Low carb (keto or otherwise) for June!

Options

Replies

• EadaoinThunder
    EadaoinThunder Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I had spinal fusion L4-L5, 12 weeks ago. Currently in therapy. So, I feel ya.
    [/quote]

Thanks. It was some doing to get a doctor to agree to the surgery due to size and my young age. As you know, once you have one your lining yourself up for another down the road. But, my husband has seizurex so I kind of needed to be able to drive and cook, so forth. I'm doing much better and once I was able to actually able to move started to drop weight again, so....I'll be happy if I get the decade of living before the next one they say I'll be in for. *smiles* Besides, if I get off another 60 pounds, maybe I'll be able to push that off a few years.
  • EadaoinThunder
    EadaoinThunder Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ck2d wrote: »
    ISuprisingly, not having problems getting my protein or keeping the carbs low, but getting my fats in.

Don't worry about this, just make sure your carbs don't creep up.
    Because - once you're in ketosis, your body will use your fat stores if you're not eating enough of them. In other words, you'll lose weight faster.
    Also, once you're in ketosis, you really won't be hungry as often. Eat when you're hungry, even if it doesn't hit you until 5 in the afternoon.

What I do is, keep my total carbs under 22 grams (which is 5%) for me) and then I make sure my macro percents stay on target if I don't eat my goal in a day.
    Say I eat 300 calories under target. I won't eat all my daily target of protein and carbs, because the percentages would be out of whack.

Tips for keeping the percentages in balance:
    Always eat the full fat versions of foods.
    If you're eating low fat proteins (mmm shrimp!) add fat to it in your preparation or as a sauce.
    Find a no carb go to snack - mine is pepperoni.
    Raw veggies (salads, etc) are your friends.
    I eat avocado (or guac) every single day.

I can totally do that, thanks! I've been wondering about avocados with them showing up in alot of recipes. *smiles* gonna have to try the mousse. Thank you.
  • palsky
    palsky Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My 94 yr old pop passed away last week has. A time of mixed emotions. Feeling positive having diet on track feels like I'm taking good care of myself, and was able to far well pop in a way that honoured his life glad he's resting in peace. Life is full of difficult things having some accountability helps to stay on track.
  • palsky
    palsky Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    16 net carbs. Got myself a set of digital scales so the tracking should be on point.
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    6/3

Total: 180
    Net: 171

Let's just say yesterday was a blur and involved a lot of beer. Feeling pretty awful today, but I'm trying to get back on track. Ugh, why do I do this to myself?
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    ck2d wrote: »

Don't worry about this, just make sure your carbs don't creep up.
    Because - once you're in ketosis, your body will use your fat stores if you're not eating enough of them. In other words, you'll lose weight faster.
    Also, once you're in ketosis, you really won't be hungry as often. Eat when you're hungry, even if it doesn't hit you until 5 in the afternoon.

What I do is, keep my total carbs under 22 grams (which is 5%) for me) and then I make sure my macro percents stay on target if I don't eat my goal in a day.
    Say I eat 300 calories under target. I won't eat all my daily target of protein and carbs, because the percentages would be out of whack.

Tips for keeping the percentages in balance:
    Always eat the full fat versions of foods.
    If you're eating low fat proteins (mmm shrimp!) add fat to it in your preparation or as a sauce.
    Find a no carb go to snack - mine is pepperoni.
    Raw veggies (salads, etc) are your friends.
    I eat avocado (or guac) every single day.

These are great tips!
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    palsky wrote: »
    My 94 yr old pop passed away last week has. A time of mixed emotions. Feeling positive having diet on track feels like I'm taking good care of myself, and was able to far well pop in a way that honoured his life glad he's resting in peace. Life is full of difficult things having some accountability helps to stay on track.

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad you are able to take care of yourself and appreciate your loved one's peace, those can be hard to do initially.
  • lovelifehealth
    lovelifehealth Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Start 150 lb
    Goal 120 lb
    I'm good at staying within my calorie goals, but need work improving my sugar & carb intake.

I could use more friends with open diaries. Thanks!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    GorillaNJ wrote: »
    Total Carbs 14
    Net Carbs 3

Had a great day keeping the carbs low, but I need to add some more veggies into the diet. My crop share landed me some swiss chard and Kohlrabi, both which seem to be really low carb and I have basically no idea how to cook. I did find a couple recipes on line, if they come out better than edible I will let you all know.

