Low carb (keto or otherwise) for June!

Options

Replies

• swancarla
    swancarla Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm in! Started keto 5 days ago, and I"m down from 241 to 237. Encouraging but I'm not expecting it will all go that fast. Goal weight is 160.

Been keeping carbs below 50 grams per day, eating veggies as I wish and one fruit a day... apple to go with some nut butter. My current favorite reward for a day of keto adherence.

Feeling very determined.
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    @swancarla Welcome to the challenge!
  • iloveturnipgreens
    iloveturnipgreens Posts: 6 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @megdnoorman thank you for answering my sugar question! As a beginner it can be overwhelming watching so many things :)

Day 5 I had 16 net carbs and feeling great
  • iloveturnipgreens
    iloveturnipgreens Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    huango wrote: »
    Even with my "fat bomb" chocolate avocado mousse, my fat still wasn't high enough.
    6/4Sunday: 37-5 = 32net carbs

Yesterday, I volunteered at a fundraiser and one of the vendors gave me a bag of fresh kettlecorn popcorn, which is one of my top weaknesses. I was able to bring it home to my family and not have any.
    Another vendor gave away 2-3 fresh oven-fire pizzas, and we were all starving, having worked almost 8hours without food, but I was able to drink my protein shake and head home for a dinner of chicken and salad.

Have a great day!

Days like that are hard. So very proud of you!
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    @megdnoorman thank you for answering my sugar question! As a beginner it can be overwhelming watching so many things :)

Day 5 I had 16 net carbs and feeling great

No problem :) if you haven't already, consider checking out the low carb message board: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

It contains tons of great info and tips for cutting carbs and maintaining a low carb or ketogenic diet.
  • waterliliesss
    waterliliesss Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    today's net carb: 38-11= 27
    very surprised with the carb content of my miso soup from itsu
  • waterliliesss
    Options
    Anyone is doing the ketosticks?
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    Anyone is doing the ketosticks?

I use them whenever I get out of ketosis to help me determine when I'm back in ketosis. I find them to be a good tool in that context, however, once you are fully fat-adapted many people stop releasing so many ketones in their urine, so they can be unreliable.
  • waterliliesss
    Options
    That's interesting I didn't know. How long does it take before we are fully fat adapted?
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    @waterliliesss I think it varies by the person and diet but the general consensus is about 3-4 weeks.

Here is a source article: https://medium.com/@davidludwigmd/adapting-to-fat-on-a-low-carb-diet-bfd0cd314e4e
  • Kimberlyrobinson87
    Kimberlyrobinson87 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Day 5 completed

Total carbs: 22g
    Net Carbs: 19g

Total calories: 1214
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    6/3

Total: 180
    Net: 171

Let's just say yesterday was a blur and involved a lot of beer. Feeling pretty awful today, but I'm trying to get back on track. Ugh, why do I do this to myself?

6/4

Total: 78
    Net: 72

Today will be within the challenge restrictions.

6/5

Total: 49
    Net: 36

Finally getting back on track!
  • lovelifehealth
    lovelifehealth Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    51 - 14 = 37
    This challenge is really helping! Thanks!
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    51 - 14 = 37
    This challenge is really helping! Thanks!

I'm glad it's helping you :) accountability challenges definitely help to keep me from giving up after a bad day or two etc.
  • wljohn
    wljohn Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    I'll join. My starting weight in November 2014 when I finally got serious about getting healthy was 220 pounds. I am currently at 162.5 pounds. My goal weight is somewhere between 145-150 pounds, but more importantly body fat under 30% and eventually around 25%. I did the keto diet from mid July - beginning of November last year and was down to 152 pounds and 27% body fat. With the holidays, vacation and quite a bit of stress in March I gained back quite a bit. I started doing keto again in April and have done pretty well until the last couple of weeks. I'm hoping this challenge will keep me on track. My daily calorie goal is 1500-1600 calories.

Total carbs today 29
    Net carbs 16
    Total calories 1554
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    47 Total Carbs
    30 net carbs

Was a pretty good day, little higher carb counts than I would normally aim for but I did find a new love for Kohlrabi. I ended up just kind of chunking it and sauteing it, the bulb was so tasty. I hope that I get another one this week with the crop share.

Had a good lifting session last night, tonight I will be getting in a bit of cardio before taking the littlest gorilla to wrestling practice tonight. I need to find a good way to take advantage of that time instead of just sitting and watching. It is too far to get to my gym, and its not really an area made for taking a walk or a run, busy tight roads.
  • dianasturgeon
    dianasturgeon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join if I'm not too late? I started Keto 10 days ago and have been successful. Would love to be challenged as well as learn & share tips/tricks.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    28 total - 2 fiber = 26 total
    18 total - 7 fiber = 11 total
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    @wljohn welcome to the challenge!

@dianasturgeon you can join at any point! What are your stats?
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    GorillaNJ wrote: »
    47 Total Carbs
    30 net carbs

Was a pretty good day, little higher carb counts than I would normally aim for but I did find a new love for Kohlrabi. I ended up just kind of chunking it and sauteing it, the bulb was so tasty. I hope that I get another one this week with the crop share.

Had a good lifting session last night, tonight I will be getting in a bit of cardio before taking the littlest gorilla to wrestling practice tonight. I need to find a good way to take advantage of that time instead of just sitting and watching. It is too far to get to my gym, and its not really an area made for taking a walk or a run, busy tight roads.

I need to give kohlrabi a try, I'm so intrigued.