at L5/S1 6 weeks ago. Starting physical therapy the 13th. In the meantime, walking and doing stationary bike at home for exercise.

I had spinal fusion L4-L5, 12 weeks ago. Currently in therapy. So, I feel ya.
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    6/2:

Total: 43
    Net: 38

@EadaoinThunder and @RehmeldR yikes! I hope you both have quick recoveries!

@naydnayd welcome to the challenge! A lot of us use this WOE to help manage health issues. It's sort of crazy how anti-fat everyone was (is) when it is such an important macro for those of us with medical conditions.

@mmecraine do you mind sharing your protein pancake recipe? I eat a reasonable amount of nuts (walnuts, almonds, pistachios) and I'm working on getting my veggies up, but nearly all of my meals have egg, chicken, steak, pork, etc. so I'd be interested in other protein options to mix things up a bit.
  • MyTimeNishka
    MyTimeNishka Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Me too...I would like to join
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    Me too...I would like to join

Welcome! What are your stats and goals?
  • iloveturnipgreens
    iloveturnipgreens Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Here are my net carbs from the past few days:
    Day 1: 5 carbs
    Day2: 20 carbs
    Day3: 12 carbs

Figuring out the macros as I go. I have lowered my protein (which was over) and increased my fat (which was under. So far I'm loving the foods and feeling full.
    My goal is to stay under 20 carbs for the month.

Do sugars count as carbs? I am staying under 5g a day so far. Will they affect ketosis? Should I aim for lower?

Feel like I'm off to a good start!
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    ISuprisingly, not having problems getting my protein or keeping the carbs low, but getting my fats in.

Don't worry about this, just make sure your carbs don't creep up.
    Because - once you're in ketosis, your body will use your fat stores if you're not eating enough of them. In other words, you'll lose weight faster.
    Also, once you're in ketosis, you really won't be hungry as often. Eat when you're hungry, even if it doesn't hit you until 5 in the afternoon.

What I do is, keep my total carbs under 22 grams (which is 5%) for me) and then I make sure my macro percents stay on target if I don't eat my goal in a day.
    Say I eat 300 calories under target. I won't eat all my daily target of protein and carbs, because the percentages would be out of whack.

Tips for keeping the percentages in balance:
    Always eat the full fat versions of foods.
    If you're eating low fat proteins (mmm shrimp!) add fat to it in your preparation or as a sauce.
    Find a no carb go to snack - mine is pepperoni.
    Raw veggies (salads, etc) are your friends.
    I eat avocado (or guac) every single day.

• fatblatta
    Options
    28 total - 11 fiber = 17 net
  • fatblatta
    Options
    ck2d wrote: »
    ISuprisingly, not having problems getting my protein or keeping the carbs low, but getting my fats in.

Don't worry about this, just make sure your carbs don't creep up.
    Because - once you're in ketosis, your body will use your fat stores if you're not eating enough of them. In other words, you'll lose weight faster.
    Also, once you're in ketosis, you really won't be hungry as often. Eat when you're hungry, even if it doesn't hit you until 5 in the afternoon.

What I do is, keep my total carbs under 22 grams (which is 5%) for me) and then I make sure my macro percents stay on target if I don't eat my goal in a day.
    Say I eat 300 calories under target. I won't eat all my daily target of protein and carbs, because the percentages would be out of whack.

Tips for keeping the percentages in balance:
    Always eat the full fat versions of foods.
    If you're eating low fat proteins (mmm shrimp!) add fat to it in your preparation or as a sauce.
    Find a no carb go to snack - mine is pepperoni.
    Raw veggies (salads, etc) are your friends.
    I eat avocado (or guac) every single day.

Do you shoot for 22 total or net? I've read arguments for both. I've been using net because I can eat pretty much all the veggies I want to eat.

Cheers
  • fatblatta
    Options

My first try, I tried super low carb. I avoided most vegetables. This was a mistake as I was constantly constipated (sorry TMI). I changed over time and now I try to eat a lot of veggies. I like this much better. I throw in a few vegetarian days.
  • Kimberlyrobinson87
    Kimberlyrobinson87 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Day 3 completed.

Total carbs: 23g
    Net carbs: 20g
    1570 calories consumed. 70 calories above goal. But I met my fat goal today so I'm happy.