I'm mostly just lurking, since my carbs are usually low 50s and I think that's low enough to be ketosis for me so am focusing more on being under 60 total (and under 40 net), usually I am a bit lower.

HOWEVER, I do eat swiss chard and kohlrabi quite a lot. You can roast kohlrabi like any root veg, I add olive oil and salt, but my favorite way to eat it is raw with a little salt. It's a nice option if you want something crunchy and a bit salty.

My favorite uses of swiss chard is to put in omelets or to sautee in some oil, perhaps with garlic and onion or bacon, and just eat as a side. It's delicious. Tear the leaves off the stems and then chop up the stems and start them a bit earlier than the leaves if you have substantial stems.
  • Kimberlyrobinson87
    Kimberlyrobinson87 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Day 4 completed.

Total carbs: 8g
    Net carbs: 6g

Total calories: 906 calories
  • lovelifehealth
    lovelifehealth Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Calories 866
    Total Carbs 59
    Net Carbs 50
  • littlecrunchy190
    littlecrunchy190 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the May group!

Doing Keto and Intermittent Fasting. Keeping under 25 total carbs a day.

CW: 215
    End of June Goal Weight: 205

• GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    Well I did not track over the weekend but I did well. I had let myself enjoy the slightest of slip ups yesterday. I had my boys and a friend out at a fishing show, we stopped at our favorite hot dog stand (Hot Dog Johnnies if you are lucky enough to be Jersey) I got myself two hot dogs and did not eat the buns, got a diet coke to drink, and only stole 1 French Fry and one tiny sip of their own birch beer.

I ended up not doing anything super special with the Swiss Chard or Kohrabi. The Swiss Chard I sauteed it up with some bacon and a little onion served it as a side dish with some chicken. Yesterday I sauteed the Kohrabi leaves up with some spinach and garlic as a side for dinner, tonight I'm going to do something with that root, probably slice and roast it

I am not sure if it is the keto, or the weight going down, but I am noticing that in general I am feeling a lot better. Going to keep this game going!
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Even with my "fat bomb" chocolate avocado mousse, my fat still wasn't high enough.
    6/4Sunday: 37-5 = 32net carbs

Yesterday, I volunteered at a fundraiser and one of the vendors gave me a bag of fresh kettlecorn popcorn, which is one of my top weaknesses. I was able to bring it home to my family and not have any.
    Another vendor gave away 2-3 fresh oven-fire pizzas, and we were all starving, having worked almost 8hours without food, but I was able to drink my protein shake and head home for a dinner of chicken and salad.

Have a great day!
  • Colectable93
    Colectable93 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight since I had a mini stroke at the end of April . Down 16 pds, really watching what I eat , swimming s aqua exercises 3-4 days a week but thinking the weight is just hanging on . Going to start Atkins , any great tips would be appreciated . Stating weight 261 down to 245. Would like to lose at least 10-15 during June
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    6/3

Total: 180
    Net: 171

Let's just say yesterday was a blur and involved a lot of beer. Feeling pretty awful today, but I'm trying to get back on track. Ugh, why do I do this to myself?

6/4

Total: 78
    Net: 72

Today will be within the challenge restrictions.
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    Here are my net carbs from the past few days:
    Day 1: 5 carbs
    Day2: 20 carbs
    Day3: 12 carbs

Figuring out the macros as I go. I have lowered my protein (which was over) and increased my fat (which was under. So far I'm loving the foods and feeling full.
    My goal is to stay under 20 carbs for the month.

Do sugars count as carbs? I am staying under 5g a day so far. Will they affect ketosis? Should I aim for lower?

Feel like I'm off to a good start!

If you are under your carb goal,I wouldn't worry about lowering the sugar number. Sugar is a simple carbohydrate that your body converts to glucose during digestion. Any glucose that isn't burned/uses will turn into body fat deposits. By lowering your carb intake you are already lowering your sugar and fat-adapting (transitioning into burning body fat instead of glucose) because you aren't giving your body very much glucose to burn.
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    I am losing weight since I had a mini stroke at the end of April . Down 16 pds, really watching what I eat , swimming s aqua exercises 3-4 days a week but thinking the weight is just hanging on . Going to start Atkins , any great tips would be appreciated . Stating weight 261 down to 245. Would like to lose at least 10-15 during June

I hope you have a quick recovery!
  • megdnoorman
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @huango and @GorillaNJ great job! I need some of that will power!
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    @lemurcat12 thanks for the recipe ideas :)